TI 10.0 Incremental/differential backup query

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sigsphotos, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sigsphotos

sigsphotos Registered Member

Hi, I'm a newby on this forum and I have come across a strange behavior with TI 10 (I have build 4871).
    Problem: c:/ drive is 80Gb with 7Gb used (newish system with not much usage)
    TI full backup to 2nd hdd produces 3Gb backup.
    TI set to do differential backup on Windows (XP) closedown produces a 20Mb file even though no work has been done on the PC between the full and 2nd backup. 3rd differential backup is slightly bigger again.
    If I try incremental backup the 2nd and subsequent files are still many Mbs, again with no work having been done on the PC - not even emails.
    I'd love to know what's being backed up that is taking so much space.
    Anyone know the answer?

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello sigsphotos,

3GB for a full image of your C: partition/drive containing 7GB of used space sounds about right if your Windows pagefile.sys is also located on the same partition/drive. However, the large sizes for subsequent differential or incremental images are just not right. Forgive me for what may seem like a dumb question but can you confirm that the backup you have scheduled at Windows shutdown is set to image your C: partition/drive only and not any additional partitions/drives?

Regards

3. sigsphotos

sigsphotos Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman,
    Yes, It's set to backup only the c: drive.
    However, having read some other posts, I may have discovered a possible cause:
    Diskkeeper Pro is running in the background so the c:drive is probably being continually de-fragged.
    From what I've read, TI will re-archive any files that have moved within the partition.
    Could this be it?
    Best regards

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Even though the 20MB size seems very large the defragging could well be the cause. Easiest thing is to shut Diskeeeper off and try again - that will easily decide if it is totally responsible.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello sigsphotos,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, defragmenting the disk\partition prior to incremental/differential backup can affect the incremental/differential backup file size. Please take a look at this previous thread for details.

In addition, the incremental or differential backup created after an active usage of operating system might be considerably larger than usual.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.