three images of backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mrgaryd, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrgaryd

mrgaryd Registered Member

I just installed TI on this laptop and when I do a backup I get three separate images stored on my external drive, why is this??

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Probably because the drive is formatted as FAT 32 which has a 4GB file size limit.
    You can leave things as they are as TI will treat the files as one backup. If you prefer you could convert the drive to NTFS which does not have the same size constraints.

Xpilot

3. mrgaryd

The drive that I backed up is NTFS the drive that back up to I don't know but will check

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

All the external drives, if bought off retail stores, will come formatted as FAT32.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can confirm what Xpilot said by starting TrueImage. Select Validate image and navigate to one part of the image you made. Click on it and read the text in the right hand pane. It will say "This is volume 1 of a multivolume image." The next will be volume 2, etc.

Note that the names for all parts are the same except for the number appended at the end of the name you typed. I always end my backup names with a # sign. That way the parts (volumes) are:
    MyBackup#1.tib
    MyBackup#2.tib

Of course, I don't use MyBackup. I use names like Dell notebook 6-10-07#.

6. mrgaryd

I formatted the external drive to NTFS and did another backup and it left only one image this time..thanks guys for the help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.