"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kirk Reynolds, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/threshold-be-called-windows-9-ship-april-2015

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yup. Linux Mint 16 is working lovely in here.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Maybe it'll be a success, considering the longstanding pattern set by Windows ME.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Funny name "Threshold".

As in I've had it up to here with Windows & reached my aggravation threshold!

5. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Mint is nice, unfortunately for gamers - windows is the only choice.

But everyone I know is still on Windows 7, and will be on Windows 7 at least until Windows 9 SP1... LOL!! Windows 8? Haven't run into a PC with it installed in nearly 6 months. Most that had it, reverted back.

My son bought a new Laptop ($1600 gamer rig), and went specifically with MSI because they offered Windows 7 preinstalled as an option, rather than Windows 8. If the manufacturers aren't pushing it, you know it is a failure.

6. Kirk Reynolds

If you can build your own, or have it built, then it's even less of a headache since all you have to have is a copy of Win 7 to install on it. At least with desktops anyway.

Last I heard, gamers and enthusiasts were helping to drive hardware sales up even though store bought PCs are down.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Hopefully Steam will change that in the next 3 years.

8. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Steam was supposed to have already done it. I guess it hasn't worked out as much as people thought? Windows 8 was doomed from the start, despite the many proclamations from marketing wannabees and those who "talked to store employees, who claimed things were just dandy". I'll never forget a friend of mine telling me how some Best Buy peon told him 8 was great and that it'll be everywhere and he should go ahead and get it. Windows 8 failed..but the Best Buy guy did his job marvelously. :D

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Im fine with Windows 8 since i rarely use the Metro Start Menu interface. Aside from the Metro Start Menu, W8 is very very good.

10. Kirk Reynolds

Valve only started adding Linux support to the Steam client around a year ago, and Steam OS isn't even officially released yet. They're still in the early stages right now.

I want to thank you and others here at Wilders for selflessly beta testing Windows 9. That's what I call teamwork! :D

11. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So wheres my prize!! :D

13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

14. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

I'm loving Mint too :thumb:

15. guest

guest Guest

Now waiting for security improvements in Windows 9. I hope they can make it tougher. No more jelly OS.

For some people the number 9 is often associated with "idiocy", so it might also be the worst failure M$ could've ever done. :D

I personally think it's a cool name, actually.

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I like being always right ... but if they restore the menu, they get kisses from me. A public worship if you will. I'm that fair.
    Mrk

17. Kirk Reynolds

You get to choose between a 1 year free subscription to McAfee Internet Security or IObit Malware Fighter. Congratulations! :D

Maybe so. They haven't even begun development yet according to that article. Maybe it's as he suggests, a Win 8.x branded as Win 9.

18. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

They've ruined an entire round of OS sales, just to get you acquainted with Metro.
    While showing with force how utterly useless tiles/touch interfaces are on non-touch apparatus, they've managed to entice you to buy a Lumia 520.
    Perhaps a bizarre smartphone-PR-by-OS-near-death-strategy but it works, somehow, if you don't consider profitable income-models and other mondain ideas.

19. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Agree with you Noob... new to Win8.1 but so far so good.

20. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Windows 7, the successor to XP?

21. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

You mean VistaSP3? ;)

Seriously, yes, Vista is also considered an intermediate wreck edition by many.
    In my experience it was most driver issues in the beginning, serious issues but not necessarily all MS related, some hardware manufacturers seemed to actually wait until the first customer installed Vista and then react 'Oh? You want a driver for the OS?'
    And after SP1, Vista was solid ime. While the OS was running fine, whole tribes still continued to discuss the 'early day'-issues.
    Win7, with all due respect, is only a bit more than VistaSP3 imo.

22. Kirk Reynolds

Vista SE. ;)

23. jonyjoe101

jonyjoe101 Registered Member

not so fast, windows 9 is going to have what is called metro 2.0. So how is that an advancement over windows 7? I used vista 64 on a gaming laptop and it ran great if not better than xp. I like Vista better than windows 8.
    Microsoft need to either concentrate on cellphones or on OS, they are not compatible.
    I'm using XP as I type this on my laptop and it works like a champ. Still got more years of life. Windows 9 is not looking to good for me.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I wonder if Windows 8 has had any beneficial impact on the sale of Windows Phone? Regarding "non-touch apparatus" I've started to notice more Windows 8 laptops with touchscreens, but does this model really work and are they selling? You hold a smartphone or tablet in your hand and automatically find the correct position/distance for hands and eyes, but with a laptop it may not be so easy. I tend to keep my laptop screen at a distance that is too far for comfortable swiping.

25. Victek

Victek Registered Member

LOL! I guess they would deserve a round of applause if they properly restore the Start Menu and the desktop generally in "9".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.