TI 9, ver.2337 DVD backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MojoWorkin, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

Edited post:
    The weird way it saves the images are in reverse order.
    Unbelievable how TI9 makes things so difficult.
    I won't renew my subscription.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MojoWorkin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what you mean under "in reverse order"? What is the main difficulty for you in using Acronis True Image?
    Please describe the operation you have tried to perform in more details.

We will certainly consider your suggestions and will do our best in order to help in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I've got bad news for you. TI9 isn't by subscription. You can use it (or not use it) for the rest of your life without paying another cent. You only have to pay if you want a new version, such as when version 8 was superceded by version 9.

You might do a friend a favor by transfering your license to him or her so that they can backup their system. :)

Seriously, I'm sorry the program didn't work out for you. If you want to discuss your problems with it, you'll find support and help on this forum.

4. MojoWorkin

At first, I had so many troubles trying to make DVD backups images with no success.
    I kept getting "image quality" errors, or something, so I replaced my DVDRW, no good. Reading the Acronis page, it said DVD writing was possible. What it failed to say, is that another burner software was needed. This didn't go over very well with me.
    So, I got the InCD software, even though I can't stand Ahead/Nero, and started making images. I'm glad I was able to just install InCD and not all of Nero. (I had nero 6 once, and unistalled it, it left over 200 dead registry entries to clean out manually)
    Here's the main trouble I had when I posted:
    It asked me to label the first one Volume 1, which I did. Then it made the DVD images in reverse order, starting with 10 going down to 1, adding the individual file to the "one" prefix, confusing me. Hard to explain, but I had images labeled 110, 19,18,17, (etc.), to 11. It then asked for the images DVD's as "Volume 1", "Volume 9" when I saw "Volume 110", "Volume 19", etc. As far as I could see, I never had a "Volume 9", or "Volume 7"...
    It created the image DVD's in one order, but asked to verify in reverse order:
    Last created, first verified.
    This is what I meant.
    I finally figured out what is was asking for, by trying all the disks everytime it asked for one, but it wasn't clear in it's meaning.
    True, I now have my Images stored on DVD, but the hassle in all that was needed to do this was unecessary, and just labeling each DVD by a single number/letter would be easier for a non-tech person to understand. (Disk1, Disk2, etc)
    I feel for $50 it should be able to burn by itself, without a third party product controlling DVD labeling/formatting.
    Sorry if this still doesn't expain what I meant, but I really wasn't in the best mood when I first posted, so I came back and edited my first post to be what you read instead of trying to say all this then.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Mojo, you have selected the most difficult way to store your backup images - on dvd media using InCd to preformat them. If you must put your images on dvd, what is called the "two step" method is better. In other words, first make the backup images suitably sized on a hard drive, then burn them to dvd.

But with large hard drives relatively inexpensive now, it is easier and less prone to problems, to store your backup images to a hard drive whether internal or external. And, when needed, carry out the Restore from the hard drive. With Restoring, you will also have less problems using a hard drive rather than DVD media.

TI is not polished enough to be flawless when it comes to dvd media.

6. simusphere

simusphere Registered Member

As you found out, things don't always work like you expect them to. There are many posts on these forums about backing up to DVD just do a search on DVD. I have found the packet writing software to be a hassel indeed and I don't use it. What I do is backup to a network share, local disk, or external usb drive using the split image function (so the image is in managalble chuncks). Then the image can be backed up in any number of ways using what ever burning software you wish to use. I prefer using mkisofs wich is a free utility for linux or windows. I am not going through the details here since all of this and more has already been posted elswhere in these forums.

I will say that when the images are split, they are automatically suffixed with a 1, 2, 3 ... So all the images are in order and understandable. If however you name your image backup1 and then it appends a 1 on the end you end up with backup11, backup12, backup13 ... So what I do is always name my images backup_, that way it is more readable (backup1_1, backup1_2, backup1_3, ...).

I understand what you are trying to do and what you expect the Acronis software to do but it may have some issues that still need to be worked out. The general consensus seems to be: Use an external USB drive or a network share for your images. Life is greatly simplified that way.

If you must have the images stored on DVD then please search the forums on this subject.

