ThreatFire : Difference between "Profiles" & "Rules"?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by b4b4b4, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b4b4b4

b4b4b4 Registered Member

Good evening everybody,​

I'm asking about "ThreatFire" (The well-known behavior-blocker by PCTOOLS)

In fact, the forum support @ PCTOOLS is the worst support I've ever seen.:eek:

The slowest @ all.

Nobody answered to my question @ their forum .

i thought maybe you could help me find an answer to my simple question::-*

1- What's meant by "Profiles" in "ThreatFire"?o_O
    2- What's meant by "Rules" in "ThreatFire" ?o_O
    3- What's the difference between "Rules" & "Profiles" in "ThreatFire"? o_O

=====================================================

Awaiting your responses impatiently !!

Best Regards,

Bayan (\sophos)

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

I suspect a profile is a collection of rules detecting certain malware like behaviour
    see
    http://www.threatfire.com/updates/

a rule sounds like is a simple action allowing or disallowing certain activity start/don't start block etc

3. ichito

ichito Registered Member

They say perhaps about "Sensivity level" - it means how sensitive is behavioral detection...notice about this you find in tab "Settings/General/Sensitivity Level".
    Rules...you can find it in tab "Advanced Tools/Advanced Rule Settings/Custom Rule Settings button - preconfigured and own users rules for aplications.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  4. b4b4b4

b4b4b4 Registered Member

Oh; thank you very much for your post.
    I must have missed this link.
    ok. Now we know what they mean by profiles.

====================================

Do you, sir, have another link that gives us an idea about what they mean by "rules"?

=====================================

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

6. b4b4b4

b4b4b4 Registered Member

Thank you very much for your help; you're so kind.
    Unfortunately, the Online Help didn't explain much about what [rules] mean and how they differ from [profiles]!!
    We still need to know what's meant by [rules] in [ThreatFire].

7. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Ii my modest opinion there are no co-relations between "sensivity levels" and "advanced rules". When you read about users own TF-settings you can find sometimes completely differ settings...some ones have first level and own rules for choosen aplications...some ones fifth level without advanced aplications rules...some ones trust/allow listed aplications, but some ones don't do that. Sometimes users build more rules than you can see...for example registry protection, users folders protection, port listening. There are many options and all depends of users knowledge, skills, experience and what he expect from protection.
    I think you will probably never known about "how and why is it?" works mehanism of TF...such information are rather confidential :) Each security program has own mehanism/technology and you can see that in results of AV tests. When some program/developer try to "borrow" something from other we can have affair like in the past IObit v. MBAM :)

8. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

First, Welcome to Wilders Security Forums b4b4b4

In regards to security, an 'Rule' is an authorative arrangement of instructions explicit to the event of one entity.
    Allowing or Disallowing that spacific event of that entity to proceed or stop.

Example: (this.exe) is allowed access to Port 445, and, (this.exe) is denied access to port 80

In regards to security, an 'Profile' is an authorative arrangement of instructions implicit to the event of several
    entities existing like or similar actions.
    Allowing or Disallowing those spacific events of those entities to proceed or stop.

Example: any (.exe) attempting access to Port 80 and is not an Browser is denied access to Port 80, but, any (.exe)
    is permitted access to Port 445, only if, any (.exe) is Digitally Signed

EDIT: clarity

HKEY1952

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

No need to yell. A rule is a rule. ThreatFire will block or allow (depending on the rule) any behavior you set it to block/allow. As clear as that.

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Maybe this about "levels" can be helpful
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=304986
    In TF we haven't some list of monitored actions...such list is e.g. in Mamutu (or in more or less similar SS) where we can manage by disabling/enabling what action will be detected...but Mamutu have not some defined 'security levels".
    Becouse the levels in TF are based on 5 levels of heuristic sensivity - it does not have a simple and direct relationship with rules which are our decisions to real detected by TF action.
    Hmmm...except for one things:
    - lower level - more processes are automaticaly allowed - less alerts about suspicious actions - less processes are listed as allowed/denied - less apps rules
    - higher level - less processes are automaticaly allowed - more alerts about suspicious actions - more processes are listed as allowed/denied - more apps rules

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.