TI 9 Question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MPSAN, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edbro

edbro Registered Member

Nope!

2. sandokan

sandokan Registered Member

There are quite a few addendums to an already superb app.

3. arf1410

arf1410 Registered Member

As I just bought TI 8.0 yesterday for $24.99, I assume I can get 9.0 for free as it is within the 30 day window as discussed in an early reply to this post?

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Isn't this similar to incremental backups ?

System restore can be disabled by going to Control Panel->System->System Restore->Turn off System Restore.

Where are all the requested features from the Wishlist thread ?

5. edbro

edbro Registered Member

Where is the native DVD support they said they were working on?

6. Vasquez

Vasquez Guest

Nope join the club, as you say, they don't appear to be listening to their user base.

DVD support was a big (and logical) one that people were asking for, yet it's not there.

Also, who in the hell wants to try and work why a restore takes place!?!?

The features added are largely pointless and seem to indicate Acronis do not know where to take TI next. It reminds me of all the pointless features that Norton have added\removed from NAV over the years.

Can anyone confirm that the VERY SIMPLE and OFTEN ASKED FOR (over the last few years) feature of automatically confirming images after a backup has made it into TI9? (if it hasn't, I will not be a happy bunny!).

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Well, I guess that if nothing else it means that TI8 updates will stop.

At any rate, I called Acronis and got VM. So, if support is listening, how do we get the free ATI9 if we bought ATI 8 during the past few weeks?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  8. mathieulongtin

mathieulongtin Registered Member

Call me dumb, but I bought TI8 on Acronis's web site for the full 50$ on August 19. Now Sept 20th, I would need to pony up another 30$ to get TI9?

Ouch. Had I known, I would have waited, since I actually want the individual file backups as well, I even bought a separate product to do that. Guess I'll keep using two backup services...

9. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I'm disappointed as well. Well this one in a series of disappointments since TI 6. I won't go into them but I'm sure that most people have similar gripes.

Product Management should be spending more time listening to the customers and doing a much better job with prioritization. My guess based on what we're seeing is that they tried to blend the Home/Business product more than they should.

Well Ghost 10 will be out EOM. It has some interesting and innovative features relative to TI 9.0. Don't like the latest Acronis product, vote with your wallet.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  10. Narny

Narny Guest

It's quite understandable that you have a cutoff date. My gripe is that 30 days is the least generous cutoff limit I've ever come across. It's disappointing that I paid for an upgrade on July 30 and now have to pay again on Sept 20 to keep current. Again, it's not that I'm only {n} days outside the cutoff - such is life - it's the very short allowance at your end that grates.

I've been using TI since v6 (Jan '03), but never noticed your 30-day policy until I fell foul of it this time. It's well hidden on your site, if it's there at all. Can you give a URL that shows the 30-day policy? Things like this ought to be prominent at time of purchase.

At the moment I don't feel at all inclined to pay again, and it only harms your prospects of my remaining loyal to Acronis. I was seriously considering a purchase of Disk Director, but this experience has made that rather unlikely.

--
    Chris Randle

11. TI 9 Experience

Just installed Ti 9. I made a file backup and tried to mount it. Cursor just spins and spins. Uninstalled and reinstalled ver 8. Might want to wait on the upgrade, I should have know better.
    -Therron

12. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

I can't see anything in 9 that would make me want to change from 8, all I ever wanted was a simple backup system that worked.... 8 for me does that!

The other stuff can be found elsewhere, why bloat a good product to the point of creating more things to break! is this Symantec :blink:

13. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

I bought TI8 recently, within the 30 day limit and just downloaded TI9
    free of charge. Got the e-mail from Acronis stating it was available to me for
    free, so the limit does work.

Havent applied it yet! Want to see what problems (if any) are present
    and maybe wait for fixes before installing TI9.

savagcl

14. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

...but for those who just bought it, it is worth getting 9 free as then we will keep getting updates. Won't the TI8 updates stop, so even if we just use ti9 the way we used ti8 we are ahead.

15. savagcl

savagcl Registered Member

Have to agree about the file/folder backup routines. There are so many other
    ways to do this.
    Kinda makes me feel like its a "Hey, buy me because i can also", sales hook more
    than anything else.
    Time would have been better spent implementing some things from the user
    request thread.

Acronis, dont waste time adding bells and whistles, stick to improving what you
    do best. As long as you have a good solid product, your user base will be there.
    Start adding in a lot of "stuff" and they'll start looking elsewhere. I firmly
    believe its better to have 1 program (1 function) that is dependable than have
    lots of programs that "maybe" work and "maybe" serves a function.

my opinion,
    savagcl

16. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Yeah, next they will have an AcronisWorks 2006! :D

17. mdburkey

mdburkey Registered Member

I'm sad to say that the list of new features in TI9 is somewhat underwhelming.

The file level backup option is a nice addition for use on my primary machine (which, with a 1Tb Raid 5, is too large to image) -- assuming it works as well or better than my current backup solution. But it's not worth enough to make me pony up the cash for the upgrade.

My primary uses of TI are on my development machine and my test platform to roll-out and archive test images I use in SW development. Which is to say, generally with small images that I need to permanently archive -- and that are small enough to fit on DVD.... Hello.... is anyone listening?? DVD. DVD. DVD. C'mon guys it's NOT that tough to do....

On the TI Boot CD side of the world the ability to do this under Linux couldn't take more than a few DAYS of effort (if that) with open source material that is readily available.

