Threatfire 4.1.0.9 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by firzen771, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I agree totally,Mamutu is light years ahead in this respect and I'm disappointed that this beta hasn't addressed what is a serious issue.My advice to users of TF remains the same,make sure you keep an up to date disk image on hand,you will require it.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

haha, dont i know it, couldnt even log on to winodws after installation let alone getting that far :p

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

How is the current state of this beta?

4. firzen771

not sure, havent tryed it again since my first problem and im not planning to.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Finally a 64bit version. It took them like a year for this. I just hope this beta won't last for another year...

7. risl

risl Registered Member

It is very annoying that if I make a rule to ask if some program is allowed to make an internet connection, only options I have is to kill/quarantine the process or allow it. I can't let the program run and just block the internet access. Hopefully the "smarter" alerts will fix this.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I hadn't hear about a plan for "smarter" alerts. Can you say more about that?

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Are you running Vista, by any chance?

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The support doesn't seem to be nothing special...

Is there some free program like this one?

I don't like HIPS...

11. firzen771

most of the info and feedback on the beta is in the BETA forum, not in threatfire forum, u need to ask for access to it.

12. risl

risl Registered Member

No, I don't run Vista and ..

Threatfire's new beta now supports 64-bit!

Key new features:

* Smarter Alerts, Less Questions – patent-pending technology
    * Support for Windows Vista 64-bit
    * Updated threat detection technology

This was mentioned in the first post: "smarter alerts"

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Has anyone tested how hard does ThreatFire affect battery on laptop?
    I'd install it on my laptop but i'm afraid it would drain the battery too much.

14. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Does it still insist on Quarantining 'suspect' files instead of simply giving you the option to deny the action?
    Weird given that this package once was Cyberhawk and had that very same option!!

Just wait till it decides to do it on a 'core' file, explorer.exe, for example!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rdsu
    Massive Poster Join Date: Jun 2003

Re: Threatfire 4.1.0.9 BETA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The support doesn't seem to be nothing special...

Is there some free program like this one?

I don't like HIPS...

Don't worry, Threatfire isn't a HIPS package, it's a Behaviour Blocker.
    Completely different thing altogether.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

That is why my interest in ThreatFire, and I will wait for the final version... :)

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Personally i would like to see TF finally hit paydirt and release a version that not only adds the DENY option but zeroes in on the offending source file (.exe) and not carry off my system files to Quarantine like it does with REGEDIT, etc.

Djames is just not offering the answers users really are looking for, but then he is only relaying what they confine him to say in reply. Would be nice if a developer would chime in occasionally and let TF expectants know for sure what they can expect and if they will advance TF beyond where it's stalled at right now IMO. The mere fact of being able to import/export rules in TF would be another step ahead.

Still waiting myself..........................EASTER

17. firzen771

im waiting here to :( might be a LONG wait though it seems...

18. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

So, any more news on this beta?

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It was already released...

New In Threatfire V4.1

;)

20. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

But it doesnt support vista 64 bit

21. firzen771

the real beta hasnt been released, they still have a beta going, and once its released THEN it will support x64

22. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

I know people are waiting for ThreatFire to have a deny option.

I'm wondering though, as no-one complains about paying for Mamutu, if ThreatFire start charging say $15 a year for their product, will people pay for it?

Or would the paid version need 'extra' features to justify the outlay of $$?

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

They wouldn't need to start charging $15 a year for their product. All they need to do, is to kill their free version, which compared to paid one, needs to have community feedback on, so that it updates automatically.
    That's the only difference.

But, I also wonder if people would be paying a product that, according to some people complaining, kills their keyboard and touchpad.

Mamutu, on the other hand, is a worth paying tool. I already tested it, and plan on using it soon.

I guess that, if, PCTools, kills their free version, most people will, either not use any alike tool, unless they find one other freebie, or will go to Mamutu.

Perhaps, the reason why they haven't done it so already?

I mean, what's the purpose of having both free and paid, if the difference is just the one I mentioned above?

Makes me wonder...

24. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

True, but I've also used Mamutu, and believe any of these behaviour monitoring programs are not fully 'novice-proof'.

While using Mamutu, I noticed it popped up a couple of times a suspicious action and to quarantine 'explorer.exe'. Once it contacted the community database after the timed limit (30 seconds or so), this message went away. But if I was a new user, panicked, and selected 'quarantine', could have caused a big problem.

Depends on the user, and what programs they have installed. I know a lot of people where ThreatFire has never thrown up a single alert, ever. Same with Mamutu.

Overall, it's default setting provides solid protection. Yes it can get better and improve.

But just like I see the value in people paying for the premium version, say Avira, for example, I do think TF is worth $$. Plenty, and I mean plenty, of worse programs out there charging people. Also, all programs (AVs, anti-spyware, firewalls etc) have reported user problems. :)

25. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I agree. It depends on the user. But, I guess that it is a matter of who sets up the system, sets it up to be secure, but not that much intrusive.

I don't think that a "novice" would, by him/herself install such applications. But, I guess that's why they both have different levels of experience. But, again, such setups would need to be done by someone who knows how to tweak them for fewer alerts possible, without sacrificing protection, by applying other security measures.

Yes, indeed. There's no single application without it's glitches. But, at this precise moment, and let's forget the alerts, if someone asks you which would be a better paying asset, which one, between Mamutu and ThreatFire, would you advice, considering the complainings done towards one and the other?

I'd advice Mamutu. And, at a first glance not due to more or fewer alerts, more or less protection (they both are great), rather because of the complainings towards ThreatFire about blocking keyboard and touchpad.

Even I don't dare to install ThreatFire. :D Except in virtual machines, that is. ;)
    So, I would never advice it, as a preference of my own. I would advice people to be careful if wanting to use it, though, based on what I see other people saying about those two products.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.