TI 11 (build*8,053)- secure zone not accessable

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeffpitoniak, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffpitoniak

jeffpitoniak Registered Member

i backup to the SZ daily and to an external HD weekly. the other day, it came up with an error that secure zone is not accessible. it shows on the list when i go to do a backup or restore but it gives me the error that it is not accessible. i have not done anything to the disk to corrupt it. i have tried booting from the recovery disk and from F11 but they say secure zone does not exist. From the home screen - manage secure zone, it asks me where to create secure zone even though it shows it there. (there is only 1 hard drive in this computer) shows drives: c:22.08gb, D:4.41..., and 29.39gb FAT 32 (secure zone). Please help.

thank you, jeff

2. jeffpitoniak

i am using Windows XP. when i go to XP's computer management screen, it shows the secure zone as well as the other 2 partitions.

volume- acronis sz
    layout-partition
    type -basic
    file system - fat 32
    status -healthy (unknown partition)
    capacity 29.39gb
    free sapace 15.42 gb
    52% free
    no for fault tolerance
    0%overhead.

thank you

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Try booting with the bootable True Image Rescue CD and see if you can manipulate the SZ from the Manage feature on the CD.

4. jeffpitoniak

nope, still says not accessible

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Hmm ... you have a strange one there ... you need to find a way to nuke the SZ and re-do it. I don't use the SZ at all so have no solution for you. Maybe Disk Management will do it?

6. jeffpitoniak

when attempting to backup the secure zone, a warning comes up "some partitions contain errors and can be imaged only sector by sector. it is recommended that you exit ti and check the partitions with your systems disk checking tools.

i did chkdsk acronis sz /f and /r to no avail.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Do you not have backup files saved to any disk besides the one with the SZ? If so, why not restore one of those, reaching back until you have the disk restored to when the problem wasn't there?

If you aren't keeping backups anywhere else, then a prob like this is bound to happen sooner or later -- even if it's not hte SZ that becomes a prob, something will make the disk go south and make the backups unavailable.

8. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is not possible to run CHKDSK on the secure zone.
    If you need to check that part of the hard drive you must remove the zone and its contents using the manage secure zone wizard. Then allocate the freed up space to an existing partition. CHKDSK can than be run sucessfully and errors will be corrected.
    Now make a new secure zone and start using it for backup images.

I may have misunderstood some of your question but can confirm that it is not possible to make a backup image of a secure zone. Separate backups to a different drive are one solution.

Xpilot

9. como

como Registered Member

As shieber states your only option is to restore a backup from your external drive, as you can see from the attached image, Trueimage lists the Secure Zone and Backup Locations as being available even though as in my case I have never created them.
    The Secure Zone was a good idea when most people only had one hard drive, but if that one drive goes belly up then the Secure Zone goes with it. When you get your system back I would advise backing up to your external drive or preferably get a new drive and put that in your computer as a slave and use that for your main backups and copy some files to the external as a precaution, you will find that it is far quicker to backup to a internal drive.

Attached Files:

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jeffpitoniak,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.