7. MojoWorkin

At least I seem to have conveyed my issue clear enough to be understood.
    Now, I might add, I do place more copies of backups in other places:
    1.) My F:\ Secure Zone (WD 40GB internal HDD)
    2.) H:\Backups\Windows\Acronis (Seagate 250GB HDD)(extra .tib)
    But, I had an issue where my MBR was damaged and I couldn't even "see" any drives but the Seagate 250 w/o any OS on it, and my optical drives.
    I'm not really sure how it repaired itself, I took all the drives out and replaced them one-by-one and finally it worked again. :rolleyes:
    I tried the recovery CD and the floppys I made, but there was no way to "see" the Secure Zone or any OS, so the backups I had couldn't be accessed.
    I wanted to have an image on DVD to use if this happened again, hopefully to simply transfer image to C:\ again. I'm still not positive that would work, but I wanted it in case this happened again.
    Prolly wouldn't work, just because I need it to... ha :blink:
    But thanks for the replies.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you can't boot up the recovery CD and see your images stored on other drives then you will have a big problem if your disk dies. Apart from setting up Windows again and installing TI, how are you going to restore your archives?

You need to find out why you can't start the standalone CD version and see your images. Post what happens when you try to bootup the CD.

9. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I personally us Reatgo with Mustang's TI 9.0 plugin. See the following thread.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=125000&highlight=reatgo

Its a windows environment not Linux. Its performed flawlessly for me.

10. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

InCD is notoroiusly unreliable. I suggest you head over to CDRLabs or CDFreaks and read a bit. Always better to burn a non-multi-session disc via standard burning app.

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

InCD 4 has undergone major bug fixes in the past couple of years (currently stands at version 4.3.23.2). Notwithstanding, I've been using Nero Burning ROM and InCD for years (always with branded media) and have never had a problem. Call me a lucky begger if you like :D.

Regards

12. MojoWorkin

Thomasjk,
    I went the the posted links and read about using the Reatogo, and dnld it:
    But my Kaspersky AV seems to think it's dangerous as "riskware", not a virus.
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/drwngflies/Reatogo.jpg
    Here is where I dnld it from:
    http://www.reatogo.de/Reatogo_Downloads.htm
    I've never had KAV show this report, either its adware, trojan, virus or clean, this "riskware" is new to my eyes.
    Is this Kaspersky reporting false positives? or did I get a bad dnld?
    I am also asking this to KAV forums, hopefully it's a false "hit".
    Thnx

13. thomasjk

If you downloaded it from http://www.reatogo.de/ you are OK. See this link for the "false positives" issue. http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15674

Its not riskware at all.

14. MojoWorkin

Thanks Thomasjk,
    Yes, I got the dnld from:
    http://www.reatogo.de/Reatogo_Downloads.htm
    I just left Kaspersky forums and I now know I had an extra scan function enabled that I missed:
    "riskware, adware, auto dialers"
    I don't remember enabling this, but it was, and that was the issue.
    When scanned without it, all was good to go.
    Thanks again for the help, going back to dnld again.
    Do I need the "plugins pack" they offer as well?
    Or only the Mustang plugins mentioned above?
    Peace

15. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You explained it very clearly.
    That's very smart. Personally, I wouldn't use the secure zone, but that's personal preference. I like to be able to copy or burn an image, and you can't do that with images in a secure zone.
    If you couldn't see the drives in the BIOS, then something very odd was going on. If you could see the drives in the BIOS, the TI Recovery CD should have been able to see all the drives and restore an image to the C drive/partition. The Recovery CD is entirely selfcontained and doesn't relie on any info from any hard drive on the system.
    You could just boot from the TI Recovery CD and restore the image on the DVD disks (or from a USB drive or on a different partition) to the C partition.

Here's one important point. If your boot drive is partitioned into more than one partition; and if the MBR is damaged, restoring only the C (boot) partition may not result in a bootable drive because the MBR will not be restored. The MBR is included in the archive image only if the entire drive (all partitions) are included in the image. Of course, you can probably fix the MBR with a variety of utilities, but it will require an extra step.

16. MojoWorkin

My Main Drive (Drive 1) is the C:\ with OS installed, no other partitions there.
    When the MBR was fooked, I saw (In My Computer and BIOS) only Drive 4 (Seagate 250GB, G:\Games and H:\Stuff - stored files, which it tried to label: C:\) and my two optical drives, (D:\ and E:\) not the Drive 1 (80GB C:\ OS) or Drive 2 (40GB F:\Secure Zone, I:\Saved) or Drive 3 (160GB J:\Jukebox - Stored files).
    SS of My Computer before and now:
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/drwngflies/MyComp.jpg

I was solely relying on the Secure Zone for my images prior to this.
    Am I correct in assuming the SZ is only for those with only one HDD?
    Should I simply create my image on my WD 40GB and after making image, unplug it from Mobo? but leave it in case?
    It's an IDE, would this screw up my drive letters?
    Would this be better than my current setup? I can move my DATA on I:\ saved and drop it any where, it's only key codes and purchased installers for applications.
    I didn't have a image on DVD when this ocurred, that's why I was so needing to create one as soon as possible, after I dealt with this trouble.
    Now, I have an extra image (.tib) stored on the 250GB plus one in SZ, and now, I have a 4 DVD set external, in case this happens again.
    I don't have clue as to how it corrected itself, I only removed each drive (physically) and installed them back one at a time and it finally worked.
    I just replaced the Samsung 160GB ala RMA...
    Faulty Wire? Bad Connection? Donno... I lost no DATA, so it must have been hardware related I assume.

