TI can't boot from a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimmy_wong50, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmy_wong50

jimmy_wong50 Registered Member

Hi,

I'd recently installed a new SATA II hard disk to my system (The first hard disk is an IDE one). I'd like to have the Secure Zone setup on the first partition which is configured as a primary partition, on this disk. I'd also modified the bootup sequence from the BIOS to include this hard disk and the sequence is read CD-ROM, HDD-0, HDD-1. However, when I activate the Startup Recovery Manager, I was given an error message saying that

The hard disk you have selected is not available when booting your PC and you will be able to restore data from Acronis Secure Zone located on this drive only from Windows.

what I should do to make the Startup Recovery Manager to work with the second hard disk?

Any suggestion or advise is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jimmy

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you boot from the Acronis TI Recovery CD, can you see the new SATA drive? Can you see folders on that drive?

If not, then you can't use that drive as the source for images in the SecureZone or just in a folder when restoring the boot partition.

3. jimmy_wong50

jimmy_wong50 Registered Member

Thank you, jmk94903,

I tried to create a Recovery CD from TI but it failed to create one without telling me what the reason was. Worst, when the operation failed, it made my CD drive unuseable (I can't see the CD drive from Windows Explorer as well) and I'd left with no choice but to reboot the system. I also noticed that shutting down process takes a much longer time than before. Does TI modify the shut down process too? After a few attempts of creating the Recovery CD failed, I was disappointed with this software (Well, I was impressed with its features initially).

Thank you once again to jmk94903.
    Jimmy

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Jimmy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

There are several workarounds in case you cannot create Acronis True Image Bootable CD:

1. Please make sure that you are using a blank unformatted CD-R or CD-RW disc, as other types of media cannot be used to create a bootable rescue CD.

2. Boot into Safe mode (press F8 when Windows starts up and choose Safe mode to boot into) and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

3. Update any third-party CD-writing software installed on the computer to the latest version available for free on its respective web-site.

4. Uninstall any CD burning software temporarily and then create Acronis True Image Bootable CD.

5. If you use Windows XP please uncheck the "Enable CD recording on this drive" box in the "Recording" tab (to get to this tab please right click on the CD-drive in "My computer" and choose "Properties").

6. One more workaround:

- Eject any disc from the burner prior to starting the program;
    - Proceed until the program asks for a disc;
    - Insert a disc and then click the OK button to close the tray automatically.

Having created Acronis Bootable Rescue CD please boot from it and check whether you are able to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager from there.

In case you still cannot create Acronis Bootable Rescue CD please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected report file and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.