TI 10 vs TI 9 ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by selkov, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. selkov

selkov Registered Member

Well I just got TI 9 not long ago.
    Got all the bugs out (I think), at least I understand it.
    Now TI 10 is available...DUH!
    Has anyone experience with both?
    Is there a good reason to pay more & update?
    Or should I stay with 9?

2. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Registered Member

I tested the trial version of TI10 and it seems pretty good.

But my needs are simple. Just Image Backup/Restore and create a Rescue CD.

I can buy the full TI9 package, (with box & CD) for much less than TI10.

Is there any compelling reason not to go with 9?

ALSO, I see TI available on Amazon, but don't see Amazon listed on Acronis' web site. Is Amazon not a legitimate vendor for Acronis?

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

No, I think 9 will be fine from a functional point of view.

However, you need to establish whether the latest build of v9 is compatible with your hardware, and in particular whether you can access your disks from the Linux rescue disk.

F.

4. QuiGonJohn

Can you still get a Trial Version of 9?

5. foghorne

Unlikely, I think they would love you to buy V10.

Your only hope is if some kind soul has a copy of a 3677 Trial exe which they can share with you.

F.

6. QuiGonJohn

If anyone does, please PM or post a link. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

7. foghorne

8. QuiGonJohn

Thanks, will try it.

Does TI9 have BartPE capability or only TI10?

9. foghorne

Yes 9 is Bartable.

F.

10. QuiGonJohn

Thanks to all who have helped me on this site. I am going to order my Acronis TI 9 off Amazon's web site today.

Here is what I did:

I have 4 computers. I installed the Trial Version of ATI9 on one. Made a Full Image Backup. Also made a Rescue Recovery CD. Then I booted each of the 4 computers with the Rescue CD and made sure the program would load and that I could see and access my Ext USB HDD in both Backup & Restore. That worked on all 4 computers.

Then my newest computer, is a X-Mas gift, laptop. So on that one, I also installed the Trial Version of ATI9, then did a Full Image Backup. This was made after I had spent several hours tweaking the laptop from it's original shipping configuration. Took off a lot of superflous programs, added the programs my wife uses, Office, Street Atlas, Family Tree Maker, Quicken, etc.

Next I used the built-in recovery on that laptop to restore it to the originally shipped configuration. That worked. I then made a set of recovery CD's using the built-in program, something I hadn't done the first time around.

Then I booted to the ATI9 Rescue CD and restored the Full Image I created earlier. That only took about 20 min's and everything works fine. The laptop is back to where it was before I put it to factory settings. This makes me feel very good about ATI9. I probably will not do a test reload on my other systems. I mean, the ATI loads, sees the Ext USB HDD. If I need to restore, it should work fine.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  11. QuiGonJohn

ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS

Would it be best to completely uninstall the Trial Version of ATI 9 before I load the Full Version?

Also, I will need to make a new Acronis True Image Rescue CD when I have installed the Full Version, correct?

Is there any difference between True Image Backup 9.0 and True Image 9.0 Home?

The order I entered on Amazon says True Image Backup 9.0. But all the info seemes to indicate the same as TI9-Home. ALso the text in the full description of it mentions True Image 9.0 Home in one place.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2006
  12. QuiGonJohn

Thought of another question.

When I get my package, does it have some kind of serial number or registration ID that I use to create an account at the Acronis Web Site, so I can download the latest build of TI9?

I hope to download that first and just install that clean vs. installing the box version, then upgrading.

13. como

como Registered Member

Questions as listed above

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Not as far as I know

Be aware that if you intend to use TI on all your computers you will need a licence for each one

When you get the box the serial number should be on or in it, you will need to register at the Acronis website in order to download any updates.

14. QuiGonJohn

Got my Acronis 9.0 yesterday. The box did only say Acronis True Image 9.0, did not mention "Home". But the Serial Number was good, I registered on the website and it shows the Product Key registered as Acronis True Image Home 9.0. I was able to download the latest build and install it.

So far, so good.

Made the Rescue CD. Was able to boot with it and it sees my Ext USB HDD.

Took a bit over an hour to backup my main computer. A bit longer than the testing I had been doing with the trial version on my Gateway Laptop, but then I have a lot more files on my main computer, (56.7GB in use).

I did this first backup with the full product connected to my front USB port. I am not certain that is USB2.0. Next time I will try it connected to the rear USB port, see if it's any faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.