TI 8 stopped writing to network disk..why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by miguchi, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miguchi

miguchi Registered Member

True Image 8 had been working like a champ backing up to a locally networked disk. Then one day it just came back with write errors, Code 4, among them. I tried upgrading to the trial V10 but similar write errors.

I tried writing other files to the networked disk with no problems. I have also tried a complete uninstall per one of the prior posts and a clean install but same problem.

I can backup to an external disk connected to the system being backed up but no longer across my local network to another disk.

Nothing major has changed that I can recall other than regular norton system works and anti-virus update.

thanks in advance

mi

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Usually an irpstacksize parameter reports things like "out of memory" but sometimes reports write errors. You could have a look in the XP Event Viewer System log or other logs for more info as well. Have a look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177078

Putting in the value or a larger one won't cause any trouble. I had to put mine up to 21 or 24 but finally put it at 30 for good measure. I did it on all my machines on my network.

This is a general Windows issue and is not the fault of any particular application.

Hopefully, may solve your problem.

3. miguchi

thanks very much but didn't seem to help.

More detail on the error this time around:

E00070004 Failed to write data to archive file...a possible reason might be poor media quality

and

The semaphore timeout period has expired...code 80070079

4. seekforever

I did a forum search on semaphore and found several posts which indicated that there is a problem that Acronis needs to get involved with to fix. That is a bit strange considering your system used to work until recently.

Can you use TI across your network with the bootable CD? This would take any Windows and applications updates out of the system.

Can you roll your system back using an older image when the system used to work?

Did you change anything on the machine that hosts the networked drives?

5. miguchi

thanks for your continued help.

I have not rolled back though I may since I have GoBack running. The only things that I can recall installing are video editing software MyDVD, ULEAD...

I'm not sure what you mean by bootable CD across the network. For one thing I didn't create one.

Thanks/

6. seekforever

See this item from the FAQ concerning GoBack:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq/norton-goback/

From my reading of the above, it shouldn't interfere with creating an archive.

I wasn't referring to rolling back via GoBack or System Restore but by restoring a previous image made by TI.

Have you restored an image such that you know the process works on your PC?

You should create the bootable TI CD and check that you can see and validate your archives with it. This is what you have to use should your HD fail and you need to restore to a new HD. You should see an item on the main screen or under a menu item called something like: Create bootable rescue media.

This CD uses a Linux envirnoment (invisible to the user) and Windows is not running so it takes any software out of the process.

Even though you can copy other files to your networked drive I would run chkdsk X: /r on it from the machine it is on just to make sure all is well. Substitute X with the drive letter of the partition being tested.

7. miguchi

Thanks
    GoBack worked in the past with TI so it shouldn't be a problem now.

I had successfully read and pulled files off of a past tib backup successfully yesterday.

I ran Chkdsk 4 times on the backup server as well as the system last night as well but did not make a difference.

When I start TI V10 I see the file being created on the system where the backup disk resides. It shows 0 in size. I've tried different compression rates but no luck. I am able to write a backup to a local external disk but again would like to get to the backup server.

The server disk is shared on the network.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  8. miguchi

I tried backing up a smaller directory across my network and it actually created a 82MB file before it crapped out on another semaphore error.

Filed to backup file or folder (xxxx an AVI file)
    Error writing the file. (0x40003)
    function = "WriteFileNo Cache"
    Tag = 0x7CEB2CDC9FB1212D
    The semaphore timeout period has expired (0xFFF0)
    code = 80070079
    Tag = 0xBD28FDBD64EDB8A6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.