TI 9 suddenly not cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Blitzkreig75, Jan 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blitzkreig75

Blitzkreig75 Registered Member

EDIT: Further down in the thread you can see that I have circumvented this problem, but I've provided a link in the 'Wish List' forum to this thread in hopes that it will get the attention of the R&D team.

Hello.

This is my first post here. I have been using TI 9 for almost one full year. It's been the absolute best backup/cloning solution for my needs - until today.

Since I began using the progam, I have only performed one process, (cloning for total backup), and it has gone flawlessly every time except now. Here's the system specs:

2x 120Gb Maxtor Diamondmax 9 Plus' SATA 150's in RAID0
    DFI Infinity DAGF
    Antec Neo Power HE500
    A64 4400+ Toledo
    2x 512 Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR500 2, 2, 2, 6 @ 200MHz
    AIT x800XL PCI-e
    Lite-On DVDROM
    Samsung CDRW

What I do is put a Seagate 120Gb SATA 7200RPM drive in as a non-RAID drive and clone the array to the non-RAID'ed drive for a backup of all data on a second physical drive, wich I then remove and store.

As I stated above, I have done this numberous times, (about once every month or two), with no problems at all. I simply booted off the array, and used the GUI to 'Clone Disk'. I would use the automatic settings, and delete the destination drive's partition, and save all the data on the source disk.

This last time I've attempted this procedure, when the cloning begins, I see the usual light blue screen where it's "Analyzing partitions", etc... but the actual cloning never takes place. After the partitions are successfuly analyzed, the part where the cloning would take place is not there, and some information scrolls too quickly to read, (this is where the cloning progress WOULD be), then I see the message that I have successfully completed the cloning procedure, with the 'press any key to turn off your computer".

When I put the single drive in and attempt to boot off it, I see "Error loading operating system". This did not surprise me since the drive never actualy got copied.

I've tried using the manual configuration, formating the drive with XP before using Acronis, formating the drinve with Acronis, 'add'ing the drive with Acronis, and wiping the drive with Killdisk before the cloning. Nothing works. This is quite frustrating because TI is telling me the cloning is completed, but it's obvious that it's not cloning. ><

I really don't want to hear about making a rescue disk and so forth because I never had to before and I shouldn't have to now. So, please, don't suggest I do it another way. I know it is supposed to work like this because it did work like this.

Someone, anyone, PLEASE tell me what the hell is wrongo_O?

EDIT: I am running WIndows XP Pro. Up-to-date. SP2

EDIT: I just tried it again, this time I noticed that the message I thought I saw speed by is actualy no message at all. It finishes 'Checking' partitions, and seems to skip the copying portion. This is really frustrating. ><

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  2. Blitzkreig75

Further atetmpts and examination reveal nothing in the event log withing TI, absolutely no change in the destianation drive, (still unallocated), yet TI is telling me that it's been completed.

I even re-installed TI with the same results...

Jesus freaking H christ this is annoying..................

Does this spftware expire or somethingo_O

3. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since it used to work and now it doesn't and you are happy your hardware is fine then I'd suggest the time-honored tradition of re-installing the program, in this case, TI. I guess before doing that you could do a chkdsk /r on everything and run a memory diagnostic.

TI does have the bad-habit of skipping to the succesful completion message when things go wrong in certain ways.

4. Blitzkreig75

I have run chkdisk, defragmented, re-installed TI 9, and even downloaded TI 10 trial. Nothing is working.

I last did this about two months ago.

I'm suspecting there's something preventing the cloning process, like a Windows update (?) to block unlawful duplication.

Spyware and virus scans have both turned up nothing.

I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem, I'm out of ideas.

5. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

My money is on a Windows update not playing nice with TI. Can you Restore Windows to a date when you know the Cloning worked?
    FWIW, the only Windows updates I have is whatever is in SP2 and I have all future updates turned off. My system runs as slick as the proverbial "day one".

6. Blitzkreig75

I'm so frustrated right now that I'm going to try the restore thing.

I'll let yall know how that goes.

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

But I do all the updates and have no problems either at least for imaging.

8. Blitzkreig75

I'm trying to 'clone'. I'm not sertain if that's exactly the same as the 'imaging' you're refering to.

Oh, and the only Restore Point I had left, (I periodicly delete them), was before the last Windows update. No change.

It's inexcuseably unfortunate here. I had such good things to say about Acronis until now. I feel betrayed. I'll be migrating to another program......

9. Blitzkreig75

The laast time I cloned was in early November. Unable to restore that far back.

10. Blitzkreig75

No one can help me?

Pleaseo_O

11. Ralphie

Well the only alternative I know is via the Rescue disk ... but you said you don't want to use that. At least try that as it may help to narrow down the cause of the problem.

12. Blitzkreig75

I will.

Seems the only option left.

I'll post how that goes.

13. bpbp00

bpbp00 Registered Member

I had the same problem with my cloning. Worked great for a few months and then BANG!! GONE!!. Same exact problem as you had. I spent a week exchanging messages, logs, dumps etc. with Acronis support and NOTHING!!. The rescue CD worked fine so I used that for awhile. I then upgraded to 10.0 and it worked fine. I recently switched to an automatic "backup" everytime I shut down my computer. That worked great for 2 months. Now when I shut down my computer, it SHUTS DOWN!! No backup, no message.... Then I tried a differential backup to the automatic scheduled backup file and that didn't work. Since I run a business off my computer and spend 8-10- hours a day at it, I don't have the time to play with this stupid software, so I'll just manually run the backup before i go to bed every night. ACRONIS SUCKS!!! They need PHONE support !!!!

