Thunderbird 3.1.2 with Nod32 crashes when closing

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by kjz, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kjz

kjz Registered Member

I've update to Thunderbird 3.1.2. Eset Smart Security Extension 4.2.64.12 is installed. When I close Thunderbird the mail client crashes often and sends a crash report. From the crash report:

Signature eplgTbEmon.dll@0x13881
    Crash Reason EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
    Crash Address 0x2ffff4c

So it seems the the crash is induced by NOD32. Therefore I deactivated the Eset Add-on. Now all works fine again, no crashes. How can I (you?) fix it?

2. rcdailey

rcdailey Registered Member

I have not seen this problem. I also have Thunderbird 3.1.2 with the same extension (add-on) installed and it has not crashed. Before I installed the latest version 4.2.64.12 of Eset NOD32, I did completely uninstall the previous version.

Even with the extension disabled, you still get scanning of incoming e-mail.

You may need to give more information about the OS version and any other software you are running that may be checking files and downloads. I have Windows XP SP3 and also run SUPERrAntiSpyware and Windows Defender real-time.

3. kjz

kjz Registered Member

OS is Win XP Sp3. I installed NOD32 over the old version (and disabled self protection before making the update).

Thunderbird was first installed as an update over version 2, but later I deinstalled Thunderbird, delete the Thunderbird program directory and made a fresh install of version 3.

4. rcdailey

You might just try uninstalling NOD32 completely (using the built-in uninstall option, and you have to look for this in "Start, All Programs, Eset"). Then reinstall it. You can export your settings from NOD32 and then import them, but if you are using the defaults, it isn't necessary. Uninstalling NOD32 will remove the extension to Thunderbird, in case there is something wrong with that. I can say that I have always installed Thunderbird updates right over the previous version and never had a problem. With NOD32, the last couple of times I installed an update, I uninstalled the previous version and did a clean install. I did this especially in the case of the problem with Thunderbird 3.1.x not being integrated with NOD32.

One other thing, when I have installed NOD32 updates over a previous version, I never disabled self-protection. Updates worked okay. Of course, if you uninstall NOD32 before installing a new version, self-protection is not an issue.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  5. kjz

kjz Registered Member

I've now deinstalled NOD32 completely and made a fresh install: the problem with crashing Thunderbird is still there.

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

What kind of account do you use - IMAP or POP3? Do you have other add-ons for Thunderbird installed? Does disabling scanning of received or read email make a difference?

7. kjz

kjz Registered Member

I'm using IMAP. Several other add-ons are installed, e.g. Enigmail, MR Tech Toolkit, Xpunge. And I can't change anything in the settings of Eset Smart Security Extensions because the button is grey. Maybe, because options in NOD32 are password protected?

8. kjz

kjz Registered Member

Since I disabled scanning of incoming mail (in NOD32 GUI) I've no crashes. Disabling scanning of outgoing mail: no effect (still crashes).

9. rcdailey

I thought that when you disabled the Eset extension in Thunderbird, you were not getting crashes? If that worked, then you'd still get scanning of incoming email and that would be better than no scanning at all.

10. kjz

kjz Registered Member

Yes, but for testing purposes (as Marcos said) I enabled the Eset extension again and then disabled the scanning of incoming mail in Eset GUI: again no crashes. In the signature part of the Tunderbird crash report I got 'eplgTbEmon.dll', so these DLL also seems to be a cause for the crash. Maybe, a problem with the 'internal communication' between Thunderbird-Eset extension-EMon.

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you try disabling all other extensions but ESET? We'll need to get an application dump of thunderbird.exe generated by downloading Procdump and running "procdump -ma thunderbird.exe". It is important that the window with the notification about the crash is not closed while generating the dump.

12. kjz

kjz Registered Member

I deactivated all other extensions but ESET: Thunderbird is still crashing when closed. I also made a process dump but that's a very large file (30 MB zipped). Where can I upload this file?

BTW: when Thunderbird crashes a process dump of thunderbird.exe isn't available (because this process was terminated), only crashreporter.exe runs.

The crash report details are:

Another detail: I'm using Thunderbird with several different mail accounts (all IMAP) and several newsservers. The crash occurs when I read mails from different mailservers and use newsgroups from different newsservers.

13. rcdailey

I see. Perhaps the significant difference between your setup and mine is that I don't use IMAP. I live in the stone age.

14. rcdailey

Mozilla released Thunderbird 3.1.3 today (09/07/2010). I wonder whether this update (which is supposed to improve stability) will help you? One good thing is that this update to Thunderbird does not kill integration with NOD32.

15. kjz

kjz Registered Member

Same as before, Thunderbird 3.1.3 also crashes on exit:

16. rcdailey

There have been some other recent posts reporting problems with Thunderbird, not the same problems as yours, but they also were using IMAP. It seems to me that there may be a common thread in that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.