TI 11 rescue cd wont finish load on laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wmgoat, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wmgoat

wmgoat Registered Member

just purchased ti 11 as a download version from the Acronis website, put it on a new toshiba laptop running vista home prem. install went smoothly, images created fine and I saved them to a usb external drive.

Made a restore cd, and it wont finish loading the full ti version so I can test a restore.

When I boot off the rescue cd, The loader runs fine, then I get a screen where I get the choice to pick windows, TI, or the shredder. I pick ti, and the cd spins up again, the screen goes black and the system goes no further.

I tried the cd on another tower pc, works fine. Loads completely. As soon as I pick ti, I get a ti splash screen and shortly afterwards get the regular ti screen to restore.

So I made another cd, same problem on the laptop.

I can boot a TI 9 rescue cd on the laptop, but the Acronis kb says that a ti9 boot cd wont always restore ti 11 backup images reliably so thats not an option. So I have to rectify this.

Any ideas as to what the issue could be? I want to resolve this and test it before I find that one day I have a dead hd.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wmgoat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you are not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears.
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5-10 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screen. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. wmgoat

wmgoat Registered Member

Doing what was posted in the "before you post" (which I missed) fixed the issue, the acpi=off no apic line after the choice screen did it.

Thank you Mr Wizard!

2 questions:
    1. What does that do? It obviously turns something off within the Linux kernel during the invocation of the full version choice, but what?

2. when creating a rescue cd, can I enter the acpi line in the boot options to automate this line entry, so that it takes on this environment change? If so, is there any issue with then using this cd on all my systems to restore images? (Im presuming that ti 11 rescue cd will work with images created with ti 9 as well)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wmgoat,
    acpi=off noapic parameters switch off the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) and Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller (APIC) which may prevent Linux kernel to work correctly with some modern hardware.
    Yes, Acronis True Image 11 Home provides such capability to include additional command-line parameters which are passed to the Linux kernel upon boot from the boot disc created. This feature is available in the Acronis Bootable Media Builder Wizard (Tools -> Create Bootable Rescue Media) as Bootable media standard parameters.
    Since acpi=off noapic parameters do not alter the functionality of Acronis Bootable Rescue Media you can use the created disc on other machines also.
    Acronis guarantees one-version-back compatibility for different versions of the same product. Restoring backups created by older versions (Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and older) is also possible, but error-free data recovery is not guaranteed in this case.

Please feel free to contact us again any time should you have any further questions.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Alexey Bogomolov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.