TI 8 says bad sectors - XP Check disk option says no bad sectors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by snoke, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snoke

snoke Registered Member

Like others in this forum when I start a full backup of a 120Gb drive (TI 8.0 build 889) I receive the error:

E0000101F4: Failed to read data from the disk

Failed to read from the sector ....

The kicker here is that when I follow advice on this forum and run the check disk option under XP (a several hour exercise) I find no bad sectors! Has anyone else had this experience?

Is it possible that bad sectors exist, TI finds them, but the XP check disk utility has missed them. I find this hard to believe.

I agree with a previous post that one should have the option to automatically ignore all errors. You can't schedule a back-up in the middle of the night if it requires interaction to click the "ignore all" button.

2. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I have a problem with both Partition Magic and TI which report an error (not same error message).
    I have NTFS with Windows 2000.
    Chkdsk /r does not find any problems.
    Spinrite 6 does not find any problems.
    Microsoft acknowledges that chkdsk may not report all errors in some obscure situations.
    I have a file which I can not delete (and yes I do know about permissions, etc) - NTFS seems to think the file is encrypted (but it never has been and can not be decrypted!). I just can't do anything with the file.
    The only solution seems to be to create a new partition, reinstall all programs and copy all data (minus the one file).
    So chkdsk is not infallible.
    Regarding your specific error message maybe the particular sector is really suspect - a program such as Spinrite would be needed to fix it.
    Or you could create a new partition and reinstall everything, then format the old partition and see if the sector is fixed.

Also see this: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=75552&highlight=E0000101F4

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello snoke,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all please update your copy of Acronis True Image 8.0 to the 903 build. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

If the problem remains please create Acronis Report (please see Acronis post for the detailed instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.