TI 8 VERY disappointing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by milleron, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milleron

milleron Registered Member

Upgraded to TI 8 because I got it for free (purchased TI 7 recently enough to qualify for this). Boy am I sorry I did.
    I can't see that it has any new functionality, at least that's useful to me. But what's worse is that it's BROKEN for splitting files into sizes appropriate for copying them onto DVD+RWs for archiving. With TI7, I could specify that the files be split into 4,500-MB sections. With TI8, if I specify anything larger than the 700 MB already in the drop-down list, True Image starts writing 1 KB files (yes, that's right, 1,024-byte files) and continues until it's written TEN THOUSAND of them. Then it craps out.
    Unless someone knows a workaround, I'll be ditching True Image and all its "Editors Choice" awards and going back to Powerquest's V2i Protector Desktop which definitely does work. It can be a pain in the ass, but at least it can make DVD-sized files.
    Has anyone seen this awful behavior from True Image 8? Any workaround?
    Isn't it remarkable that a program like lis released in the second half of 2004, doesn't have a built-in option for splitting backups into DVD-size segments?!? Really lazy and sloppy programming.

Ron

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

At the risk of seeming impolite in suggesting another product on a TrueImage forum, may I suggest you check out Drive Snapshot? It offers similar imaging capabilities but can create image files in up to 4GB segments. The trial version has time-limited backup and unlimited restore functionality and may provide a better option than Protector Desktop if your problem remains unresolved.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, milleron

I do not have Ti8 to test but there have been post about this Ron, will not make the big Images as before but better then Thousands of 1kb ones.

Have a read of this link:- #8

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. Tatou

Tatou Registered Member

Re TI8

I found the same problem with getting thousands of file when making TIBs
    I was following instruction posted by some guy on how to back up using TI7 and Nero.
    I had followed him and entered just 2000 at the split box and it defaulted to those very small files. I tried 2GB but it didn't work so instead of 2 GB I entered 2000MB and that seemed to do the trick if I remember properly.

Tatou

5. milleron

milleron Registered Member

Thanks very much for the information.
    I had no problems making 4.5 GB file splits in TI 7. It looks as though Acronis is slipping backward with this product -- i.e., it doesn't do anything that TI 7 couldn't do (that I can see), but it actually lacks functionality that TI 7 did have.
    I propose that Acronis rename this product True Image 6.5 since their programmers are making it worse instead of better. The fact that in 2004 it fails to make DVD-size file splits on NTFS partitions is bad enough but that it goes ahead without any notification to the user and writes 10,000 1-KB files is inexcusable and utterly deplorably bad programming. The company should hang their collective head in shame over this one. I'm just aghast at how stupid this bug is.
    Ron

6. Meugen

Meugen Guest

It's such a joke that a company like Acronis claim they take pride in their software, but yet they release unfinished projects like True Image 8.

There are similar programs, 1 megabyte in size which can backup to a DVD directly, yet this monster at 23 Mb called True Image 8 cannot even split up images the proper size so you can burn it on a DVD using third party software? I just don't get it, I really don't.

7. arrowhead

arrowhead Registered Member

I'm so glad I didn't pay for this software. Works good until you need to restore. (No it's not a trial version) Tried from boot-disk and by pressing F11 as computer boots up. It doesn't see my RAID 0 drives. Asus A7N8X with Silicon Image SIL 3112A controller. I have a perfect back up image that can't be restored. I think it's like have cigarettes but no lighter.

Version 8 build 764

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.