ThreatFire, Mamutu, WinPatrol etc..

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Saraceno, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Just a question, can either ThreatFire, Mamutu, WinPatrol Plus be set to require a password to be entered to open/access the main interface?

For example, if unwanted software were installed on your system, and were allowed by the protection program, the user with the password would be able to log in, track the change and undo/remove the change?

Are there any other behavioural type programs (not mentioned) that can be set to 'password only' to open/access the main interface?

What I'm thinking along the lines of is preventing the possibility of any keylogger being installed/allowed by another user. :)

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I use WinPatrol Plus and see no option to set a password.

3. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Thanks G1111.

WinPatrol is very thorough, so if something was installed while you were away from your computer (and say that user prompted WinPatrol to accept and then cleared the logs), it would take a few minutes for you to go through and analyse the startup and running processes.

I don't think a 'password-only' option would work all the time, but it would be nice to have the option to set it in certain periods.

Such as in times when you haven't logged out, or when another person 'has' to use your computer, but you know they're shifty.

Or there are times when a family member has to use it, and you want to be able to quickly undo what may have been 'accepted'. File associations from a downloaded program/game. Something that was given the ok to be trusted/ignored through accessing the main GUI.

I think the 'enter password to access' the main interface could be a worthwhile feature. This could also prevent someone from removing a security feature you've enabled.

From memory, I think Mamutu has a password option, but I didn't get the chance to use it.

Do DriveSentry, Norton AntiBot, or any others have anything similar to what I've mentioned?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I am the only one on my computer so it is not a problem. I used to use ProcessGuard and if I recall correctly it did have a password option. Unfortunately, the fate of the developer is uncertain and there have been no updates to this program in 2 years. The free version was very good and may be what you are looking for. It is more complicated to use then WinPatrol though. WinPatrol is very good. Especially the paid version with real time monitoring. I have not tried the other programs you mention. Another option you may want to explore is DefenseWall, www.softsphere.com/
    I don't know if it has a password option, but from what I have seen here on the forums is a well respected and easy to use HIPS program. I have stuck with WinPatrol for several years now. It has had frequent updates, is easy to use, doesn't conflict with AV, AS, firewall software and the developer always responds quickly to any questions. It is tough when you have a HIPS type program with users that have no idea what to do when there is an alert.

5. interact

interact Registered Member

Drivesentry has this feature.

~interact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.