ThreatFire 3.5 Release

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pctools, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denniz

denniz Registered Member

And there we have it, it's all about money. A corporate network not willing to cough up cash to protect there corporate network. Seriously, is 600 dollar that much to invest in your corporate security?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

It is if; 1)you have lost faith in the product, 2)cannot justify the added expense or 3)are losing $ and cannot afford another expense.

3. morgrum

morgrum Registered Member

Right, well I thought it was decent for being free. Now that it isn't, however, I'm not sure it's worth that much. I was considering buying it, but I wouldn't shell out that much unless I couldn't do without it, which I can.

I was testing on our network, and it seems pretty decent. I'm just not that sure of it.

If it were more transparent to the admin (e.g., detailed logs of what it's doing on each machine, slightly-more granular controls, centralized management, more-detailed documentation) I'd feel more comfortable about spending money on it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Shame you couldn't get a volume-discount. A lower price may be justifiable...

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Ditto. I like it.

6. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

You bring up a good point, PC Tools could subsidize the free consumer version with a corporate edition (with realtime anti-virus) that catered to admin needs and enterprise environments. If they marketed businesses they could come out on top. Just a thought. Of course volume discounts would come into play, I work for a 40,000+ employee company... :) If you ask me, Symantec has a Voodoo hold on enterprise IT, it's time for the small players to wake IT up.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If TF is charging corporate clients with $$$, and provides home users free of charge, then I would highly commend your right move.

Corporate identities use TF along with other programs in the module of making money(business wise), and all expenditures are tax deductible, in other words, they are getting it for free, although they have to pay it beforehand.

For this, I salute PCTools for their Robinhood's spirits.;)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I decided not to use ThreatFire :
    1. I have Anti-Executable on board, which means that each unauthorized executable is already killed before ThreatFire can even warn me. I'm not going to wait until TF detects something that bypassed AE. If my other security softwares don't catch it, my boot-to-restore will remove it.

2. TF has a much lower detection rate than AE regarding executables.

3. I wouldn't call TF a software for average users, because the user has still to decide to allow it or not.

4. In my frozen system partition the answer to TF would be always DENY, because a frozen system partition never needs a ALLOW.

If I'm wrong try to convince me. :)

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Erik:

I highly respect your opinion, but for the sake of amusement...

AE's white lists and your frozen system model may have indeed rendered your tastes to sugar(sweet) and salt(bitter and salty) only.

How about others ? Sometimes you just need these to enrich your appetite. :)

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That depends on how well the alert information is explained to the user. From what I've seen the alerts are very well explained.

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Possibly I really am as crazy as my wife tells me I am.
    However, I am gratefull for free quality software.
    When used with my other security programs I fell well protected.
    Regards.
    Hugger

12. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Trying out the new version and so far so good.
    No high cpu with the freeze up that I got with the earlyer versions.
    Hopefully it stays that way or its gone again.
    Of course it's only been on a day, I'll have to wait a few days to see if it happens again.
    Always took 3 or 4 days before it acted up in the past.

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm open for any suggestion, but
    1. my frozen snapshot is a must.
    2. no security softwares based on blacklists.
    I expect only one thing from my security softwares : immediate stop of the execution of any malware by using whitelists, sandboxes, policies, SRP, ... or any other invention. :)

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

So far so good for me too. CPU usage is slightly lower than the previous version and startup seems faster as well.

15. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Kees1958,

Do the excellent rules you posted at https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183020 in August still apply with v3.5.0.21? I will be using only DW and TF and I will uninstall WinPatrol and NOD32.

Many thanks,

Silver

16. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Nope, 3.5 is excellent. You can skip all except the outbound protection rule (Defense Wall's resource protection takes care of registry also)

17. silver0066

Thank you for the quick response.

18. silver0066

I removed NOD32, but I kept WinPatrol installed to see if it picked up StartUp programs as well as Threatfire.

WinPatrol picked them up, Threatfire did not.

Do you have any suggestions as to a rule that would give a popup if new startup programs are added?

Many thanks,

Silver

19. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

threatfire 3.5 has issues with AVG 8.0, its crashes my system, hard to start my pc.

it uses a lot or system resources.

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Evidently Kees is no longer monitoring this thread. I suggest you send a PM to Kees1958 with your question. If you decide to do that, please ask him to post his answer in this thread, also -- I'm curious as to the answer.

21. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

You could monitor the registry run/run once entries.

I do believe this was mentioned in the previous thread.

22. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@Silver0066 and Bellgamin,

I know TF monitors some startup locations, but when you want to be absoluely sure (display is blue now anyway, so easy recognisable) you can add registry (with \), outbound (When any proces Creates 1 network connection) and file protection as shown original thread in https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=183020

23. silver0066

bellgamin,

Thanks. I have switched to DW and Rising AV/FW with Kees1958 settings. I also uninstalled WinPatrol and installed Anvir Task Manager in its place.

I really like this setup. Seems to be very tight and it is very light on resources.

Silver

24. nasdaqms

nasdaqms Registered Member

it need so called set-it and forget-it settings,users are not totally advanced users ,so TF should provide the friendly settings for generally users.i think.

proactive defense--TF protects you when other antivirus give up

the detection rate need to improve ,and sometimes,the setup appeared some problems.@ corruption or other things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.