"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes I agree, 2 different style UI´s, it doesn´t make any sense. And to me it´s also about being in total control of the PC. For example, the Metro screen also tracks all desktop apps that are installed, and there´s no way to get rid of it. Of course, I don´t have to look at it, but I still don´t like this kinda stuff. :thumbd:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Rasheed187

Of course Win 8 isn´t a bad OS, but instead of coming up with stupid ideas like Metro as replacement for the desktop, they should fix stuff that really matters (see link). And getting rid of the start menu was one of the stupidest idea´s of all time. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...ship-in-april-2015.358427/page-4#post-2397842

BTW, I forgot about this example, why on earth would you present me the Metro GUI, in a desktop environment?

Attached Files:

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I think this is interesting because the Windows 95 UI team's top priority was usability; they incorporated users of different skill levels at numerous stages to test the designs. IMHO this is the reason the UI was such a success and has stood the test of time.

The Windows® 95 User Interface: A Case Study in Usability Engineering

http://www.sigchi.org/chi96/proceedings/desbrief/Sullivan/kds_txt.htm

4. anon

anon Registered Member

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

7. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

as it turns out I just been finishing diagnosing an issue.

win7 was running fine, built new pc, moved over ssd but clean reinstalled win 7 sp1, previous install had a load of hotfixes installed via KUC.

New install suddenly developed a nasty memory leak on the network interface storage service, e.g. after 3 weeks uptime it would leak about 5 gigs of ram usage, crazy stuff. Found a bunch of other people on net with same issue but they all had no luck with solution, then a MVP gave me a hotfix for the issue, but then the hotfix wouldn't install said incompatible even tho it was for win7 SP1 x64.

So I then reran KUC, it installed a few hundred hotfixes and bam the issue is gone, long story short if SP2 was released I bet this bug would be gone. I think as you said Microsoft wanted more $$ and holding back support for win7 meant more people upgrading to win8.

I await win9 (threshold) with interest it does look like the good release in the good bad pattern, but I don't like this new rapid release schedule for the OS, I am not going to be changing my OS every couple of years and Microsoft seem to have developed a knack for abandoning tech they develop quickly now.

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/11/6135079/windows-9-leak-technical-preview

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

11. Rasheed187

It seems that they will indeed try to integrate "Metro and Live Tiles" into the startmenu, so no real need to upgrade to Win 9. I´ll stick with Classic Shell. :)

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Well, as for upgrading there are a number of unknowns at this point; will 9 do an "in place upgrade" of 8? of 7? Since programs aren't preserved when upgrading from 7 to 8.1 I won't be surprised if that's true when going from 7 to 9. That would be a deterrent for 7 users. On the other hand if you're already running 8 this may not be an issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-from-windows-7-tutorial

There's also the matter of cost. If MS makes it inexpensive as they did when they released 8 ( $40 if memory serves) that would encourage adoption.

13. Rasheed187

@ Victek

My general impression is that it will not be groundbreaking, so that´s why I´m not going to wait for Win 9, Win 8 is good enough. I will only switch if they fixed a couple annoyances, but I´m not counting on it. :)

14. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Absolutely! I need my tech to function for me and not the other way around. I'm not interested in learning and re-learning something new and different in order to accomplish the same tasks.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

My desktop box runs Win 7 x 64. I can't see me swapping that for anything new from MS until they stop supporting it. I can't envisage many Win 7 users who didn't want 8 suddenly adopting 9 (Threshold).

16. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If M$ had made so I had 3 choices to choose DE in 8. One I never want to see in any way shape or any metro tiles. Two I'm happy mixing both metro & desktop. Three all I need is metro. This would have killed 99% percent of 8 complaints. Stupid stupid M$.

17. Daveski17

That would have been too logical though lol.

18. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

That's just the thing. I'll get Windows 9 for my next build because I'll want to use it for more than 5 years. I don't upgrade the OS (without a new system) anymore, but I won't stick to one past its EOL.

19. guest

guest Guest

It makes me wonder if the new CEO would change the good-bad-good-bad curse pattern, lol. If Microsoft failed to mix Metro UI into the desktop like they have planned, they will not be successful with 9 either. Basically, it looks like Microsoft does not know what it is doing anymore. I won't be surprised if in the early weeks of 9's final release it would be botched that will make the users rage, again.

20. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

if Steve Ballmer was still at the helm,
    it would be bad-bad

still, I feel for the guy
    he had to buy a basketball team to console the grief

21. Daveski17

Hopefully Win 7 will be supported for a while. If I have a custom box made again, I'll probably go Ubuntu or just buy a Mac.

22. Daveski17

Ironic, considering he was the one that dropped the ball.

23. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

You should be working for them mate, sadly M$ & common sense rarely go hand in hand.

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Good thing there are alternatives, right? :)

25. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

I doubt that I will. I'll see what Win 9 and 10 look like.

I'm tired of MS's approach with their OS's anyway, limiting the user's control as well as the ability to remove or disable components without resorting to hacking or just putting up with it. Even if Win 9 looks fantastic, I'm not sure yet, because I want more control, not less.

Meh, maybe if I can get real cheap, maybe. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.