TI (build 3567) Error E00030004 Poor Media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by smallpotato, May 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smallpotato

smallpotato Registered Member

I received this error after doing this: Create Backup Wizard - Entire disk - HDD c: - archive location: d:\mybackup.tib (I'm using a LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S PS01) -new Full backup -these options: Compression Level = None; All Media Components checked; the rest I left at default.

I left the DVD tray open until prompted by TI to insert media. The media I inserted was a Memorex dual layer DVD+R disc which was previously formatted using Nero InCD. I clicked proceed and watched the green progress bar fill up 25% then the poor media error showed up. Granted, I had the 'Enable CD recording on this drive' checked under the drive's Properties.

I really don't like the idea of wasting $3 to burn another beer mat (dual layer DVDs are expensive and I have only 9 left).

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 and all current SP3 hotfixes. Here is my burner: http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/DVDRW_1673S.htm . The Memorex D/L DVD+Rs are here: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=337562&pfp=cat3 .

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Maybe there's some arcane or obvious tweak I'm missing. Dunno. Any ideas? Really appreciate any/all input as I have 9 more trys(discs) before I quit. :'(

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You have selected one of the most troublesome ways to do backups - directly to dvd media and I would not be surprised if the dual layer media added to the complication. Save your sanity and get an external usb hard drive for your backups. But whichever media you choose, I always find it better to use the bootable TI cd instead of running TI from within Windows.

3. smallpotato

I kinda figured that out after reading posts here... Though if Acronis' software doesn't do what it says it can, then why didn't I just get Ghost to begin with? My answer to my own question: Money. TrueImage cost less than Symantec/Norton Ghost. The reviewers from many sites said TI was impressive and better than Ghost. :doubt: Dunno. I used old Ghost versions at work, but never for burning images. Always off an n: drive.

It's funny you bring up external HDD. I did think of that as a solution, but then again I considered the money. An internal burner, TI, and a few discs costs less than an ext. HDD and TI. Plus it would be nice to watch DVDs.

Yes, I can see where booting into only TI without all the other shiznit would definitely keep it simpler and streamline the process. Good advice Chutsman -thanks.

My #9 attempt will be to make the image onto the c: after using the TI boot. After that I'll go into Windoze and then I guess use Nero to burn the .tib onto the D/L DVD. There seem to be many questions about packet writing software.

Hmm... Maybe they should provide a few free quality DVD-R's with any/all burning and backup software.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I agree although according to Acronis it is supposed to work with D/L. I was going to suppress my opinion of Memorex but I looked at the D/L product reviews and there were a lot of people who had trouble with Memorex and none with Verbatim, to be fair, there were some who were happy with the Memorex disks.

What I don't understand is the desire to use expensive D/L disks. Even at 2 DVDs /DL disk it is still about 30% the cost. I also would debug the burning process fully with single-layer disks starting with some R/Ws until I was confident enough to go to single layer +R, then go to a D/L; there are too many variables in burning. I would also ensure I had the latest or what is considered a good, stable version of the drive's firmware.

By far, my preferred method is to write the image to a HD and then burn it onto a DVD - the 2-step method, and then have the burning program do a verify.

5. smallpotato

The fewer discs here -the better. My brother and mother need to be able to figure this out when I'm gone. A lot of games have 4 CDs when they could fit everything on 1 DVD. Probably just a personal preference is all. I don't care, but I want to keep things as simple and easy as possible for my relatives.

http://club.cdfreaks.com CDFreaks have a bunch of info. but I didn't wade through all the tests on media. My local DumpUSA only carries a few brands. Some are more expensive and others are dirt cheap. I opted for Memorex because it was $30 for 10 -their best deal on D/L s. Nothing is simple. Always a plethora of variables. I wonder how many CD-R/DVD-R hanging mobiles decorate the offices of Acronis... :thumb:

6. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

Might be a good place to start by checking your hardware. My first thought is that Nero should not allow a format of non RW media. A quick check via google yielded Nero's web site which shows the text:

"Nero InCD 4.3.23.3 Nero InCD - Rewritable CDs and DVDs can be formatted to allow them to be written to from any program."

