TI 10 & 11 crashing while scanning drives for image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ME7, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ME7

ME7 Registered Member

Hello,

with all builds of TI beyond 3715 I've encountered the following problem:

I want to perform a backup and select the drives to be imaged. TI goes out and scans my system's drives to provide me with an overview of possible locations for the image file. Right in the middle of this search it crashes, provides me with an option to send a problem report and terminates.
    This behaviour is perfectly reproducable. TI up to build 3715 works just fine, all newer versions (including V 11) crash. I tried to discuss this with Acronis support when the error occured for the first time, but after receiving my Acronis report file they fell silent.

I have no idea what causes this problem; using Sysinternals' Process Explorer seems to say that it's msvcrt.dll that crashes.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
    ME7

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Did you install any programs that run in the background between the time TI worked OK and now?

That DLL is a Microsoft one in fact MS Visual Studio uses it and so do programs that need to distribute a runtime library file.

It might be that the file has become corrupted. It can be downloaded and re-installed.

Colin

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ME7,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that most likely bodgy is correct: msvcrt.dll is a Microsoft system file which is used by many applications, and if it's corrupted it may cause crashes. Please also see this Microsoft KB article.

If the problem isn't solved by replacing the msvcrt.dll file, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please also collect the user.dmp and drwtsn32.log the way described in this previous post

Then send a reply to the last e-mail from Acronis Support you received. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out the reason for the delay. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. ME7

ME7 Registered Member

Hello all,

thank you very much and sorry for the late reply - I had to be offline for a while. Anyway, I have some good news:
    First of all: I haven't changed this MS DLL. And newly installed software doesn't matter. I can still switch between "working" and "crashing" just by alternately installing the two different TI versions I've mentioned. One works, one crashes - on the very same system.
    But anyway, I managed to sort it out: Eventually I had noticed that the crash happens always when the little hourglass (indicating which folder TI is currently scanning while building the explorer view where one can select the location of the image file) has reached a certain folder lying on my desktop. I moved this folder away to C:\temp and lo! - it worked. Moved it back - crash. And again. Same result. Emptied the folder and left it on the desktop - worked. Moved its contents (just links to some tools) one by one back in to the folder, each time trying to run TI successfully. To cut a long story short: It was a link to a member of the control panel that made TI crash. With this item in the folder, TI crashed every time. With the item removed, all ran smoothly.

So while I'm happy to have solved this issue (and using TI 11 ever after), two questions remain:
    How can a link to a control panel member crash TI?
    How come that TI worked just fine up to a certain version?

That's all from my side - maybe my results help some other poor person driven nuts by a constantly crashing application...

Regards
    ME7

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ME7,

Thank you for the provided information.

We'd like to inform you that starting from build 3854 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation and later Home builds the program started using new algorithm of interacting with Windows Explorer. This could have caused this issue.

Concerning the certain Item that caused the crash, the crash actually happens because of msvcrt.dll which is Windows Component. Therefore, we are unable to clarify this and recommend you to contact Microsoft support.

In any case, if you have any further questions concerning our software, please submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you

--
    Eugene Bogdanov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.