TI 10 Home and Vista Ultimate 64bit

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kaledi, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaledi

kaledi Registered Member

Hi there,
    I'm new to this forum, but have done a search and couldn't find an answer, so I'm hoping someone can help.

I have Vista 64bit installed and my previous recovery software was Ghost or Save & Restore. Tired of waiting for Vista support and seeing the excellent reviews for True Image 10.0, I thought I would give it a go so I've downloaded the trial version from the web site (latest build). Installation completes successfully and the software runs fine.

However, I get random BSOD during backup tasks. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happenned at least 50% of the time and occurs during the backup process. The BSOD refers to a driver problem or software problem of some kind?
    Vista is stable when not using TI and I have not encountered such a system crash using any other software.
    I'm desperate for a working backup solution in Vista and have want to buy TI, but not if it doesn't work on my system. Does anyone have any ideas?
    For reference, I've 4 HDD connected to nForce 590SLI mobo, with 2GB or RAM and an Athlon X2 processor

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kaledi,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please perform the actions described in this previous post to enable Windows mini-dumps. Then please reproduce the issue and collect mini-dump file.

Please also make a shot of error screen with a digital camera, or write down the error message.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. kaledi

kaledi Registered Member

Thanks for your rapid response and I have done as suggested and logged this issue with customer support. For the benefit of other users that may have seen similar problems, I have done some further tests -

My Asus M2N32 SLI-delux has 2 SATA controllers on it - the nVidia and a Silicon Image 3132.
    The BSOD I described above occurs when the backup drive is connected to the nVidia controller. I have since connected it to the Silicon Image controller and although I don't get the BSOD when I back up using TI10, I do get system errors related to the backup drive. I've attached an XML file, where I have dumped the error report from Vista. You can see it clearly references the SI3132 controller. I have therefore concluded it does not to be a controller issue as such, because both the nVidia and SI3132 controllers are affected by doing a backup to this particular drive.
    I have further tested both TI10 and the backup drive (WD3200JD) as follows.
    1. Backups to other system drives (also WD - WD5000AAKS & WD4000KD) work perfectly and have had no system errors or BSOD - these are connected to the nVidia controller.
    2. I've used WD diagnostic software and it shows that the WD3200JD (backup drive) is working correctly and has not problems.

Therefore, I don't think there is a problem with the mechanics of the drive and I don't think there is a driver issue as such, so this could point to a compatibility issue between TI10 and the WD3200JD?

4. kinoini

kinoini Registered Member

Hello,

I'm having problems with bsod's appearing immediately after installing TI 10 Home on a fresh, clean Vista Ultimate (32bit) install.

After installing TI 10 Home, and coming back up from the required reboot, I get a BSOD, and then the system restarts, again.

I wasn't sure it was TI 10, but it surely seems like a reasonable possibilty.

I've been looking around for answers on this forum. Do answers actually get posted? So far, the last thing I see (or close to it) is Acronis asking for additional information. Is it possible if, maybe, the conclusion and resoultion might be posted? Or have they just not been found. I've only been looking for a couple hours, but I can't say I've actually seen resolutions, only threads that trail off...

Here is the inital "Vista Problem Reports and Solutions" message after the bsod.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 50
    BCP1: 9E4E4000
    BCP2: 00000000
    BCP3: 81881733
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

As I said, this occured immediatly after the required reboot when I installed True Image 10 Home, build 4942. I can not say conclusively this is attributable to TI10, but it certainly is a high-probablity candidate.

Anybody seen this before?

For now, I'm chasing a "side-by-side" error that appears in the event log, seemingly just before the bsod. Here's the relevant log message:

Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 7/8/2007 1:58:45 AM
    Event ID: 33
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: PWRSPCVSTA9201
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_0c178a139ee2a7ed\MFC80U.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="SideBySide" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49409">33</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-07-08T05:58:45.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>429</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>PWRSPCVSTA9201</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0"</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_none_0c178a139ee2a7ed\MFC80U.DLL</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

In poking around for these types of errors, I found a message board entry on:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=680635&SiteID=1

Exeprts of relevent entries:
    --------------------------------
    "I was checking compatibility of one of my MFC application in Vista OS. Usually if the MFC shared dlls are not present, i used to copy them in WinSXS under folder with the required folder name like x86_Microsoft.VC80.xxxx. (Installing VC++ Redist also didnt work in my case.) And this would make the application work perfectly.

When i tried to do the same thing in Vista OS, it failed to create the folder. I removed the read only attributes and tried again but in vain. The error i am getting is "User didnt have enough permission to perform this task" but I logged in as Administrator.

I tried to change the security attibutes of Administrator but could not find the Users under Computer Management.

Is there any solution / work around for this issue?"

----------------------------------
    AND

"You're running into a new feature called Windows Resource Protection. It is the successor of Windows File Protection on XP. If you look at the security properties of the mfc file, you'll notice that only the Trusted Installer has full rights; even System and Administrator have read-only permissions."

Full access to the file mentioned in my Vista event log above, MFC80U.DLL, is limited to "TrustedInstaller", who has "Full Control, Modify, Read & execute, Read, Write". SYSTEM, Administrators, and Users, each have only "Read & execute" and "Read" permissions.

I haven't messed with altering these permissions. I'd like to make sure this is, or is not, the issue before making systen changes. I've burned before by making a simple security change in Vista, that pretty much broke the OS.

One thing to note, it's been rolling around in my head: I have disabled UAC for my account, so I do not get the "are you sure you wanted to start this" dialog boxes. From the land of "way out there, are you kidding", does that then limit the escalated authority (during installation) to be only mine (adminstrator) rather than "Trusted Installer"?

This could be a stretch, for sure. But, its the closest I've got so far. I will uninstall TI10 when, or if, I can find no viable resolution. I do not want to for now, I'd like to see if I can create the bsod again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.