Threatfire 4.1.0.9 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

All cool MB.

I do favour Mamutu, but mainly because its currently lighter than ThreatFire.

Seeing all sorts of user tests on Wilders, I'd have to same their protection is very similar, maybe on default settings compared to Mamutu (without paranoid settings), I'd say TF on Wilders with just the user tests posted, TF might be slightly, and very slightly, ahead.

A friend of mine is a total novice, so I installed Avira free and ThreatFire about a year ago. I went around his place recently, and noticed a ton of applications installed. All legitimate - user intended to install these. Online poker applications, Counter-Strike and similar games, the list goes on. Asked him if he's seen any alerts, he said, 'only last week'. I checked, and Avira had picked up a couple of minor threats.

Scanned with several well-known on-demand programs, scanned for rootkits, spyware, checked all his start-up applications, went through every process with a-squared's hijackfree, analysed these processes through regular google searches, and his system was A+. What's even better, no user interaction was needed, no confusing alerts during his whole time playing online games, downloading all sorts of programs, with these two programs running.

I guess what I'm getting at, sometimes it can be the other programs we have running. And as shown in recent 'new user' posts, some users have several behaviour and malware programs running at once. So when a touchpad or keypad goes down, and the whole system is screwed, I question, was it ThreatFire, or ThreatFire quarantining a system process that is being 'hooked/injected/monitored by' (whatever the term is) by another 'anti-malware' application, therefore making the system process appear 'suspicious'.

Maybe it's more a compatibility issue. That is, either TF needs to make their product more compatible, or the other program needs to make their program more compatible with TF.

But with say a few applications running, TF + (simple) AV, I haven't seen a problem.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I used Cyberhawk and then Threatfire for awhile after the name change without problems. I even recommended it to several people as a good security enhancement that was easy to use. In later builds though I had trouble with TF interfering with some applications running or certain functions of those applications with no alerts from TF whatsoever. My father even began having problems getting some links on a website (CNN I believe) to open whenever TF was running. When it was suspended they would open fine. After the annoying blocks without prompts and especially the prospect of possibly having a major system component quarantined or having my keyboard killed we stopped using TF. A shame too because before those issues the only complaint I had with it was the lack of a "Deny" option in the program.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it may be off topic but i think that D.S.A will be a good free replacement for T.F:D it has the allow/denny option we all want to see in T.F:)

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Jmonge,

DSA was an amazing application at the time. Why do you use AppGuard and DefenseWall. DW has more to offer?

Cheesr

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will be testing appguard to see how it works

6. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Can someone plz give me a direct download link for the beta with Vista x64 support? I can't register at that crappy pc tools forum, I get not activation mail.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Try this:

http://www.threatfire.com/files/tfbeta64.exe

8. Julian

Julian Registered Member

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

What in the sam hill is Symantec PCTools doing?.......dragging their feet so much on a product that could not only be marketable but profitable if only they would not offer hearing service only but enact many of the great recommendations voiced by their users time and time again.

TF was nearly (Like CyberHawk) on the verge of fashioning a most unique approach short of a full blown HIPS only to seem content to simply sit on it AS-IS IN IT'S present form.

This still reminds me of the proverbial Hot Potatoe. If whatever, finances, lack of sales and so on stay this path, then TF is destined to end up another in a string of what once were good apps taking it on the chin. But hey it's their greenback to waste OR conserve for other more pressing problems i suppose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.