TI 10 Home - VERY SLOW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jazzy639, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazzy639

jazzy639 Registered Member

Hello,

Im using this for a daily incremental backup in a business.

The backup is set to low priority but the computer goes VERY slow while it does the backup.

There is no spyware or any clutter on the PC, it is 2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, XP Pro.

Any ideas?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

You may wish to provide some metrics here.

- How big is the disk or partition you are backing up
    - How long does it take

Also
    - Where are you backing it up to
    - What compression level are you using
    - Is validation included in the backup time

F.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Try setting to priority Normal. Three factors that can make a huge diff in back time are:

Drive acting as USB 1.x instead of USB 2;
    Target drive formatted as FAT instead of NTFS
    Priority set to Low

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

What program(s) are running with the backup. If you are doing something that is very disk intensive it might be a problem and IIRC I don't think TI Home is recommended for backing up on-the-fly with database applications like Oracle. There used to be something in one of the stickies at the beginning of the forum about this.

Edit: I looked at the current stickies for Home but I don't see any warnings about backing up active databases so maybe it isn't an issue anymore.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  5. seans11

seans11 Registered Member

You could backup an Oracle/SQL Server database with imaging software, but the database would need to be in a 'closed' state. In other words you would be doing a cold backup for all intensive purposes. Even if you did try to backup the database while it was running, the DB files would be junk if you ever tried to restore them. Best to use Oracle's hot database backup capability through RMAN or scripting or backup software plugin. But if you want to use TI you will need to shutdown the database first. Just schedule a DB shutdown before your full image kicks off. I'm a DBA and I wouldn't mind going that route. If you do run a backup while the DB is up, make sure you exclude all your database files (*.DBF, *.CTL). It will pickup your archive log files (*.ARC or *.LOG) just fine if you're using the archive log feature.

6. jazzy639

Thanks for the replies.

Its backing up an office computer. Nothing running really apart from Norton IS. No databases. Nothing disk intensive is going on.

The USB hard drive is on USB2.0. No compression and verification is on.

I had the impression that I could use the PC during the backups hence the low priority.

Also its taking up to 15 mins for a daily incremental while it only says 3mins remaining.

Somethings not right!

7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Does Norton IS include any form of Go Back or some other recovery program that is running in the background.
    If so this would definitely be a source of conflict.
    If you have an alternative to Norton IS you might find your system runs a lot better anyway [​IMG].

Normal compression and normal priority usually gives the best overall performance in my experience.

Xpilot

8. jazzy639

It doesnt have Go Back or anything like that.

Id like to still use the computer while the backup is taken hence the low priority.

Yesterday at about 8pm I needed to take another incremental (sceduled at 4pm). For 15mins it said 3mins remaining. I had to cancel it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what caused this?

9. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

My experience is that you can't really use the computer for anything during a backup. In theory you can, but waiting between letters typed for several seconds isn't really using the computer.

Up the priority and get the backup overwith while you get a cup of coffee, make a phone call or go to the bathroom. That's a more efficient way of multitasking.

Some day when we all have 30GHz 16-core processors and super SATA 3,000Mbps hard drives with 800MB cache we may be able to do disk intensive activities along with something else, but that's in the future.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jazzy639,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;
    - Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Windows System Information and Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I use my computer lots of times while a backup is running -- it's slower but not godawful slow. It matters a lot if the source or target is the same as the drive you are using and what you are doing requires a lot of disk access -- so if you are using a lot of virtual memory (page file) then that can mean a lot of disk swaps.

It also matters what kind and speed memory you have, disk speed, amount of memory, and all the rest of the performance features of a PC system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.