Threatfire instead of UAC?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by masqueofhastur, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Threatfire seems to do some of the same things as UAC, although by my estimation Threatfire is a little less annoying and more useful.

Is Threatfire a reasonable replacement for UAC, allowing me to completely disable it and let Threatfire handle everything? If so, why? (I'd like to have a solid reason for doing it, rather than just a hunch) If not, why?

Thanks

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I just use the Norton UAC tool and it works great. It can kinda whitelist the programs you want to run without the UAC prompt. It does not disable UAC just intercepts it.

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=labs_uac&header=0&depthpath=0

If I was going to run Threatfire (can't on my Vista as it diabled my keyboard) I would just add the Norton UAC Tool instead of disabling UAC altogether. You will still get prompts when programs upgrade but when you get a prompt you can add it to the whitelist. And when you get a UAC prompt it works like it should have been designed in the first place- it gets your attention instead of just having people click on it out of habit.

3. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

Any idea on how compatible it is with Windows 7? With other software I'm quite willing to play with something that doesn't have guaranteed compatibility, but with security software it's something of a necessity. I'm also assuming that I don't need any NIS software (as opposed to the security settings tool)?

4. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

no...threatfire is light years inferior to UAC and if you put your mind to work when alerts occur UAC will save at least your system from ever being down..Threatfire has failed at threats like killdisk and such biggies before..plus UAC isn't buggy *cough threatfire* and does not suck your system dry *cough threatfire*..If you want a beheavioural blocker go with mamutu..threatfire has caused millions of problems,just do a search around here.

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I respect everyone's opinion, but

Mamutu just recently protected against Direct Disk Access, while TF implemented this earlier (regarding Killdisk).

TF's latest uses less CPU, although Mamutu was en is designed for speed, so agree on this.

I would not entirely shut down UAC, use TweakUAC to at least keep the virtualisation goodies and protected mode for IE, when you would consider TF or Mamutu.

When you use UAC Tool of Norton, with UAC and Sully's PGS for SRP, you have a light and powerfull rights protection on your rig.

Regards Kees

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

It doesn't support Windows 7 and isn't really necessary since it was developed to address the annoyances of Vista UAC which MS have gone some way to sorting out in 7.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=uact&thread.id=292

7. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

Like a previous poster in this thread, I can respect that everyone a different opinion.

With that being said, I have been using TF since the 64-bit beta for Windows 7 and am quite pleased with it. It has saved my butt several times, is a nice addition to my running AV and is free. Who can go wrong with that? I have never had a single issue with TF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.