TI 2009 Home Slow Backup to Ext USB Hdd

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by billyeins, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billyeins

billyeins Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem I am having. Just backed up my C Drive (45 GB) to my external USB Hard Drive, took over 12 hours to cdomplete the backup. Can backup to a partition on my Primary Hdd is less than an hour. Just wondering why the backup takes so long.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Are you backing up in Windows or by booting the TI rescue CD?

Do both your PC and USB drive support USB2?

How long does it take Windows explorer to copy your backup tib file(s) from the internal HD to the USB drive?

What version and build of TI are you using?

3. Batfink

Batfink Registered Member

I have same issue.. Ive just tried to backup a 5gb windows partition, and it was going to take well over an hour.. the same process on an internal sata drive took less than 3 minutes.

If I transfer the same size within windows, it taks about 15 minutes...

Ive experienced this on several pcs..

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

ATI has a problem addressing USB drives in some situations and behaves as if it's using USB1 connections. It's not your USB drive or your PC -- it's a long standing ATI problem that doesn't happen to everyone. The only recourse is to contact Tech support, provide them the info they request and see if they have any patches for your hardware setup.

5. billyeins

billyeins Registered Member

Shieber Thanks for your reply May be buying a new external Hdd in the future, will see if I have problems then. Am backing up using windows and the computer has USB2 ports. Tried backing up the Tib file in explorer but it did said it was going to take 8 hours to copy the file, canceled the operation. Backups from the Primary Hdd to one of its Partitions are fairly quick, sometimes less than an hour for around 50 GB. Again, thanks for your reply.

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

When using an external drive, your best chances of success is if you connect the external directly to a port off the motherboard--usually in rear of computer case. Some user have found better successes if the external is the only usb connected. User shortest cable possible.

7. Xygen

Xygen Registered Member

Same problem here using a eSATA-HDD. Up to 70% the backup of about 170GB went fairly quick but not at maximum eSATA speed. (20 MB/s instead of 80 MB/s max). CPU is at about 30% all the time. Source HDD wasn't very busy while backing up.
    I'm running Build 9646 on Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello billyeins,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Contact Acronis support and submit technical request using this link or contact us via Live Chat and ask for the latest SnapAPI drivers for your version. If the issue persists under Acronis bootable disc ask for the latest ISO image of Acronis bootable disc.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.