TI and portable hard drives/USB Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Big_tex, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big_tex

Big_tex Registered Member

Hello,

I have a 6GB Seagate Portable Hard Drive (not flash drive) that I run Portable Thunderbird on and therefore it has all my emails.

When plugged in XP is reporting it as a Removable Disk.

For some reason TI will not allow me to make an image (from Windows) of the drive. Is there any way around this? Does Version 10 maybe fix this? I am still using 9.x

FWIW The free image program Drive Image XML WILL allow me to copy it. But of course it has the limitations that alot of free programs have. Cannot schedule, etc, etc.

Thanks
    David

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi BigTex

Can you please provide screenshots (or accurate text explanation) of the error message that ATI is giving you when you try to create the image.

Which method are you using to create the backup? (Clone, Image, Files & Folders).

T.

3. Big_tex

I'm not getting any kind of errors. I have the drive plugged in, Windows ZP shows it as a Remove able Drive in My Computer. When I launch ATI it displays all "available" drives that one can make an image with. My portable drive does not show up.

Thanks
    David

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Are you running from within windows or from the rescue CD?

5. Big_tex

From within Windows. For my ultimate goal is to set up a scheduled backup.

Thanks
    David

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Hi David

The reason that it is not showing is that the "device driver" has been written is such a way as to identify this drive to the Windows OS as removeable media - much the same as optical or flash media.

Windows tells ATI that the drive is "removeable media", which ATI then ignores because ATI does not backup "removeable media" - which is quite logical and understandable.

The only way forward that I can see is if you wrote to Seagate and explained the problem to them. They may have another or an updated version of the driver which will identify it to Windows as a USB hard disk drive. That would solve the problem.

Good Luck... :)

7. Big_tex

Got it, thanks for the explanation.

I guess I'll just do a manual image creation weekly with the freeware proggie Drive Image XML.

Regards all for the replies.

David

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Big_tex,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that you can back up removable media using "Files and Folders" method. You can find the detailed instructions in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

9. Big_tex

Thanks Maret.

Is that something that is new to 9.x? I mistakingly said earlier that I am running 9.x but I'm not. I am still using 8.x.

Thanks
    David

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David,

Yes, the ability to perform file-based backup ("Files and Folders" method Marat offered) was implemented in version 9.x of Acronis True Image.

Please note that since you own a previous version of Acronis True Image you could purchase the latest version at a discounted rate. Please visit Acronis online store in order to purchase the upgrade.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.