ThreatFire or Mamutu?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ExtremeGamerBR, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

ThreatFire or Mamutu?

I wonder which of these are better Behavior Blocker? ThreatFire used for a long time, but now Mamutu is better?

Sorry for my English.

Thanks!

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will say mamutu:thumb:

3. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

threafire better :-*

mamuto realy too bad

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Malware gets frequently updated. Mamutu gets frequently updated. Threatfire has NOT been updated -- not for a long while, sad to say.

PCTools has promised to soon release a beta update to TF. I hope so. However, Symantec made redundant most of TF's staff in Bolder Colorado, & TF is reportedly now handled by a MUCH smaller staff in Australia.

5. cruxx

cruxx Registered Member

Threatfire appears unloved by the developers, not updated much at all. Mamutu seems are far more practical solution amd runs very nicely with my current setup. Security apps need to be updated and Threatfire seems an uncertain proposition to me. :doubt:

edit;
    beat me to it, gandalf....er...bellgamin I mean. ;)

6. progress

progress Guest

Mamutu :)

7. microbial

microbial Registered Member

Mamutu too

now there's a rhyme! :D

8. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I have to say Mamutu... I'll be switching soon from TF to Mamutu... just waiting 'til the end of the month to check if anything arises about that new beta version of ThreatFire.

By the way... Is it true that this two are the only "pure" behaviour blockers available? (talking about stand-alone apps)

If so, then I guess either they're really going down or there's a huge niche to be exploited.

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Mamutu is recommended here for reasons already discussed.

10. thanhtai2009

thanhtai2009 Registered Member

Mamutu :D -smaller, better

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Actually, Mamutu was born as the behavior-blocker component of Emsi Anti-malware (nee A-squared). They then provided a stand-alone version of the behavior blocker for those who want it. As to who decided to name it Mamutu (and as to what they were smoking at the time) your guess is as good as mine.

There are several antivirus programs that have integral behavior-blocker-type components. E.g., KIS, Avira, Avast. By the same (or similar) token, there are firewalls that have integral classic-HIPS-type components, such as Online Armor, Outpost Pro, Private FW.

IMO the trend is in the direction of *Suites* -- multiple types of security apps as integral components of a single broad-based security app. Thus, the era of specialized, stand-alone security apps seems to be drawing to an end.

That doesn't make me smile because I prefer to mix & match stand-alones according to my own preferences. I guess this started when I long ago bought a suit with 2 pairs of matching trousers, and then burned a hole in the coat. :oops:

I no longer buy suits -- just sports jackets & slacks -- for much the same reasons that I do not buy security suites. :shifty:

12. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

hahaha :argh: you're right. It's fun and comfortable to mix and fine-tune things according to your needs. really sad stand-alones are vanishing as big-named companies try to hoard every single niche.

BTW, thanks for the info on Mamutu!!! :thumb: would there be a way to abbreviate it's name? like MU, idk.... hehe

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No match. Mamutu.

14. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

+1 for Mamutu. :thumb:

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes mamutu

16. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi there,
    Seems like the name "Mamutu" may deserve an explanation ;) . Well, if navigated to http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/mamutu/, a close look at the top of the page may reveal the puzzle
    We have plans for significant improvements on the behavior detection algorithms and no plans to merge the product to the AntiMalware.

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow NICE fact man!

BTW, :argh: good to know you will be improving Mamutu BB SOON!!
    Isn't Mamutu already integrated into EAM?
    Or just part of it o_O

18. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Both products use the same behavior blocker engine. But while Mamutu remains as pure behavior blocker, Anti-Malware also includes the disk scanner, file guard and surf protection.

19. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Was the suit later offered as freeware? :D Or is that free wear? :D

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Unluckily I prefer a classical HIPS, but EAM is an excellent product, the first for who like that kind. :thumb:

21. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was a fan in the past of Emisisoft but then I kind of jumped ship when A-squared Free took a dive, it seemed like back in the beginning things were going down hill for Emisisoft, at least it seemed like it to me...

As Behavior Blockers go how is Emsisoft?

So is the Anti-Malware just as good as Mamutu with the extras?

22. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

What's the problem with the end of a-squared Free? It was replaced by two even better alternatives:

1. Freeware mode of Emsisoft Anti-Malware which is feature-identical with old a-squared Free.

2. Emsisoft Emergency Kit, which is actually based on the old a-squared Free sourcecodes, but optimized for portable use. Does not require installation anymore.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Even if ThreatFire hasn't been updates for some time, that doesn't mean it's any less effective. In fact when i was testing it like 2 weeks ago, it was alone performing much better than most AV's. I'd as well like some improvements in speed because i can feel a bit of a slowdown, but detection wise it's far from bad. That's the point of behavior blockers, they don't need to be updated too often.

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm in total agreement with this statement by this member. Very well said.

Threatfire (Formerly CyberHawk) held promise in this IMO very unique & limited catagory of pure BEHAVIORAL BLOCKERS which are vital elements that meld well coupled with AV's or AS's etc. in security protection.

To allow TF to fall isolated and ignored is unthinkable IMO and perhaps they should sell the source to another taker who can make better use of it and provide it with the constant attention needed as MAMUTU makers have so very well done with their prize BB that continues to be a source of strength for both the makers and the customers/users.

EASTER

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use Cyberhawk when first started and my combo by then was Cyberhawk and Mcaffee antivirus long time ago:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.