"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

A $30 price-point would certainly spur massive action - at least purchasing it. But 8.1's biggest problems have been driver-related, and the LAN vs HDMI conflicts put a lot of 8.1 machines back onto 8.0, which never had those issues. I've never seen a Dot One release require so many new driver-rewrites before, so the 'cosmetics' of 8.1's changes were a lot deeper than a few checkboxes.

There will be more than a few gun-shy admins with the Win 9.0 release, too. Much less 9.1.

The "almost real-time meta data" is going to have an interesting impact. Outside of the UI changes, I've thought the invasion of the WinStore was clearly the biggest obstacle that Ballmer threw in front of consumers. So did the Chinese gov't. Tricking people into an Always-Logged-On state is a business model that cell-phones have enjoyed, but only a few very-non-productive users pretend a computer and a cell-phone are the same device.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. guest

guest Guest

See it from business point of view and it won't make sense mostly.

4. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'm confused, will there still be a 9 or are they skipping it to 10? It seems like they are skipping 9.

5. guest

guest Guest

They skipped it it seems. Don't see the logic at all behind this action. I can understand if they skipped Windows 4 or Windows 13, but there's nothing wrong with number 9 in any cultures, unless they took our inside joke about the number 9. In that case, I already have my own nickname for the used to be called Windows 9, which I think is the most appropriate moments for it right now by looking at the recent update incidents. =V

6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

So ashamed of 8, Microsoft didn't want to just flush the toilet once. "FLUSH IT AGAIN!!!"

Darn - they really should have announced Windows14.

Wait - why don't WE do it here?!! ANNOUNCING WIN 14!!

"We know we're gonna get there sooner or later!" - Microsoft

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's what I'm saying... From a business point of view, it makes perfect sense to offer it to 8 users for free. If it cost them virtually nothing to develop it, they can give it away for free, and look like good guys... :)

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

When you buy those OS upgrades and download them digitally (No physical disk), can i reinstall it all the times i want as long as its the same machine? (I might pull the trigger and update my laptop OS)
    Also, if i format the laptop, do i need to go through W7 and then install the newest OS every single time i format it?

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Nine, Ten, what's the difference. A rose by any other name is still a rose. The title of this thread is now wrong and it should be closed, and re-named "Threshhold" to be called 10 at least for now.

10. guest

guest Guest

I should've said from basic business practice point of view. When you still can charge people for your product why giving it away for free? Even if it cost them nothing to develop Threshold they can still introduce some fancy cosmetic touches and charge people for those small additions. Most people are not going to complain anyway if the new albeit small additions met their preferences.

I won't expect a rose if the name tag says "Red Bull", not a little. =V

That's true IMO. No need for dualism in Threshold discussions.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe it was possible to install the 7 "upgrade" without a previous OS on the system (there was a workaround) and hopefully that will be the case with 10, but we'll have to wait and see. As for downloading the OS it's a good idea to create a few copies on DVDs and document the license. I don't know that there's any limitation regarding the number of times installing on the same platform (with unchanged hardware), but in the past it's been possible to call MS support to clear up that kind of problem (usually caused by hardware upgrades).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.