I would advise you spend some practice time with your new hardware to make sure it works properly. :thumb:

7. seekforever

Yes, I missed that. Based on info provided in this forum, InCD will not format a +R DVD although it seems that Roxio's version whatever it's called (DirectCD?)will "format" a +R. Obviously it isn't a formatting in the conventional sense of the term.

8. smallpotato

I'm obviously not as familiar with burning images to disc as you are. Could you please explain what you mean by spending some practice time with my new hardware? Do you think my DVD burner is not functioning properly? I appreciate the correction, though I am not sure how this helps me.

9. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

I just think you should consider the small stuff - Like that your program can't format anything other than an RW disk and you may have inadvertently caused your own error.
    Have you tried SEEKFOREVER's suggestion of using different, smaller capacity disks? I can feel you cringing at spending more money, but sometimes you have to do what it takes.

10. smallpotato

I've never used InCD before today but I know Nero will write to DVD-R's and do dual layer burning -though I'm not sure how well. I have DVD-R's and CD-R's yet those only become viable if I absolutely cannot use True Image 9.0 to make a recovery image on a D/L DVD+R. I'm trying to fit ALL of the OS, apps, etc. onto ONE disc. These D/L DVD's will hold 8.5GB. My drive is listed as being able to burn the double layer discs.

Does True Image 9.0 support recovering images burned to a DVD+R D/L using Nero? Does True Image support anything regarding D/L DVD? If so, then What extra software and procedures are different/need to be done in order to accomodate this standard for backup and recovery?

Tech1 - Do you recommend not using my D/L DVD+R's and use DVD±R's, DVD±RW's, CD±RW's, or CD-R's instead? Why?

11. seekforever

Yes, Nero will indeed burn +/-R RWs etc; I do it all the time. However, TI requires that you use packet writing which means using Nero's packet writing software - InCD. Also, TI has limitations on which version of packet writing is acceptable but I can't remember the exact verison number.
    InCD can format DVD RWs for use with TI but InCD cannot format a DVD +/-R disk. Roxio apparently has some "trick" that amounts to a formatting a DVD +R disk. Just how it works and how you use it I don't know but you should be able to search for posts on this forum discussing it.

I believe I saw a post from Acronis stating that D/L disks can be used. It seems to me though that D/L disks suffer from compatibility issues in different readers; that may not be an issue. I also notice that most D/L users are dealing with video not large data file backups - this is my personal observation not a scientific one. The point here is that one bad bit and a image archive is deemed corrupted. This is why I do the 2-step method with verify on single layer write-once disks. I only use RWs for taking captured video to my TV/player.

I appreciate your desire to put everything on 1 disk but you must remember that the absolute primary requirement for a data backup is that you can recover your data from it.

12. smallpotato

True -recovering data (in my case OS & the whole shebang) is the bottom line. You have been most helpful seekforever. You should get a commission from Acronis' support department!

I'm going to do some D/L searching now to see what I can find on DVD9 and how/to what degree Acronis supports it.

Software needs to keep abreast of new and improved technology even if it is at the bleeding edge. Although from what I understand DVD9 has been around a while (movies on DVD). If my hardware supports it then the only question is if the software can interface with the hardware. I'll see what I can do with my remaining D/L discs. I'll definitely err on the side of caution and follow your advice on making the image on the HDD then verify the integrity of the image.

If anyone has any luck making images with D/L DVD+R's please let me know!

After a little searching in these forums this seems to be the best D/L info. link from Acronis so far: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=128688&highlight=dual+layer

Their Linux kernel likes UDF 1.5 but no later than 2.1 apparently. It also seems like the only option available if that is the route chosen is Roxio, not Nero. There looks to be a lot of apprehension about packet writing software so my plan is to avoid that whole can of worms and use actual burning software via. the popular 2-step method.

