Thunderbird 3 - added inbox to junk smart folder

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by Long Paddock IT, Mar 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long Paddock IT

Long Paddock IT Registered Member

I installed the beta last week and it added the inbox for all 3 imap accounts to my spam smart folders. I also over-rode the default settings so that it uses the same folder as my server side spam filter, however it still created the eset folders. i'd like to get rid of them if thats possible.

Any idea how to remove them without rebuilding my profile?

Attached Files:

2. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

Which version of tb3 do you have?
    I tried to reproduce your problem with tb 3.0.0 but I didn’t succeed.

To delete folder:
    Switch to All folder view then rename SPAM or ESET Antispam folder to any different and then you should be able to delete it.

A reason why spam folder is created under INBOX is that your IMAP server doesn't support to create any root folder at the same level as INBOX is.

3. Long Paddock IT

I'm using 3.0.3

if i try switching to all folders and deleting it i get the following error ...

also, it isn't adding the spam folder as a subfolder of the inbox that is the problem, it is the adding of the actual inbox itself to the list of "smart spam folders" that is causing issues. When i click on the root spam folder I should see only the messages flagged as spam which are currently in my spam folders. Instead I the contents of the inbox for every account that I have configured listed as spam

4. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

because you forgot to rename it before delete, i have written:
    Switch to All folder view then rename SPAM or ESET Antispam folder to any different and then you should be able to delete it.

5. Long Paddock IT

yeah, my bad. the eset folders are gone. still have the inboxes in my spam folders though and they cant be removed using the same trick.

6. estbird

estbird Eset Staff

You can't delete because you've changed ESS configuration.
    If I were you I would try:
    1. to configure Thunderbird Junk folder for every account
    2. then turn off thunderbird
    3. change eset anitispam settiings in egui to default
    4. start thunderbird
    5. rename folder spam and delete (it shouldn't be protected at this point)
    6. turn off thunderbird junk filter.

7. Long Paddock IT

I don't think I've communicated the issue very well here.

the SPAM folder is created on the server by my server side spam filter. This folder is actually correctly placed in the smart mailbox as this is where any suspected spam/false positives end up. I dont wish to delete this folder.

I wish to remove the reference to my INBOX from the spam smart mailbox. This reference appeared after I installed the beta. Are any developers there able to tell me which config file i might be able to hack in order to remove it from the smart folder. I have looked in SPAM and SPAM.msf in the smart mailbox directory (in the tbird appdata folder) however that is cryptic and I cant find a format description for the file anywhere on the net. Is there a flag in the inbox.msf file that I can unset to let tbird know that this folder is not a spam folder?

The above instructions just recreated the eset folders for me (which i don't want). I would like eset to redirect any spam into the SPAM folder that is already globally configured on my server. This is an available option in the UI (and a very useful one too) and redirects the offending mail there just fine.

I'm thinking at this point the only solution is to disable eset spam filtering and then blow away and rebuild my thunderbird profiles, though this is not an optimal solution as I'd like to know the fix for this in case it occurs with any of my clients.

8. Long Paddock IT

I removed the beta and completely reinstalled thunderbird to rectify this. Might try it again in a virtualbox machine to see if I can replicate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.