To Thomasjk:
    I am trying the Reatogo, and created image of SP2 disk, but after it gets to the end, where it should burn, I get an error. It tries to burn onto the WinXP disk.
    When it kicks out the WiNXP SP2 disk, and reloads into the drive, it stops.
    I can't catch it quick enough to remove the WinXP disk and insert a blank CD to burn. There is only a Stop button, not a pause to give me more time to load the blank CD. If I click Stop, it resets and I can't start it again, without re-imaging the WinXP CD.
    Do I just locate the image in Reatogo and use another program to burn it?
    If so, why bother with this, and just continue with TI9 and do same?
    I'm not real literate when it comes to entering scripts or cmd prompt inputs, I'm basically a GUI guy, and I'm sorry if my limited knowledge is hampering my understanding of exactly what I need to do, or in what order I need to do things.
    If this isn't the place to ask about Reatogo, plz PM me, to discuss this more, or I'll take this topic to Software thread.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  17. thomasjk

I am trying the Reatogo, and created image of SP2 disk, but after it gets to the end, where it should burn, I get an error. It tries to burn onto the WinXP disk.
    When it kicks out the WiNXP SP2 disk, and reloads into the drive, it stops.
    I can't catch it quick enough to remove the WinXP disk and insert a blank CD to burn. There is only a Stop button, not a pause to give me more time to load the blank CD. If I click Stop, it resets and I can't start it again, without re-imaging the WinXP CD. Mojoworkin, copy the entire contents of your WinXp SP2 disk to the hard drive and use that location as your WinXP source.
    If you wish you can just let it create the .ISO file as shown below or put in a CD and let it burn. I let it create the ISO file usually.

Attached Files:

18. MojoWorkin

Thanks again for your patience with me.
    What I did, was leave the Burn CD/DVD option enabled, and when the "post" processing of .iso was starting, I ejected the WinXP CD and loaded the blank one, quicker than it asked for it, and succeeded.
    I'll try your instructions next time, seems easier... :blink:
    I now have 4 DVD's from TI9 plus the emerg. Boot CD and 8 emerg. Boot floppys and the Reatogo image on CD.
    If I can't make any of these work, best to just start over with basic install.

Thanks to everyone who put up with my lack of experience with these appls.

19. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MojoWorkin,

Please note that Acronis Secure Zone was designed for those who has only one hard drive. Since you have another hard drive just for backup purposes you can simply unplug it after the backup creation and keep in a safety place. Please note that when you will plug the drive again it will get the drive letter which is free. You can change drive letter assignments if you want by using the Disk Management snap-in in Microsoft Windows XP.

Please note that since Acronis Secure Zone is a hidden protected partition on the hard disk drive this partition is inaccessible by the operating system and applications other than Acronis True Image. As I can see from your screen shot Acronis Secure Zone is visible in Windows. Therefore, in order to use it properly I would recommend that you either recreate Acronis Secure Zone or delete it, if you will not use it.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

20. MojoWorkin

21. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi MojoWorkin,

Just to clarify Aleksandr's statement. Do not "delete" the Secure Zone (SZ) via DDS 10 or Windows Disk Management otherwise you will be left with unallocated disk space equal to the deleted SZ. Use TI's Manage Acronis Secure Zone wizard to "remove" the SZ, thereby returning the previously used disk space to your chosen partition.

Regards

22. MojoWorkin

Yes, I understand it must be removed via TI9, and I did so.
    I left the two partitions in place, but formatted the F:\ as NTFS and saved a new full copy of C:\ (.tib) on it.
    I still have my I:\ part. with saved installers and key codes.
    I unplugged it from IDE and power and left in place in Tower. (internal)
    I'll make my daily images and save them to H:\ (different drive from OS) and every 2 weeks, re-create a new image on the extra drive.
    My screw hole threads are going to be worn out soon, since this is an aluminum case. :rolleyes:
    Guess I could get an external case and use USB, but my desk is crowded now.
    Thanks everyone who gave help and advice with my troubles.

23. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You still have the screws for your case!!!!!! :) :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.