TI 10, Multiple OS boot loader problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by FarrisGoldstein, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarrisGoldstein

FarrisGoldstein Registered Member

Hi, I'm using True Image 10. I have a development system we need to rapidly switch between 4 different clean-state OS:

- WinXP
    - WinXP 64
    - Vista
    - Vista 64

Since we're running automated/unattended tests that reboot the machine several times, multi-booting is not ideal. What we have setup is two partitions, one with the current OS, and one with 4 .tib files, each one containing a backup of a different OS as installed on the first partition.

The problem is that the boot loader never survives the restore. If I make a backup of the entire disk to an external location, whether it's another hard drive or a network location, when I restore it the MBR and Bootloader are there and intact. However, if I restore a single active partition from one of those .tibs on the second partition of the system drive, whether I choose to also restore "MBR and Track 0" or not, the system is not bootable after recovery. I can use the Vista or XP install disk to fixmbr or bcdedit and it will boot, but this is a very painful step we would like to eliminate.

Is TI Home just not the right tool for this job? If so, then what is? Will Workstation do what I want? We want each of these systems to be self-contained and capable of rapidly re-imaging to any of those 4 operating systems.

2. FarrisGoldstein

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I wanted to add this:

It would be really helpful if we could script or automate the reimaging as well. In a perfect world, we would hit one button and our machine would go from a dirty XP install to a clean Vista install, etc.

3. MJMatthew

MJMatthew Registered Member

I am getting the same problem.

I have Windows XP on drive C:, and Vista on drive D:

It appears that TrueImage 10 is not compatible with the new Windows Vista boot manager.

Restoring images only works on the same hard disk when the original boot files are still in place.

4. FarrisGoldstein

That's not exactly the same problem I'm having, but probably the same root issue.

This is very frustrating. Even Ghost 2003 will backup/restore the MBR and Boot Manager properly. By all rights True Image blows Ghost out of the water, but this little issue is a huge deal breaker for our environment.

5. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

hope i didn't misunderstand, but the problem is Vista which always installs it's
    boot-folder on the partition it considers the 'most active'. That's one change i
    wholeheartedly hate about the new windows.
    (meaning with Xp on C: you will for sure have the vista boot-manager on the
    wrong partition(Xp))
    that's why i had to install vista and xp on different harddrives, plus even had
    to unplug the xp drive during vista install, 'caus it chose the IDE drive over the
    Sata one for the bootloader components. Separating the OSs completely
    from each other was top priority, which it was especially in regards to sucessfully
    imaging/restoring.
    As a result i'm forced to use the Bios boot-menu, inconvenient but currently the
    best solution to my demands..hopefully i can drop xp soon but i'm estimating at
    least half a year having to stay dual. (Acronis OSSelector: no thanks!)

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Wouldn't it be easier, cleaner and more reliable to install a second internal hard drive and always restore the entire boot drive from one of the four .tib images and forget about multi-booting?

I don't see any reason why TI started from a dirty XP boot drive couldn't restore a clean Vista boot drive.

Making it one button might be asking a lot, but using pre-restore batch files should make it possible to select which .tib to restore with one click after starting the restore.

7. FarrisGoldstein

I've thought about using a second drive, but this particular machine does not have room for a second.

8. eoindickson

eoindickson Registered Member

Have you found a solution to this yet ?

I've got a similar situation, I can restore the Vista image fine but it won't boot until I reboot off the Vista DVD and do a Startup Repair.
    I don't see the point of being able to reimage a partition if you can't then boot off it...

Thanks,
    Eoin

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello FarrisGoldstein and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download and install the latest build (4942) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home, which contains certain fixes including Windows Vista restoring. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please clarify if you receive any errors upon booting Windows Vista after restoration. What exact error messages? When exactly have you received them?

In addition, please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.