Thunderbird 5 Problem

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by cburak, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cburak

cburak Registered Member

Email subjects are retrieved correctly, but email bodies cannot be retrieved until I "temporarily disable protection."

I have tried enabling and disabling the Eset Smart Security Extension 5.0.94.0, with the same result.

I specifically rolled back my Thunderbird to version 5 because it was supposedly compatible with Eset Smart Security 5.

OS is Windows 7 64-bit ultimate.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I also tried Thunderbird 3.1.7...

2. jjn361

jjn361 Registered Member

That's interesting, because we're having the same issue. Thunderbird 7.0.1, ESET Smart Security 5, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Subjects come through no problem, message bodies cannot be read unless protection is disabled. When I posted about this earlier, no one had a suggestion that solved this issue for us. At this point we're looking at a total uninstall/reinstall, but there's no guarantee that will work.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling IMAP scanning make a difference? If so, could you tell us what IMAP server is used and also supply us with a test account?

4. jjn361

jjn361 Registered Member

Thank you for the suggestion. Disabling IMAP scanning works perfectly. But does this not leave Thunderbird (and the system) completely vulnerable to any virus coming in via e-mail? This is better than disabling ESET completely but this still leaves us open to infection, does it not?

5. patch

patch Registered Member

Sounds like ESET are showing interest in finding out a way to fix the problem with your help.

6. Hypergeek

Hypergeek Registered Member

Just registered so I could throw in with a comment on this as I have just spent the best part of a day wrestling with exactly the same issue, was looking in so many different places before the penny dropped that it was local to my PC and then tracking it down to this exact feature in ESS5.

For me this issue affected ALL mail clients when using IMAP - my primary email client is Windows Live Mail and it would only show the subject of the message and not download the body over IMAP - POP was just fine.

Assuming that it was WLM crapping out I installed Thunderbird 8 and had exactly the same issue, same with Zimbra!

In WLM and Thunderbird connection to the IMAP server would just time out, particularly in WLM it was continually doing these two things:

a) Windows Live Mail 2011 updating your changes
    b) Your IMAP server has not responded in 60 seconds. Would you like to wait another 60 seconds for the server to respond?

When I could see the messages in the inbox, if I clicked on them then they would automatically be marked as deleted - a red cross and a line through and a message saying the the 'message is no longer available on the server'.

I run my own server using hMailServer so spent a day tinkering with server/fiewall settings and getting nowhere... wasn't until I checked my phone and saw all my emails without issue that I got to thinking the issue was local - logged into my work PC and set up the same mail account and everything worked well which confirmed it for me, from then it was a case of disabling stuff until I narrowed it down to this.

Once I knew what to Google for I eventually turned this up, however there really is very little about this available online, hence all of this detail/exposition - hopefully Google will index this detail enabling someone to find it... also the additional detail may help ESET come up with a resolution.

Here's hoping.

Regards.

Martin

7. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Solution is simple, revert back to ESS 4 like I did

much faster internet browsing too in my experience as I was having many webpages not even display images

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.