ThreatFire won't install

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Wordward, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I know, I know. It had to happen after trying all those different security apps. LOL. I uninstalled ThreatFire Pro recently to use Webroot Desktop Firewall, and after uninstalling WDF to reinstall ThreatFire again, I got this message. Unable to execute file. Program Files/ThreatFire/TF Tray exe. "Create process failed do to code 14001 application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling may fix the problem." I did try, but got the same message. I tried some other apps one at a time that I have used before to see if they would install and each one did, but still not TF. I am using Windows XP with Avast home at the moment and thought I would add TF, but obviously I can't until I find a solution. Just wondering why this may be happening and if CCleaner or Webroot Firewall may have deleted something from my PC that's needed to install TF. I posted about the problem in the PC Tools Forum and was told to install something that has to do with Side by Side 86 something or other, but that didn't work. I did a google search on the problem and what i found basically confused me, and although everything seems to be fine with my PC it worries me somewhat that some dlls. or something may be missing. I appreciate some help with this if possible, and thanks ahead of time.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Sadly TF has always enjoyed a reputation as a tightarse in this regard. :( It's generally fine, but seems more likely to go haywire than other programs if you constantly muck around installing and uninstalling other low-level drivers (e.g. security software). If even the Novatix support personnel can offer you no further advice, it looks as if the only solution may be a rollback or reformat.

3. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

Sorry to say but TF is an uneeded program. A good firewall such as Online Armor or Comodo with a good anti virus like NOD32 is all the protection you need.

4. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Reformat. I just had one done a month ago. Everything else is running fine and I am currently trying out the newest release of Comodo pro Firewall 3.0. I'm not sure what may missing from my PC to cause the error message, but if it can't be fixed without a reformat, and CPF keeps running as smooth as it has been, then sadly there's really no need for ThreatFire.

5. solcroft

That was just my opinion, assuming that the support team can give you no further advice.

6. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

It's all cool solcroft. I'm diggin what you're layin out man. LOL. Seriously though, I have liked using TF in the past and never had a problem installing it, or uninstalling it for that matter. However I have never had this happen with any other security software I've tried before and the only thing I can think of is maybe one of the apps I recently installed amd then uninstalled, or CCleaner, may have removed something from my PC that is needed for a program like TF to install. CCleaner has been very safe for me in the past, but who knows. Time will tell I guess, but I'm beginning to like CPF more and more. This latest version is very nice.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  7. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

System Restore was the answer solcroft. TF support also suggested this and djames was wonderful with all the back and forth we had via E-mails in an attempt to figure this out. Not sure what happened, but Webroot Desktop Firewall may have been the culprit here. The only programs I installed after the Dec. 1st Restore Point i went back to was Avast and Windows Defender. Maybe WD did something after uninstall, but I doubt it. I am inclined to think WDF with DSA enabled may have removed something when it was uninstall that prevented TF to install. All right then, let this be a lesson to all you people who try so many different software programs. Wait that's me isn't it? LOL. Take care all.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  8. solcroft

Yep, the Novatix team itself is just another one of ThreatFire's many compelling features.

Glad you got it sorted out.

9. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Thanks solcroft. I believe I will just stick with TF and an AV for now. The new Comodo Firewall seems daunting, and Webroot FW with DSA enabled may have caused the problem. Other than that Online Armor is good choice to use for HIPS, but I think TF behind a router firewall and maybe Avira PE will suffice. See ya.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Wordward:

Just want to share my own experience with you:

When uninstall any complicated/sophisticated security app, better to do it in safe mode, after reboot, to use registry cleaner and followed by registry editor, to get rid of all drivers/hooking leftovers.

Without doing so, your next any security may encounter errors during installation.

My guess of your TF installation may be the result of such scenario.

Take care.

11. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I hear ya Perman. You know I also remember getting a message when I tried to play a song in my MS Media Player having no sound and receiving a message that another app may be using my sound card or something like that. That's when I decided to uninstall Webroot Firewall and afterwards all was well again. Then a few days later was when I tried to reinstall ThreatFire and well you know the rest of the story. Again I want to say how djames from the PC Tools website was very helpful and never gave up trying to figure this out. I E-Mailed djames to inform him about the System Restore I went back to before Webroot was installed in hopes that this experience can be reproduced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.