TI 9 --> TI 11

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by anettis, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anettis

anettis Registered Member

I am about to upgrade from TI 9 --> TI 11. Will TI 11 work with my file backups and disk images created in TI 9? Fingers crossed for a yes!!

o_O

I realize if push comes to shove I can use the boot disk for TI 9 to recover the older file backups and/or images but in a perfect world I would like to be able to access everything with the new version.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Well...............save your old installation files in case #11 gives you problems & then you can revert back to it. I have a new update but my old version works so I'm keeping it.
    If it ain't broke , don't fix it!:D

i

3. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

#11 should work but can't be sure.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Acronis doesn't guarantee it but user reports are that it works.

Alternatively, if you save you BootCD from 9, you could always use that if push came to shove. That's if we're talking about backing up/restoring with the same machine.

If you wanted to restore to a newer machine that 9 doesn't work with but 11 does. If that's the risk, then you'd want make a backup of the original disk with 11. Even if 11 works with version 9 backups, 12 or 13, etc. might not. Sooner or later yo need to update or give up the backup.

This is a problem big organizations face. They have backup tapes going back many years, but the hardware/software that can run it hasn't been built for quite a while (the manufacturers might not exist any more) and those older backup tapes are virtually useless. The smarter organizations do conversions of the tapes that they want to retain when they change to incompatible hardware/software.

5. anettis

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Is there a conversion utility within TI to convert an archive from one or two releases back to the current release so as to be able to ensure compatibility with future upgrades (since they come out so often). This would allow customers to upgrade their archives when upgrading their software - thus eliminating this issue altogether as well as making the option to upgrade even more appealing. I realize one could do this simply by restoring and then re-archiving but this could get tedious.

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Nope. Tedium it is.;)

7. jabbax

jabbax Registered Member

From personal experience, TI 9 has been completely reliable and has saved me on numerous occassions. I help a family member maintain a small business IT setup and TI 9 has put employees back to work within hours of a hard drive crash without data loss. Recently, I purchased TI 11 upgrade and installed on my home system. I have not tried a data restore yet but am having doubts since the backup quota functions and limit number of backups function just do not work with any reliability. Got the latest TI 11 update and still no workie. Also, there is very little Acronis documentation on how this should work. If they get the bugs worked out, this will be an awesome product. So, IMHO, TI 11 is just not ready for the road since, due to tech problems, it offers me no advantages over TI 9 which is tried and true for me. Just my $.02.......

8. anettis

Thanks for the heads up. A new notebook I am getting will have Vista on it. I don't think TI 9 supports Vista - so I suspect I more or less have to take the plunge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.