There are two other features that I want to know if TI9 incorporates:

1) In TI8 you changed things to where the hiberfil and pagefile are not included. Is there at least a user option in TI9 to NOT do thiso_O?

In essence, can you turn this off? I notice that a bunch of options for selectively excluding files got added, so I'm hoping this did as well. For my purposes I *HAVE* to be able to archive the hiberfil for it to be useful (during software testing when I find a bug I will often hibernate the machine with the aberrant behavior still active and then create a permanent backup -- this way I can usually hot boot the machine back to the exact "problem state" for future debugging).

2) Similarly, TI8 is "smart" and only does sector by sector imaging if it can't recognize the current file system or the file system is corrupted. With the ancient DOS based version of Ghost -- blech -- they at least have an option to where I can select this behaviour when I want it. In the event of a hard drive crash or major data corruption problem, the file system may sometimes still be intact enough for TI to back up only the live sectors -- yet ignore the 1000's of other sectors that may still have useful data on them. Whenever I need to do data recovery on a drive (that may have gotten eaten by a particularly nasty crash duing SW testing) I like to backup the ENTIRE sector structure so that I can go back and make, if need be, multiple attempts at reconstructing the data. Please say that TI9 FINALLY makes sector by sector archiving a USER option? If not, why the heck not? I seriously doubt this would take more than 10 lines of code to accomplish (heck, I wouldn't object if it was even a secret command on the pre-GUI boot text screen!).

18. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, savagcl

I would advise you to get it while you can and register it, just to make sure you do not "lost it" [the right to the free upgrade] in some way.

Then you can sit back watch for any little problem and get the fixs as they come..

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

19. ianC

ianC Registered Member

Defenestration wrote:

Similar yes but not the same. To restore from incremental backups you need the full image and all the increments, to restore from a differential backup, you need the full backup and just the latest differential.

Is it better? Depends what you want. If you always only want the latest backup then it's better as you throw away your previous differential backup each time you make a new one and restore is simpler. If you want flexibility then it is no better as you have to keep all the differentials and also they will be bigger than incrementals.

I'm not convinced about upgrading yet...

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I tend to agree. To quote from an earlier Post of mine dated May 13th 2005:

For me, TI 8 Build 937 has no issues with my hardware and does everything I require. Therefore, at the moment, I doubt that I shall be purchasing the upgrade and it probably means a curtailment of my responses to User's queries (no bad thing did I hear someone say?!!).

Regards

21. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

Let me remind you that our upgrading policy is as follows:

With regards to your questions, our upgrade policy is to provide free upgrades to (a) customers who purchased the software 30 days prior to the release of a new version, and/or (b) customers who have purchased software maintenance or a site license that includes software maintenance. We realize that the 30 day cut-off appears to be arbitrary, but it is keeping with the procedures of other established software companies. If we had a 90 day cut-off, somebody who purchased the product 91 days before hand who would ask us to upgrade or that s/he would not have bought the product had they known to wait just one more day. At some point we have to draw a line and move on to working on the next version.

Please also note that we do provide free upgrades for those customers who purchased Acronis True Image 8.0 in other stores then Acronis onine store. They just need to send a letter containing the information that confirms their purchase of Acronis software (copy of invoice, scan copy of receipt, ect.) to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread.

I'm afraid that there will be no updates for the version 8.0 since the moment Acronis True Image 9.0 has been released.

If you have any specific questions on Acronis True Image 9.0 features or functionality then please start the new thread for each question or bunch of similar questions, since it is impossible to answer all of your questions in one thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

22. Narny

Narny Guest

All cutoff dates are arbitrary; 30 days also appears to be parsimonious.

I cannot think of one single example of any software I own that has 30 days. What other established software companies were you basing your example upon?

Perhaps I don't own any because I wouldn't purchase under those conditions. I'll ask again: where on your web site do you stipulate your 30 day free upgrade policy?

I didn't purchase 31 days before the release - I purchased 52 days before. As I said in my previous post, if your cutoff date was 90 days and I'd purchased at 91, then that would just be one of those things. My grievance is that 30 days is an extremely short time in comparison with other software companies. 90 days is by far the norm.

At the end of the day, this is your business decision, and one I have no choice other than to accept. However, I can't help but think that you shoot yourself in the foot. Do you think that having spent approx. $40 on July 30th that I'll feel inclined to spend another $30 just 52 days later? No. Do you think that discovering the unusually stingy 30-day limit after my purchase (nowhere to be seen at the time of purchase, or elsewhere for that matter) that I'll be buying anything else from Acronis? I'll leave that to the imagination of your arbitrary decision makers.

--
    Chris Randle

23. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Thank you Acronis. I got my Upgrade email.

24. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Narny,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm really sorry for your inconvenience.

However, I'm afraid that I can do nothing else, but inform you about our Upgrading Policy which is by the way can not be found on our web-site.

I'm also not eligible to change any rules or add any information to the Acronis web-site. However, if you want us to pass any of your suggestions or remarks to the appropriate persons then please feel free to send a letter describing your issue to support@acronis.com.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

25. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire Registered Member

What is the "release date" for TI9 that Acronis is using? I just purchased my copy of TI8 on 9/16/05. This is very confusing. Acronis should post a message that anyone who purchased TI8 after XX/XX/XX is entitled to a free upgrade. Then explain exactly the steps necessary to receive it. I hope Acronis responds to this message. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.