ThreatFire Anti-Virus Pro 4.1.0.25

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by s23, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s23

s23 Registered Member

Can't find a changelog, but I try it and no "deny" option added. Maybe x64 capabilities added. Anyone here tried it on x64?

2. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

It's highly imperative to the life of this product that a "DENY" option also be included. This issue is been raised so many times by myriads of customers before and user now that it deserves the attention expected from it, otherwise..............

Only time will tell. It's long since been very clear it's a NO BRAINER that feature is sorely needed if nothing else at least for a relief valve against either a malfunction, mistake, of FP of a critical system file. Never mind RESTORE FROM QUARANTINE, that only serves to dissuade users if they have to chase down a "good or wanted" file irregardless of the decision placed on it to been carried off.

I just don't get it. That "DENY" option would and should have already been one of the very first features included which would have elevated the encouragement to attract this BB to the masses.

Am i off base at all in this? If so please elaborate with your own opinions. Thanks.

EASTER

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I think you are wasting your time. I have brought this up too many times, over at thier forum. I gave up. They don't want to add it, even in a pay version, and I don't want to use it without it. Game over.

Sul.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hello Sully

It's a shame they seem bent on chancing the future of what could have already been a magnificient Behavioral Blocker by now, but they risk trashing it by the very issue you mention right off the top.

IMO, a very stubborn lot, that group, if they expect to further interest in TF without it. Many others and myself like you have grown weary of their denial of the facts that this feature is of the utmost importance and AFAIK should have been first in the schematics/drawings to have been implimented instead of ignored.

EASTER

6. s23

s23 Registered Member

Yep... I agree with you, while they not add a "deny" option, think they will continue losing customers for mamutu, prevx and Drivesentry. What is a shame, because despite of system start up little increase, the app is very light and can be a great additional layer to anyone. What they need understand, behavior blockers is intended too to protect "normal" users, users who do not know restart your computer in safe mode or restore things from system restore (ya i know much people who don't know) so a problem with explorer.exe, regedit or another critical component mean a Dead computer and paying for support.

7. Threatfire_Team

Threatfire_Team Registered Member

Hello all--

Just wanted to clarify a few things...

First, here's the link to the change log for this latest maintenance update. This was a minor maintenance update only.

There's a sticky called Updates in our main community forum that will always have the latest details on all the releases.

Secondly, re: the deny button, please note that this definitely is something that we wish to add in just as soon as we're able. Believe me, we have listened to all the feedback and we know this is something that is very much desired. But we want to do it right, and there are some difficulties due to the way TF currently works. So while we can't promise how quickly it will be included, it is definitely in our plans so keep an eye out for this in an upcoming release.

We understand that this is one of those "you'll believe it when you see it" situations, but that's okay because we know we're definitely working on it and we know you'll see it soon. And we'll be sure that you all are among the first to know when it does happen!

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I for one will be only too happy to see that option included. Honestly, that is the ONLY thing that keeps me from using it. There are other areas that could cater to more advanced users as well, but none even close to the deny option.

I still am of the opinion that your free version may not need all the advanced features requested by seasoned veterans, except the deny option. I have said many times over, that I would purchase the program to have certain features.

As you say though, the 'proof is in the pudding'. I have seen many times over at TF forums that the decision not to has been made by higher up authorities, and they stand firm.

Here's hoping.

Sul.

9. Threatfire_Team

Actually, they stood firm--past tense. But after numerous requests over and over again, even from members of our own internal team, they are now also on board.

I encourage you (or anyone) to ask again over at our main support forum if you have further concerns and you should receive pretty much the same answer--that it's in the works!

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

so is the option allow/denny ready for us?and when?thanks:thumb:

11. Threatfire_Team

No, it's not ready now, but it is on the roadmap for one of our upcoming releases. The very next release will address some performance issues, but our plan after that is to tackle the deny button. Timeline both for next performance-centered release and beyond is very much up in the air and so we can't give any exact release dates. But my guess would be some time this summer.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

cool that is good news:thumb: thanks

13. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Finally. Please let us know when it is included.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Threatfire_Team

Many anticipate the DENY option with great expectations, including myself. Our feedback, while seemingly negative, is more an appeal because TF holds great potential to become a very highly regarded and desired product in it's own right. And the mere feature which your team is already implimented in the adding of rules to cover files as well as registry entries, gives it very much usefulness and security even above your competitors.

