TI 9.1 Workstation not working with Dell laptop...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 3xm, Sep 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3xm

3xm Registered Member

Hi,

I have a strange problem. I am running a DEll D830 which has a SATA drive. I created an image successfully. Now I am trying to restore it. I boot up using the rescue media and the Sata drive is only seen when choosing the safe version of True Image...the problem with that is it doesn't see the other drives such as my USB drive or dvd rom drive and I cannot restore the image...when I choose to load the full version of True Image workstation it does the exact oposite...it sees all my other drives (it sees my USB and DVD drive) but it doesn;t see my SATA drive...o_O??

(I already have SATA set as Legacy....)

2. wbierman

wbierman Registered Member

I have a similar, perhaps identical issue with my new dell laptop. I bought an Inspiron 1501 which has a Hitachi IDE drive. In device manager it appears as a "Hitachi HTS541680J9SA00" and is using c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys and c:\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys for drivers.

When I boot up Acronis TI, I can see the USB External drive from which I wish to restore my image, but I do not at any point in the process see the laptop's hard disk.

I know that Universal Restore will include necessary drivers when an image is created/installed... will it also include in the bootable media ISO I create the drivers necessary to run the restore software? Or is there some other solution?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

It soundsl like you and 3xm have the same problem. Your SATA controller is not supported in the Linux environment of the Full TI Recovery CD disk. The SAFE version uses a form of DOS and the BIOS support for the internal drives. However, SAFE doesn't have drivers for USB drives. Unless the BIOS supports USB drives, you are stuck.

Try turning off the Legacy USB support and see if TI SAFE can then see your USB drive. If not, the workaround is to create a BartPE boot disk with the TI plug-in. This provides the Windows drivers so that both the SATA and USB drives can be seen.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello 3xm and wbierman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (3887) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please also try turning off Legacy mode for the drive in BIOS.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report, Windows system information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the hard drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

P.S. Please also note that, as jmk94903 mentioned, a possible workaround is to use a BartPE-based bootable CD created using Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE and allowing one to boot the computer into a Windows-like environment loading the appropriate drivers for any hardware devices installed in the computer at startup.

Acronis True Image plug-in for BartPE comes with the Acronis True Image full/custom installation and can be found in the \Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage\BartPE folder.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.