thunderbird problems

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by DraGoNsLaYaZ22, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DraGoNsLaYaZ22

DraGoNsLaYaZ22 Registered Member

I am having problems with NOD32 and thunderbird. I get this in the scanning log:
    C:\Documents and Settings\DraGoNsLaYeR\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\9au7e1hg.default\Mail\Local Folders\Inbox »MIME »file.bin - archive damaged - the file could not be extracted.

This message is repeated forever. No other file is scanned once it gets to this one. Is there a solution?

2. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Try compacting your inbox once you empty it. Right click and select "compact this folder".

3. DraGoNsLaYaZ22

I tried compacting my inbox, but I did not empty it. Is there an alternative? I do not want to lose my emails.

4. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

You could move your existing email messages to a different folder then compact the empty inbox folder; this is probably the only way compacting will work. If that doesn't work, you might want to visit the Mozillazine Thunderbird Support forum for more advice.

5. DraGoNsLaYaZ22

I followed your instructions and NOD32 was able to scan that file correctly, but the new folder I created was not able to scan properly.

6. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

Seems like there is a corrupt file in one or more of your email messages that is causing a problem. If there are attachments to any of the messages, save them to disk and try to manually scan each, if you encounter the "archive damaged" message on one or more of them, then you have found the culprit(s).

Some file compression/decompression apps have a "repair archive" function, if the attachment that is corrupted is valuable, you might try using such a function to see if it can be repaired. If not, you will probably have to delete the attachment, then see if NOD can complete the scanning process.

I use an archiver program called IZarc (free) which has a repair archive function, I haven't had the need for it so far however, so I can't tell you if or how well it works.

7. DraGoNsLaYaZ22

I found the problem email by moving many emails at a time, scanning after each move, then slowly narrowing it down. It wasn't one with an attachment.

8. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Weird. I guess that would explain why it could not scan the attachment. Sounds like the e-mail message may have a malformed MIME header.

9. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

which is going to be from either a worm or some spammer attempting to crash spamassassin or other spam filtration system... this kind of problem is going to get worse before it gets better (in the number of instances we hear about)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.