It's only that the ommission of the DENY rule is been a stopping block for nearly everyone so we're appreciative you are monitoring the comments and opinions even here at Wilder's and we fully expect this issue to finally become resolved for everyone all the way around and so then can move on to new security additions whatever those might be.

So thanks for listening and be it known we are in absolute agreement the adding or rather, return of the "DENY" option will perform a complete turnaround in the interest of TF and all can move on from there.

Thanks

EASTER

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I agree with Sully. Without encouraging you to turn the product into a pay-only program (as many benefit from the free version), I too would pay to use ThreatFire with advanced features.

I only speak for myself, but if competitors can charge around the $30 a year, I don't see why ThreatFire can't charge, say $15 a year for the advanced version with 'those extra features'.

And hopefully you stick around on Wilders to provide TF updates or answer any questions. Not only are there a lot of TF users and potential users here, many of us assist and advise many other 'regular' users not on this forum about security programs.

16. agagouga

agagouga Registered Member

+1
    (Another one waitin for the glorious day of DENY option appearance :D )

17. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

WHOA that soon, you guys work fast :thumb:

18. s23

s23 Registered Member

"...we have listened to all the feedback..."

"...but that's okay because we know we're definitely working on it and we know you'll see it soon..."

Wow this is I want to hear. Waiting for it.

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Ditto:thumb:

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Looking forward to that DENY button so I can try it as well. :thumb:

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well let's face it.

ThreatFire is or can be an extremely unique Behavioral Blocker and who knows, may at some point overtake the already great Mamutu, though i doubt that their in it just for the sake of pulling away Mamutu sales, and besides with the OA/EMSI new alliance, who can say if it will even stay available for much longer.

It's just fair and honest competition like any HIPS, AS, or AV.

Personally going all the way back to CyberHawk, this was a great compliment to any security set up and worked reasonably well enough thoughout it's run as such except FP's got to the customer's and it was never really fixed to users satisfaction.

Now we have a TF wherby you can add rules for the REGISTRY & FILES in the Custom Rules section and with a little more zip, can instantly alert to possible suspicious behavior. To me this is a S.M.A.R.T. technology implimented in it that gives it teeth.

The "DENY" option is needed as a critical need or safety valve just in case of a detour of a default system file. I never was able in it's current form to keep TF from running away with REGEDIT whenever i tested either a script or manually tried to add a string value in the RUN section. Now the script part could been my fault since i didn't add it to the watch list, but still a simple "DENY" option would simply close REGEDIT, period and cancell that behavior or action and that is much safer IMHO.

I look for celebrations the moment that the "DENY" option finally is implimented in it and IMO that should nearly complete this BB as a viable attractive program finally without all the fuss.

EASTER

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Pay attention to this statement. This sums up where TF's market is, IMHO. I can use any security program I want, or none at all. I can use free only or pay. But of all the people I know that have a computer, I bet only 1% would ever come to a place like wilders. And I bet only 5% would even look at different products like TF on thier own without someone telling them about it.

Saraceno has hit the proverbial nail on the head. The business model that is hoped for I would guess would be to sell TF, not just give it away. While I cannot imagine that the likes of us geeks here at wilders would make a great difference in these 'sales', still I think it represents a generic opinion of advanced users. And that opinion has been, it seems, that TF is good, but you have to take unneeded steps when it quarantines. So based on that factor, many have said 'Nope, just not quite good enough for me yet, yet alone my novice friends'.

You want to create a product that sells? Satisfy peeps like those at wilders or other security related forums. Create a buzz of 'this program rocks for me, and I'm going to tell everyone I know because it works so well'.

My opinion anyway.

Sul.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Sully

Right you are, but one item missing in TF's progression sounds off like a megaphone and i have no doubt is the chief underlying delay of allowing quality development to move forward as it should have long ago.

Don't forget who owns the rights to TF, PCTools is a Symantec acquisition now, and they are obviously keeping with their age old agenda of stalling production and throwing the pervebial monkey wrench into what used to be well oiled quality programs. In other words, they rule the roost of TF by yet another contactural buyout.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.