ThreatFire/Prevx

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JCorliss, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Thanks for the info Darren. Will have a look in a minute.
    Ian

2. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

Is this the free or the licensed version? In order to be able to cleanup I have to buy the product, right?

EDIT: I have the MVPS Hosts file installed on my pc and when I run the latest Prevx CSI Free (1.2.101.109) I get the message that a malicious entry has been found in the Hosts file. Is this normal and what should I do about this?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I'd say probably yes ....your host file will redirect web addresses to another location .....local host 127.0.0.1

You could use a host file manager like http://www.abelhadigital.com/2007/12/hostsman-3155-released.html

Remove the current hosts file and scan again or use the host file manager to check the host file

4. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I checked my Hosts file with the manager and it found nothing out of the ordinary. Should I just ignore the Prevx CSI warning then?

5. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I guess that Prevx provides a warning because of the address redirection.

If there is nothing unusaul I'd ignore the warning ....

6. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi,

Yes, in order to enable the cleanup you have to buy a license - only the scan is free.

There is a bug in CSI build 1.2.101.109 relating to the false warning on the MVPS hosts file. This will be corrected in the next release.

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

ghiser1,

Does the release of CSI mean Prevx's behavioral-based technology won't be available to download for trial anymore?

Thanks.

8. ghiser1

ghiser1 Developer

Hi solcroft,

New users haven't been able to "trial" Prevx 2.0 since September 2007. An existing user reinstalling (providing they haven't reinstalled their OS as well) will be granted their trial back again, if appropriate, when they select temporary activation.

A new user may use temporary activation to activate for 24 hours only - but this does not include cleanup. This is as close as you can get to a trial.

This allows you to perform scans, assess compatability etc before you buy, but to continue use of Prevx 2.0, you have to enter a license key within 24 hours or it will shutdown.

Any potential corporate customers looking for short-term trials should contact Prevx sales to discuss their needs.

Prevx 2.0 is still available to download from http://info.prevx.com/downloadprevx2.asp.

Darren

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to me you cant even compare this 2. Prevx is far superor to TF. Prevx has proven to be a stand alone app where TF is more of a complimentary add on. Sorry Solcroft, TF is good, but I would damn sure take Prevx as my one Hips as I asked in the Hips or AV thread.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hello ;)

im more than happy with what prevx 2.0 offers ;)

enjoying the product v.mucha :p

yep, its an impressive list... thats for sure.

id like to see faster cleaning though.

11. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi Darren

Being back on the wagon, I recently used Prevx2 (with one of my own spare licence codes) to clean a customer's computer, after cleaning I then uninstalled the product from his computer. It looks to me that CSI+ may be a more suitable product for this purpose?

Edited to say that it looks like CSI+ may be suitable to sell to the end-user after they've seen it do the clean-up?

12. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Although as a TF user I won't dispute that Prevx may be the more seasoned app between the two with a nicer GUI. I can't agree that Prevx is far superior than TF. Having also used Prevx and more recently Comodo 3.0. I'm not so sure Comodo's Defense+ in addition to it's Firewall Protection isn't superior to both Prevx and TF.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Comodo was buggy for me and Vista, and Prevx worked great. It is really what works for each.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I agree. I have Windows XP and only 512MB of Ram, and although all three ran fine on my PC, Comodo seemed to run the best. I just wonder how good any of these three programs truly are at preventing a new or 0 Day Malware attack of some kind?

15. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

About 2 weeks ago it was the other way around. Sure bud.

http://betatest.avira.com/punbb/viewtopic.php?pid=5694#p5694

trjam wrote: the program. It is fine with Avira but its detection isnt as high as most think. If I wanted to use a behavior blocker with Avira, I would use something like the free version of Threatfire.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

gee, I guess a change of mind isnt allowed. I sincerely apologize and will be more careful.;)

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Yer freedom of speech is highly overrated especially when it makes no sense but all kidding aside i only brought it up cause ya hijacked my thread, bashed the product wich u speak highly of now, in favor of promoting threatfire on a betaforum where people report problems.

18. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I've never tried Prevx, so I wouldn't know, and now it looks like I'll have no opportunity to either without forking out some cash, which I'm woefully short of at the moment. :ouch:

If this is true, though, then judging from what TF can do in my experience, Prevx is a very VERY formidable program indeed.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, I hope you get a chance to try it. I was also getting ready to change my avatar back and Admin, is this good or bad here at Wilders.

Image hash change limit reached! (Maximum number of avatar changes (256) has been reached. No additional avatar changes possible.

Do I win a prize or something?

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep an Ubuntu distro with AppArmor and Avast, Pete or Ronjor will contact you soon

21. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

trjam, this means you now must use Avira for evermore and forsake all other security software progs :D :D

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeas, but it really is embarrising and stupid on my part.

23. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

nah come on trjam, don't be so hard on yourself. Sure the mods will sort it for you.

24. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In regards to "good or bad", I reckon it's according to how you wish to look at it given it appears you have set some kind of record, a record I have never heard of anyone else getting in all my years here at this Security Forum.

Bubba

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, I guess you can rank it up there with records of the Barry Bonds type.:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.