"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

I can understand why a development team might think managing a single OS would be simpler, but honestly I think they got distracted with windows surface and forget that this needed to run on a desktop and in business/school settings. I'm not a fan of the modern UIs that some of the software developers have been pushing, but oddly enough the Tile UI in Comodo actually looks pretty nice. The icons don't look too boxy or ugly and the colors seem a bit darker. Perhaps its the uniformity of all of the icons or the light background to contrast. Who knows, if they make improvements I might come back around to Windows eventually. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Can't wait to see the changes it will bring. :D

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I installed Windows 8.1 32-bit on a PC with 2GB RAM that was previously running Windows XP (A dual core machine). It ran just as fast as it did with XP, and in some cases, even faster. I was floored, MS had done good.

4. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

I just hope all the Win 8 fanbois who claimed everyone else was "afraid to change" will be the first-day choosers of Win9. We know it will need a few months of super-beta testers. I hope all those brave fanboi souls with do that.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

As soon as TP is released it will be installed in my VirtualBox. I hope that new version will still be so stable and fast as 8 is right now.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I have to agree, there's absolutely nothing exciting about Win 9. Actually, I'm afraid that the new Start Menu (with Live-Tile Metro crap) will perhaps break apps like Classic Shell, so Win 9 is actually a reason to buy a new Win 8 machine soon. :)

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Based on the information we have so far the live tiles can be removed from the new Start Menu. As for apps like Classic Shell breaking that's always a possibility with a new OS release. If an app is currently supported then the developer will restore compatibility.

8. guest

guest Guest

Neither. Wake me up when Microsoft released a paper regarding new features in 9 that I have no idea what it is talking about lol.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

9 does seem to be largely about restoring what they removed from 7, but there may also be improvements "under the hood" that will make it worthwhile. MS is having the unveiling event on 9/30 so the tech preview can't be far behind.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I still wish they'd restore Aero... it would make things look so much better than they are now.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I haven't even got onboard with the 8.1 upgrade yet (still smooth sailing 8.0) and here comes Windows 9 :p

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

14. anon

anon Registered Member

Windows 9 said to be free (again), this time by a Microsoft official
    http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-9-said-to-be-free-again-this-time-by-a-microsoft-official

15. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

16. guest

guest Guest

I'm still not buying the news of free Windows 9 upgrade, although by looking at Windows 8's market share it might still be possible. But to me it's just not sensible to just give away a new Windows OS. I won't complain if it will really happen though. =V

17. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

It's also hard for me to believe upgrade will be for free. I would be happy if upgrade will not be expensive.

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It does make sense if you realize that all 9 is, is 8 with a few minor cosmetic changes and maybe a tweak or two under the hood. In other words, it cost them almost nothing to produce 9. I've decided I'm going to pass on the 9 preview... waste of time.

19. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Registered Member

I'll bet, if it's an upgrade, then it's a require-old-version-to-be-installed upgrade. No chance of a truly clean upgrade therefoe. More full-toilet bowls of Microsoft, unflushable, stinkin' up the joint.

But I think I saw that the Start Menu Folder System still exists (like it has since Win 95-98-2000-XP-7-8-8.1). Once they destroy that, then I'll have a real problem.

As for Linux offerings, I don't really care about OSs - I care more about applications and services I produce from programs. Not the OS. When Linux programs offer all the same needed services, then Windows will face a stronger exit motive.

20. anon

anon Registered Member

21. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

22. I don't understand the fuzz about WIndows 8.1, just add classic shell and you have your start button. Windows 8 is great on phones,it is the OS whit lowest battery drain

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

And why would they want people running Win 8 and 8.1 to migrate to Win 9 free? My fast Samsung machine loses some of its features by upgrading to Win 8.1, I can't imagine Win 9 doing any better... I'm very happy with Win 8 with metro and all. I wouldn't mind to have it for my Vista machine if the introductory price is reasonable...

24. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

I wonder if it's free for 8.1 b/c it is basically 8.1 with some cosmetic changes and some tweaks to the UI? I never got around to using 8.1 after 8, so I won't be able to tell ,but I wonder just how much under the hood they will have actually upgraded from 8.1 in the short time since it's release? In any case I have my VM ready to check it out, let's hope its worthy

25. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Regarding whether the Windows 9 upgrade will be free - an article in Computerworld paints a somewhat different picture for 8.1 users depending on whether one has a bona fide or OEM version. The article claims Windows 7 users will probably have to fork out around $30 for an upgrade disk pack.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2688806/leaker-claims-only-some-windows-8-1-users-will-get-free-windows-9-upgrades.html

Since we're only at the rumour stage – I'm not holding my breath, but I'll be more than happy to get the $30 disk pack as (for me) this would be more cost effective than any so called free download.

(As a Windows 8 user – I bypassed 8.1 as I didn't see any point in upgrading – and have been waiting for 9 instead)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.