Thunderbird 3.1

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Claud44, Jun 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

Okay, it probably behaves differently with the earlier version of TB. Maybe starting the update process somehow affected the extension. Come to think of it, I can't recall whether the ESET extension was actually listed in the earlier TB. It just worked. Maybe it shows only when it is incompatible. It's not as if you'd really want to disable it so long as it is working.

2. JeremyWW

JeremyWW Registered Member

Just had this from Eset UK:

Good morning

There is a new build of Eset software due for release in the next few day which I believe will support Thunderbird v3.1

Please check the Eset web site over the next few days for the release, probably v4.2.58

3. Claud44

Claud44 Guest

Thank you for the updated, hope it will support Thunderbird v3.1. Also could you tell me if there is any kind of mailing list, that people can get on to be notify when there is a new version of ESET comes out?

4. JeremyWW

No mailing list that I know of... (just watch this forum :) )

But...I had an update / correction by e-mail from Eset UK:

"Edit: I have since found out that the new build due for release will not include support for Thunderbird v3.1, support will be added in the next build after tomorrows."

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

that's a very long way off then. what did they change in 3.1 that stopped integration the change log doesnt dive me any clues?

6. JeremyWW

I have no idea. Not stressing about it though as NOD32 will still scan e-mail...

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Significant changes were made to Gecko.

8. JeremyWW

Yes...thanks Marcos

9. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

sorry, but this excuse is kinda ridicoulous.
    the beta and pre of mozilla products are available very soon
    if there is no urgent bugfix - i talk about 1 week ore more
    and in this case several weeks.
    also - the mentioned gecko engine is build 1.9.2 - introduced first
    with firefox 3.6 - released end of january 2010 - are you sleepy?

its same as office 2010 - avaiable since half a year and
    eset cant manage it earlier?

in total: :thumbd:

10. Slooshy

Slooshy Registered Member

It doesn't.

"Incompatible add-on found . . ."

So, I won't bother updating to 3.1 yet.

11. JeremyWW

Why? Your e-mail will still be scanned.

12. Slooshy

I know. But anti-spam won't work properly, so I won't bother with 3.1 until Eset works properly with 3.1

13. JeremyWW

Use the TB Junk Mail Filter - it's very effective. But...up to you obviously.

14. Slooshy

I prefer to use Eset. Regardless, I also don't want to have to deal with potential issues trying to get rid of this error appearing even after Eset SS is updated to be compatible with Thunderbird 3.1: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1703914&postcount=24

It's possible there won't be any problems, but I don't want to bother in the event there are in the future.

15. rcdailey

I can confirm that the latest extension for NOD32 (ver 4.2.58.3) is still shown as not compatible with Thunderbird 3.1. I was a little disappointed that this is not yet fixed, but I can live with it. Uninstalling NOD32 and then installing the new version does replace the extension, based on the fact that the current version number (4.2.58.3) is shown for the installed (and incompatible) extension. Since I use NOD32 and not ESS, I have spam filtering in Thunderbird, which is okay.

16. johnny_dacu

johnny_dacu Registered Member

I have Thunderbird 3.1 and nod32 4.2. But i never noticed this problem. but it exists:|

17. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Same here with TB 3.1 and 4.2.58.3 no difference.

18. harmacy

harmacy Registered Member

What is going ono_O Thunderbird 3.1 has been out for several weeks now, and there's still no updated ESET Smart Security Extensiono_O?? I don't want to use the built-in Thunderbird junk mail controls as they are nowhere near as effective as ESET's.

So what exactly am I paying for hereo_Oo_Oo_O?

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Adding support for new versions of TB is not a trivial thing. To my best knowledge, ESET was among the first to have added support for Outlook 2010. A new build with support for TB 3.1 is being tested and will be released soon. Any emails received via POP3 are still scanned regardless of what email client you use.

20. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

I see no evidence that EAV scans IMAP message on receipt when running Thunderbird 3.1. I tested this by setting EAV to tag all messages that it scans. It failed to do that, unlike what it did with Thunderbird 2.

I have Email Protection on, and Email Integration on. Of course the plug-in isn't accepted by TB 3.1.

21. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

So you agree with me? As I said you miss the tagging and IMAP support. POP3 is still scanned.

22. ralvy

ralvy Registered Member

Yeah. I guess that's right, now that I re-read your citation.

23. rcdailey

The moderators may be frustrated to learn that Mozilla has just released yet another update to Thunderbird. This time it is version 3.1.1. I installed it and, of course, the plugin for ESET is still not compatible (I know, this awaits another update from ESET). I'm wondering whether ESET can ever catch up to these seemingly endless TBird updates? TBird seems to be a rapidly moving target. Oh well . . .

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  24. tisazalay

tisazalay Registered Member

In case someone was thinking about it... don't try to override compatibility (Nightly Tester Tools on TB).... still won't work (TB 3.1.1 EAV 4.2.58.3)
    tisazalay :'(

25. flateric1975

flateric1975 Registered Member

Why update Ess then remove something that was working before? dont remove things inprove them i say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.