Thumbdrive infected with trojans

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by mapleboi33, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapleboi33

mapleboi33 Registered Member

Sorry if this in the wrong section.My thumbdrive is infected with trojan from my school. It has autorun.inf file in it to excute the hidden trojan( ghost.pif). Now my pc is clean, but my thumbdrive is still infected with the trojan. I want to clean it without infecting my pc. I read that if i hold shift it would disable the autorun. Will this ensure that my pc will not be infected?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes .

1. Hold the shift key
    2. Keep holding
    3. Plug in the removable drive
    4. It should not open because of the Shift key
    5. Hope you have no documents or other important things other than the malware so open My Computer/Windows Explorer , right click the removable drive -> choose Format and format it

Formatting will permanently delete everything from the infected drive.

The above procedure (formatting) is the best way but if you have something important to keep , then after the Shift key has been hold , right click the removal drive and choose to Scan/Clean it with your antivirus . It should detect the malware and delete from there before the drive is opened.

Then , right click the removable drive -> choose Explorer (not Open) , delete the autorun key and any other suspicious not your files , get out the important documents and you are free to format it after that :thumb:

3. mapleboi33

mapleboi33 Registered Member

thanks for the reply :thumb: it is clean now. Must i do this with a uninfected pc?

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I don't understand , what do you mean?

You are welcome , for the reply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.