14. Johnny Stecchino

Johnny Stecchino Registered Member

I posted the same problem at the beginning of January "Acronis works sometimes...". I never really got a great answer back, but here is what i know:

unintalling/re-installing won't fix a damn thing, so don't waste your time.

going up a version doesn't help either.

when cloning from xp, acronis reboots using your hard drive. my guess is that it's a windows xp or anti-spyware/anti-virus collision with acronis - acronis just doesn't start up right.

when you use the rescue cd, it boots all of the software it needs, it does not rely on your hard drive, so it always works.

what can you do about this? nothing except keep pounding on acronis for a fix. and use the rescue cd in the mean time.

Ciao,
    Johnny.

15. Blitzkreig75

Wow. I'm glad to see that other users have had the exact same problem. I'm going to do the restore thing now. Sheesh, this is rediculous.

no 'real person' contact either, huh?

This might be against the ethics for this site, but can someone recommend an alternative to TI? Something that clones EVERY time?

16. Blitzkreig75

Okay, now I'm really irritated.

I try to make a rescue disk, and NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!!! All it's telling me, when I select CDRW as the disk drive, is "Error creating rescue disk". Nothing in the log, no explination, NOTHING!!!

I tried using a floppy disk, and the error is a little more explitive, saying that ther's no disk in the drive, but there is. "Please inserrt a formatted....yada..yada..." It's in the drive, I JUST formatted one, but TI is just malfunctioning.

Nothing in event log either in Windows OR Acronis. ><

Why has this issue not been addressed??

Why? Why? Whyo_O?

How can a great program just crap out.

:thumbd: :cautious: *puppy* o_O :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  17. Blitzkreig75

The error it's getting on the floppy creation is :

Error: File kernel.dat not found

This is on the CREATION of the disk. Absolutely no explination on why it can't make the CD disk. Just says "Error creating rescue disk"

18. Ralphie

In the few Rescue CDs I've made going up through the various versions, it has never asked for a formatted cd. I'm wondering if you are choosing the correct menu item from the installed TI software. If you are, try this workaround. When you insert the blank media in the tray, leave the tray open, start the process to make the Rescue CD and let the software close the tray.

19. Blitzkreig75

It was asking for a formatted floppy disk >.<

I've gotten it to work. I did a repair installation of Acronis. This, (why I do not know), fixed the rescue disk creation problems.

I booted into Acronis from the CD and cloning went as it was supposed to. I'm running on the backed up HDD right now.

This only curcumvents the real problem. Why can I not clone from Windows with this previously reliable program??

To all those who have offered their help, thanks.

To the Acronis development team: FIX THIS DAMN PROBLEM!!!!!!!

20. Ralphie

Since the repair installation solved the CD creation problem it might also have fixed your original problem.

BTW, do you carry out hard drive cleaning procedures - it's a must nowadays?

21. Blitzkreig75

Unfortunately, the repairing of TI did not fix the cloning from Windows. I tried that first.

Yes, I do regularly run /chkdisk and defragment. I run CCleaner, (a registry cleaner), and AV/anti-spyware every day. I 'check for errors' about once a week. My rig is in the best possible shape it can be. I regularly run stability benchmarks and stress tests to get any possible 'early warning' of potential problems. This might seem a little extreme, but I build and repair PCs, so i'm constantly downloading drivers, software, and updates for various computers everyday. This is my primary unit that I'm running Acronis on.

I posted in the 'Wish List' forum a link to this thread. Apparently, I'm NOT the lone user having this problem. The others who have popsted in this thread have had this problem recently, as I have.

22. JIMARNOLD

JIMARNOLD Registered Member

I'm having problems with the clone function as well.

I loaded V10 on my old comuter and clone wrkd fine with two IDE drives, but does not work on my new computr using two SATA drives. It rebootsand seem to go through everything but writing onto the destination drive. I've formatted the drive, it is new, and have writtenand deletd data from the new drive. I think it has something to do with SATA drives. Mine ar listed as Secondary Master and Secondary Master.

I hope someone figures this out. I used V8 for a long time wiht no prblems.

p.s. I hate wireless keyboards. (at least cheap ones)

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Blitzkreig75,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that most likely installation of Windows updates or other programs made some changes in Windows registry that prevent Acronis True Image from functioning properly. Therefore, I would recommend that you completely uninstall Acronis True Image 9.0 Home using the procedure described here and then install the latest build 3854 once again.

Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and make a screen shot of the Device Tree
    application right after the installation of the build 3854. Then try to perform the clone procedure under Windows.

If the issue persists, please collect Acronis Report, Windows System Information and screen shots of the Device Tree applications again. Name the second set of the files appropriately, so we could identify that they were made after the issue was reproduced.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

24. Acronis Support

Hello bpbp00,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going and expedite it if needed.

You could also consider purchasing Acronis Per Incident Support license. You will be able to contact Acronis Priority Support via telephone and dedicated email, which will be answered within 2 hours. You can learn more about Acronis Per Incident Support by following the link provided above.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

25. Acronis Support

Hello JIMARNOLD,

Could you please collect some information to help us investigate the issue thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post and make a screen shot of the Device Tree application.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.