TI 11 --- Can't clone sata hard drives

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RichardMW2, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardMW2

RichardMW2 Registered Member

I go through the clone wizard and reach the button to reboot the system.
    The following message comes up:

"Unable to update the registry"
    "Cannot reboot windows you might not have enough privileges to reboot"

I am running Vista with an admin account.

Any ideas? Does TI 2009 work in this scenario?

I tried creating a bootable CD with Acronis 11.
    But, when I boot, it doesn't see any of my Sata drives.
    This is a bigger problem than the clone problem.
    Does Acronis 2009 solve this one?

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

2009 might work ... you can test before you buy by downloading the Trial version.

3. RichardMW2

OK. I added the "save devices" plug-in and created a new Acronis boot CD.

1/2 solution.

The safe devices boot can see my sata drives. Great. But it can't see my network. Since I backup to a network drive that means I can't do a complete restore.

This is crazy. I saw the same problems reported in a review of Acronis 2009 on newegg.com. Is this really true?

Why can't Acronis get this right and produce a bootable CD that can see both sata drives and network drives?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

DwnNdrty gave you the answer. Try TI 2009 Trial. Newer hardware requires newer drivers. TI 11 is too old to support your SATA drive, but TI 2009 may have just what you need.

This is just one problem, you can't clone or restore from the Linux recovery environment if there are not good drivers.

Make an image before installing TI 2009 Trial, so that you can restore that to get back to TI 11. Make the TI 2009 Rescue CD and test whether it can see all your drives. If it can, you can just use it to clone and restore for free, or you can pay to upgrade.

5. RichardMW2

Have you personally checked that the TI 2009 boot cds will see sata drives with no problems?

I did try TI 2009 trial.
    1. the recovery CD from TI 2009 did not see the SATA drives.
    2. That meant that I could not have restored the backup made before installing TI 2009.
    3. I uninstalled TI 2009 trial. I spent the next 3 days recovering from Vista blue screens. Doing a standard install / remove of TI 2009 completely trashed my Vista installation.

Since then, I have seen posting stating that using the Acronis clean-up tools resulted in a much better setup of Acronis and a better performing boot rescue disk. Maybe.

My system is stable again.
    If it stays ok for a few days after running Acronis cleanup, I will reinstall TI 11 (latest build) and then do a backup.

I still see some mixed reports as to whether the boot rescue disks for TI 11 and TI 2009 actually work and see both network drives and local sata drives.

6. como

como Registered Member

Try making a VistaPE disk, you will be able to add drivers for your disks when you build it, search on this forum for VistaPE and you will find several threads regarding building such a disk. Mustang provides a guide and plug ins for both VistaPE and BartPE disks.

My TI rescue disk cannot see any of my internal drives but my VistaPE does and creates images and restores them with no problem, I will admit that I have not tried the clone feature but have every confidence it would work

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It strictly depends on your hardware makes, model, whatever and how well the TI rescue disk's Linux drivers support them. On the versions, I've tried, I have had no problems with either SATA drives or network access with the TI CD. I have accessed a network drive but since it isn't my preferred backup location, I don't really bother with it. I have been using SATA drives with TI since version 9.

Como's suggestion of a VistaPE or BartPE CD is certainly one way of solving the problem since it uses the Windows drivers and you can also add any required special ones if necessary.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image

RichardMW2, you can contact our Live chat service concerning the trial version of Acronis True Image Home 2009, we will provide you with an ISO file to create another Acronis Booting rescue media. Live chat service is available here

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

9. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

A few days ago I was at a friend's house ... he uses a 2009 Rescue CD with his HP laptop 64-bit Vista system which has a sata drive. One thing he said though is that he built the cd with the "acpi=off noapic" feature in it. Maybe this is what you need to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.