Thumbnail Images

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by John Bull, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

OK, you may say "Not another stupid question". Well, yes actually, aimed at space saving in posts, for user convenience more than anything else.

On another Forum (can`t remember which one), when adding an image to the post it came up as a thumbnail. In this way, images never took up much space like full size ones do. When clicked, the thumbnail produced a full size image.

This saved an enormous amount of space on a thread and made viewing much better.

Is a thumbnail facility available for attached images on Wilders ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I've never liked tiny thumbnails, which is why this forum doesn't convert all its images to them. I wanted people to be able to actually see all the thread content, images included, right "in line" without needing to click open extra windows. This is especially useful for documenting images, such as screen shots of problems or product settings. You can see the text and the image(s) in a single view and it's helpful in most situations. (I recommend viewing Rmus' posts as good examples of proper inline image usage.)

I do have the thumbnail feature enabled though, just not for the typical tiny sizes. The thumbnail system only kicks in when an image is larger than 800 pixels. Any image larger than that is reduced to 800 pixels wide, but, no less than that. The reason is this... I wanted the forum to be readable without breaking horizontal margins (images going way off to the right of the visible screen), when viewing it using a screen resolution of 1024x768 and a browser maximized to full screen. Images too much wider than 800 pixels would break-out to the right side. So, this setup brings the images down to a size that fits on the screen, and yet is in most cases is still large enough to be readable.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

As always Mike - an impeccable answer. Whatever would we do without you ?
    John

4. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Yes, as usual an outstanding answer. It is really more useful to have full mages that clickable thumbnails as LowWaterMark mentioned. You could make your own I suppose and add them to the Image Gallery topic, but that would seem like overkill to me. One thing I have noticed since the addition of the Image Gallery is seems like images load faster now than before when 3rd party site linking was allowed. At least that is my perceived observation.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Neither have i, as they are not helpful in being able to fully follow a topic clearly and easily.

What, omly Rmus's :p

I thought it was 850, that's why i always try and reduce mine before uploading to that. I have a feeling some may have slipped through larger than 850 in the past, and not just mine ?

Re - Image Gallery

On several occasions when i've had more than 5 screenies to post, i uploaded the extra ones to the IG, only for them not to show :( ? Just the tags with the IG # and HTTP link appeared ? So i don't use that "feature" anymore, as it just causes me grief, wastes my time, and messes up the post which makes it harder for people to view etc. It might be just a now and then glitch, or ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.