TI 9 Scheduled Incremental Not Running

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pls60, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

I've created and successfully run, for a couple of weeks, a scheduled daily incremental run. Today I noticed it had not run for 2 days. I proceeded to "edit" the scheduled job, walking through the wizard. I changed nothing, went to the end and the job started. I'm assuming the job ran because I couldn't stay to watch it. What would prevent a backup job from running, especially a job that had been running sucessfully?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

I've had past problems where the TrueImageService task did not terminate at the end of a scheduled task. This prevents any future tasks from running.
    If it happens again, check Task Manager for that task. If it's running, end it.

3. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

:thumb: Thanks. I'll check it out.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pls60,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

If the problem persists with the latest build, please do the following:

- Download and run schedmgr.exe application;

- Issue the following commands:

service stop
    service uninstall

- Close schedmgr;

- Replace schedhlp.exe and schedul2.exe files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder with the files from this ZIP archive.

- Run schedmgr application once again;

- Issue the following commands:

service install
    service start

- Close schedmgr;

If the problem still persists then please do the following:

- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);

- Run the following command in the folder the schedmgr.exe file was saved to:

schedmgr get report > schedreport.txt

- Collect schedreport.txt;

- Run Acronis Schedule Manager program (schedmgr.exe) once more;

- Issue the following command:

set logflags support

- Schedule backup creation once again;

- Wait until the scheduled backup will fail;

- Collect the log file schedul2.log that is placed in the \Program Files\Common
    Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

Could you please also reproduce the problem and collect Acronis True Image log which can be saved from Tools -> Show Log -> Diskette icon?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

Hi Tatyana:

Thank you for the help.

I have loaded build 2337 prior to this problem moccuring. It's unclear, but I might not have rebooted after the update was installed because until this morning I've not had any additional problems. Today, I discovered, it again had not run. Apparently Acronis never started because there are no log messages.

Before I follow your instructions concerning the schedule manager application, I have a couple of questions:

What exactly is the schedmgr.exe application doing? Am I effectively testing a different scheduler than what came with the delivered application?

Please advise. I need this to work without fail or maintenance.

Thanks.

Pierre

6. Acronis Support

Hello pls60,

Please be aware that the schedmgr.exe application mentioned above is a special support tool which helps us troubleshoot the problems related to the embedded Acronis True Image scheduling service. The procedure Tatyana has described is for reinstalling the embedded Acronis True Image scheduling service which usually helps to solve this sort of problems. If that does not help then we need the schedreport.txt and schedul2.log files in order to proceed with the investigation of the issue. Please be aware that the above procedure should not affect your computer functionality (except Acronis True Image functionality of course) in any way and so it is absolutely safe.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

Fair enough. However, I'm still at a loss as to why the scheduler is so flakey. Yesterday, when I discovered the non-run of the scheduled backup, I changed the scheduled time to force a run (current time + 1 minute) and it ran. I had not rebooted or anything. Once this run finished, I again changed the scheduled time (back to 1 am) and discovered a successful run this morning. Alexey, you've stated that the reinstall of the scheduler modules is safe and "usually" fixes the problem. Why not try to trap log info into the XP application log? Better yet, what's wrong with the XP scheduler? It's never hesitated to run what's asked of it.

8. Acronis Support

Hello pls60,

In order to be independent from the embedded Windows scheduling and other services which can be disabled on some computers for the specific reasons we have decided to develop our own. However, you still can use Windows Scheduler in order to run Acronis True Image 9.0 scheduled tasks in the following way:

- Create a new task using Schedule Task wizard, but do not schedule it, i.e. choose "Do not start automatically" option on the the Start Parameters screen;

- Find the appropriate script file in the \Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Acronis\TrueImage\Scripts folder (you can see the task name inside the script file);

- Schedule this script execution on the particular point in time using Windows Scheduler;

If you want us to proceed with the investigation of the problem with Acronis True Image embedded Scheduling Service then please create schedreport.txt and schedul2.log files and then send them to us in the way described above.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

9. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback, Alexey. I will play things by ear with all of your suggestions in mind.

10. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

Ok, it's monthly backup time again, and the daily scheduled job has decided to stop working, again. I'm back on this thread to proceed with the technical support recommendations. However, I see that there's a new build (3567). Before I proceed: Does build 3567 address the scheduler problems? Once installed, will I have to rebuild all of my Acronis jobs (past upgrades left me with messages suggesting a rebuild was necessary)?

Frankly, Acronis' True Image's inability to allow for reliable scheduling is pretty sloppy. I've set up a test machine and have been able to consistently show that running a monthly job (a job with no set schedule) will somehow screw up (schedule not run) a daily scheduled job that had been running fine. My work around (and this doesn't work conistently) is to re-edit the scheduled job in question and maybe it will work the next day. Pretty bad.

11. Acronis Support

Hello pls60,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that the new (3567) build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is based on the completely new software "engine" and has most of the known problems fixed. We therefore recommend you to download and install the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall build 2337 by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that it is recommended to create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

We also recommend you to download the updated Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

In spite of the fact that you will not need to re-create your scheduled tasks after installing the update, we anyway recommend you to delete all tasks in the way described in this previous post of mine, then re-create them anew and see if the problem appears again.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then please send us the information Tatyana has requested in her post #4 (see above). We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. pls60

pls60 Registered Member

Thank you for the feedback, Alexey. Since I hadn't heard from you, I'd already installed the new version before I read your response. Not knowing any better, I did not first uninstall the old version, though it doesn't appear that this has caused a problem. Should I start over and uninstall/reinstall? The scheduler is working fine so far although I did have to make changes to the pre/post commands I'd set up.

13. Acronis Support

Hello pls60,

Actually, I asked you to uninstall build 2337 just to be on the safe side :) As the program works fine at the moment, there is no need to re-install it. However, if the problem appears again then please provide us with the information requested by Tatyana.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. ee1

ee1 Registered Member

Several versions ago, I gave up on the TI scheduler, as it would just stop working on my system, and I would go for days without a backup, since I don’t always manually check that my backups ran. I found this post which shows how to use the XP scheduler to run the TI backups:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=106937

I am using it with build 2337 and have not had a problem with backups running since I made the change to using the XP scheduler. I have seen at least one post that stated problems using this method with the latest build (3567)

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.