All of this makes me wonder why Acronis doesn't make their software a One-Stop-Shop where you can A) compose an image using their software (either full or files) B) handoff to their custom burning software C) write to media. Perhaps Acronis can contact Nero or Roxio and make some plans for a joint-venture to save users the tinkering and wasted test discs in a future version of their imaging/backup product. I imagine if I'm voicing this now then at least a couple hundred other people are thinking the same thing.

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  13. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

FWIW - I tried Nero INCD to format a DVD-9. The option is greyed out, as it is looking for an RW format. I don't think the DL's come in an RW format.

In any case, good that you are going to accomplish your task by other means. Sometimes you just have to do what works. I manually burn my images to DL discs with no problem.

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hello smallpotato,
    You seem determined to use DVDs for backing up your system. Sure it will work but as you have the need for others to do backups/ restores when you are not there it is not the route that I would choose.
    Backup to a hard drive is far easier and simpler and to my mind less open to error. My system backs itself up every day to a slave HDD. This runs automatically to a schedule and no one need be present. To make it even easier these backups go to a Secure Zone on the slave drive. As the SZ stores images on a FIFO basis the management of the backups is also automatic.
    In fact the only manual intervention is if or when a recovery is necessary. This operation is again very simple for anyone to do. One just boots from the rescue CD and follows the prompts to either rewrite the main drive or do a bare metal restore to a new HDD if the old one is broken.

Anyway have fun with your DVDs, I would rather let Acronis do ALL the work.

Xpilot.

15. seekforever

A good piece of information. Do you have any brand preferences?

16. smallpotato

Xpilot: I hear you. The external HDD is what my buddy is doing. Were I to do it all over again I would probably invest in an external HDD and do it that way as well. At the time I based my decision upon saving money by going with an internal DVD etc. burner and a few D/L discs. An external HDD was a bit more expensive. The data is more reliable on an external HDD for certain. LOL Then I'd be messing around with making IEEE1394 work on my system as opposed to USB.

seekforever: Good question. I wonder what software seems best as well. There are options beside Nero and Roxio though I'm not familiar with them. Maybe one of the Clone___ products. I wonder whether Nero or Roxio is better for images. Probably depends on the version of the software as well as the compatibility with TI .tib's, OS, burner firmware & driver, etc.

My OEM Nero 6.6 that came with the burner likes split up the one large .tib into 2 GB pieces with a .nc_ extension. It also places these in a folder and requires a 4KB .nbi file if you choose to backup your .tib file from the HDD. I haven't used Nero since version 5 so I'm going to have to play around with this version. Once again, any useful input on Nero 6.6 is appreciated.

I feel that Acronis should incorporate burning to various available media from within their kernel. Maybe in the next version. I wonder if Ghost or other software will handle D/L's and other media types without requiring external 3rd party software. I figure I bought the sandwich already so I should try to figure something out.:doubt:

17. Tech1

Tech1 Registered Member

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello smallpotato,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Yes, I am afraid that the current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing software. We may recommend you to install a UDF-packet DVD-writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

As Alexey mentioned in this thread you found, dual layer DVDs are supported and can be used in the same way as usual DVDs.

Please also note that DVD-R disks are not supported in Acronis True Image. We may recommend you to use DVD-RW and DVD+R(W) discs instead.
    DVD+RW and DVD-RW discs can be formatted by any of the third-party UDF-packet DVD-writing applications, while DVD+R at this moment can be formatted only by Roxio Drag To Disc.

We may recommend you to update any third-party CD/DVD-writing software installed on the computer to the latest version available on the respective web-site. You can also try to decrease the burning speed of your DVD drive by half in order to reduce the possibility of data corruption.

We will certainly implement direct DVD recording in Acronis True Image in the future.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.