TI 10 Bootble Media does not work

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Dave Mac, Nov 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Registered Member

Software works fine and I've used it in anger. However I tried to use the cd media I made last week and my system hits POST, boots from the TI 10 cd but freezes prior to the True Image screen coming up, all I have is a blank screen with a flashing cursor on the left hand side. Same thing happens when I try pressing F11 prior to the OS kicking in. And to top it all my PC now hangs on boot up, I've lost the 'press F11' instruction that would normally appear and I'm left with the same blank screen and flashing cursor. Arghhhhhh!!

Anyone any ideas?

Dave

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  2. Dave Mac

Now I'm really up the creek! PC will not boot past post. However, I do have another HD with a pristine version of my OS on it and can boot from that and have done so. I've now deleted and reformatted the Secure Zone and placed my original HD back in hoping on booting it would bypass the prompt to press F11 (which I don't see). Same problem, gets past POST, blank screen and flashing cursor.

Having now deleted the Secure Zone and not being able to boot into my main HD I'm just starting to get a tad worried that the system that is supposed to provide me with a secure backup system has actually caused me to lose everything!!

Looking through the forum I've found someone else who had the same problem but the thread ended abruptly so I do not know how (or if) the issue was resolved.

Anyone any ideas at all before I start pulling out what hair I've got left?

Dave

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm puzzled as to what has gone on here, I can't see why the CD would alter the MBR, unless a restore is attempted - after all it boots into RAM and runs itself from there. But as you say others have had this problem, I think the problem is your MBR and Acronis do have a link to an MBR remaker in the before you post section of this board.

If you physically deleted the SZ, ie: by pressing the delete button, nasty things will have been left behind, wherever possible it is best to use TI to uninstall, though of course in this instance you couldn't.

If you have an actual XP CD then you won't need to download and burn the Acronis ISO, as you'll be able to remake the MBR and boot.ini (if needed).

Colin

4. Dave Mac

Colin - thanks for the reply.

No restore attempted at all, I just invoked the install ATI restore feature on bootup through the program, next time I tried to boot - I could not get past POST.

In removing the SZ (which is held on another HD) all I did was go into Ctl Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management and then through the disk utilities reformatted the SZ to NTFS.

Now stuck with a PC that will not boot (unles I put in my other HD with only the OS on and nothing else). Is there any way that I can get around what I presume is ATI trying to boot into itself and failing immediatly after POST?

Dave

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Remake the MBR and all should be fine!

Colin

6. Dave Mac

Colin

Followed the instructions found int he 'sticky'. Created a floppy, rebooted and all I got was 'Starting Acronis Loader...' afterhaving accessed the floppy, then it froze again. Not so sure it would be an MBR issue if it will not boot from the CD recovery disk?

Dave

7. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I'm not sure which thread to reply in now :) .

I think there maybe two issues - one the Linux environment on the CD is having problems with your system, I'll check your other thread to see if you have one of the known problem chipsets with TI10.

As far as getting back into your system, then follow what Ralphie said in the other thread - boot with the XP CD choose recovery console, log on to your install of XP, type fixmbr , you may need to also type fixboot and bootcfg /rebuild

Colin

8. Dave Mac

Colin - I'll cose this thread and continue with the other.

Dave

9. Dave Mac

SOLVED!!! (But it cost me £39.99)

Out of frustration I went and purchased the new Norton Save & Restore. Tried to install it and it would not, nor would the Norton boot disk work either. Same issue as existed with ATI.

So uninstalled both ATI (should really have uninstalled that before installing Nortons) and tried again. When I booted my machine back up 3 of my programs threw a wobbly - each used a dll that had been uninstalled when I removed the two programs - MSVCP71.DLL, the culprit. Reinstalled the DLL file into C:\windows after finding a copy on the net and bugger me, both ATI and Nortons now work fine.

£39.99 worse off but a happy teddy!!

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.