thunderbird smtp default doesn't work

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i have 3 accounts gmail/yahoo/and my isp which every account the right smtp setting and in the acount smtp i set yahoo like default

well every time i click write ,thunderbid uses the gmail smtp account

seem thunderbird it's dipendent to the left panel and select the first account every time i click write although i set yahoo smtp default

can you replicate this bug?

i use the last built
    thanks

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I don't use it as my main client any longer but just checked for you and i got the same thing so must be a bug.

This feature works well in the TrulyMail Client by the way ;) :p

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks a lot
    i guess i will use trulymail , hope is there a portable vesion

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

hehe :D - wasn't trying to get you to switch Mantra - you could try posting your issue in the Thunderbird forums.

Yes, i have it residing in a truecrypt container on my computer and plan to move it into a Rohos encrypted partition on removable storage shortly.

5. Spiral123

Spiral123 Registered Member

You are switching setting default smtp in the wrong spot, for sending with different ones.

There is a section in the "account settings" main page, where you configure your signature, called "Outgoing server (smtp).Towards the bottom right above "Manage Identities". NOT the "outgoing server settings" where you set the smtp name,ports, etc...

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks for pointing that out Spiral as that does indeed work. However, since the option to "set default" is listed in the outgoing server settings section it still must be a bug.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

no

really did not understand you!

you mean i should go in the gmail account ->outgoing server ->what should i set what default or another smtp for example my isp smtp

go in the yahoo account ->outgoing server and set the default or my isp smtp?

default does not work ! i 'm talking about the menu up the menage identities

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Re: no

So you want all the mail from your 3 accounts sent through yahoo correct??

Go to "tools/account settings" and under "each account", click on "manage identities". Now click on the "edit" button and in the "outgoing server" box, select the "yahoo smtp". Again, do this for each account!

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

:(

no
    i want to click write and use the default smtp
    and the Spiral123's tutorial doesn't work at least to me

10. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Using the way i just explained, i sent a test email to myself from my hotmail account using gmail's smtp and it worked - too good :eek: it said the email was from gmail when i sent it from hotmail :gack:

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

in short you set up for every account the same smtp ?

i don't want this
    i want to click write and use the default smtp

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

You have me soooooooooooo confuuuuuuuuuuuuuused :p

Ok - so are you saying that when clicking on the write tab, you want the email being always "initially" listed being sent from your "yahoo" account?? And now when you click write and the compose window opens, it always show your gmail address??

Well it might not be working to your satisfaction but that is easy enough to deal with in 2 ways:

- In the compose window where it shows your gmail address, just use that drop down box to change it to yahoo.

- from the thunderbird gui where it list your accounts and their folders on the left side, just click (as to highlight) the yahoo account before clicking on the write tab and it will bypass the default settings and open being addressed from your yahoo account ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.