Thunderbird Is it good?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JerryM, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I tried Thunderbird a year or so ago, and preferred Outlook Express.
    I understand that Thunderbird has a very good spam filter, and learns as it goes.

1. Anyone here use Thunderbird?

2. Can I use it along side OE? I realize that one would have to be my default account. I am also using Mailwasher Pro. I do not know if Thunderbird is compatible with Mailwasher.

Any comments or advice?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I think it stinks, way too slow for an email client, and its spam filter is just average, must be used with a third party spam filter to effectively filter spam. Lots of decent features, but just too slow for my liking. Slightly bloated imo.
    Yes you can use it along with oe,and yes again with mailwasher.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use Thunderbird and am very pleased with it. I have tried others and they just didn't impress me all that much. Thunderbird is easy to set up and I have had a fairly good experience with their spam filter and it does learn as it works. Do as I did and try four or five others and then make a decision on your experiences. My experiences told me to use Thunderbird;) At the present time I use it to handle two pop3 mail accounts.

bigc

4. fat cow

fat cow Guest

i just use web based email. :) but i have thunderbird installed.

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I've used Outlook Express and Outlook (several versions), as well as several versions of Thunderbird. So far, I like Thunderbird the best.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, it's very good and works very well, but if the future versions will consume less memory will be even better...

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

8. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

+1, As I stated before, it's a resource hog and way too slow due to the memory it uses.

9. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

They work together fine.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

But the new version 1.5 works faster...

11. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I love thunderbird. A new version just came out today. I haven't installed it yet but I will.

12. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Love Thunderbird. Replaced Outlook with it. Have not regretted it, and the spam filter is excellent.

13. drfdgdf

drfdgdf Guest

who needs a spamfilter when we've got free email provided, and stuff like bugmenot and mailinator.com

14. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

I've tried Pine, Pegasus, OE, Eudora, Mulberry, Courier, Foxmail, Scribe, Sylpheed, and others I've forgotten about.
    There were always issues:
    Small ones, like lack of spellchecker.
    Larger issues, as in stability.
    Medium issues, as in mediocre/poor support for IMAP, or multiple identity management if you've multiple addresses.
    Always have come back to Tbird. Yes it's a bit bloated, but I've found nothing else that meets my needs criteria.
    There are MANY clients out there (free ones), check them out. Depending on your specific needs, I'm sure you'll find a client that's ideally suited for you.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I downloaded and installed TB today. I like it so far. I think that the span filter will be very useful as it learns.
    I appreciate all the comments.

Jerry

16. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Glad that you like it, Jerry. While I do agree with Slovak's comments (quoted below) that it is much slower and resource heavy than I prefer, it's free....and I do use it as a "secondary" email client (still prefer Oiulook Express for primary). One of it's best features is the address book (this is it's main advantage over OE, in my opinion). But as others have suggested, there are web-based email clients that do a nice job as well (Yahoo, GMail, etc.)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.