Threat Fire Issues

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Escalader, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

FWIW:

I installed and updated TF as a test today.

Soon I found that SAS and PG 2 would not launch at all. Also PerfectDisk 2008 refused to function.

After I removed TF these 3 programs all returned to normal function.

I draw no conclusions from this experiment other than I will not be using TF.

Your results may vary.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I held reasonably confident fate in Novatix's Cyberhawk during it's brief run in spite of sometimes persistent minor i'll call them, issues of FP's. But since it's transfer over to ThreatFire i haven't been able to experience near the same quality of prevention that i used to enjoy with CyberHawk, and is the chief reason i reverted back to some early versions of it instead of running headlong into TF like many others who seem now to be finding issues of conflicts with other programs and the like.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It works fine for me. Very stable. Plays nicely with other children.

4. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

TF runs fine for me, no problems. I have SAS (free) and it gets along well with TF on my computers. The only concession I make to TF is to suspend it when installing a trusted program. (I first try programs while protected by Returnil, and/or if they require a reboot I make sure they have a good name about the net and I scan them at VirusTotal and with my own scanners.)

Oh wait, I do have one program that won't function quite right with TF running (but only on one of my computers) and that is LockNote. I have to suspend TF to use it on that system but not on the other, its weird. No other conflicts though.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Might be a conflict with PG. Try to post over their forums. I have used it with many security applications without any problems.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I for one am gravely disappointed but not daunted that apps such as Novatix's CyberHawk deemed it a need to seek refuge in PC Tools in a similar manner that Leapfrog handed over FD-ISR over to HorizDataSys.

Seems no matter how much attention and research goes into apps like these after transfers, and others, their originating programmers have proven to offer the best releases with minimal issues in comparison.

But since all that is a mute issue, your only alternative is to resort to their own respective supports and chance a solution to those current problems.

EASTER

7. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

The only problem I have with TF is when on level 4 or 5 and I'm compiling a VB program, I'll get a linker error. On level 3 or less it works fine. I posted on their forums but have not gotten a solution from them. I leave TF running on 3, running fine with GesWall free and AntiVir free. A2 squared as on demand.

Ice

8. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Escalader,

Don't you use Online-Armor? If so, that is your problem, as far as SAS is concerned anyway. OA, SAS and TF do not play well together. OA and TF together also upsets Sandboxie.

9. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

ThreatFire works fine on my computer. I also use SAS.

I had used the trial of PerfectDisk 2008 a few months back and it also didn't conflict.

10. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

if my memory serves me right u use OA too right?you made the necessary tweaks needed for 2 HIPS applications to co-exist together?let easter scream all he wants TF is nice,light,prooves its worth every day and as belg said it plays nice with other children

11. hammerman

Do you use Online-Armor? OA with TF has proved to be a problem for me. It prevents me from running SAS or Sandboxie.

12. Someone

Hi

I currently don't use Online Armor. But I tried it a few months back for a few days with SAS and Sandboxie and nothing seemed wrong.

13. hammerman

Online Armor is fine with SAS and Sandboxie. However, the problem occurs when you add Threatfire into the mix. The following combinations did not work for me.

OA + TF + SAS (problem with SAS)
    OA + TF + SBIE (problem with SBIE)

14. Someone

Hi

I meant a few months back I tried both
    TF + OA firewall + SAS free + SBIE free and
    TF + OA free + SAS free + SBIE free

and they worked, at least for the few days I used it.

15. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I use Threatfire on default (3) and have no problems with opening/using PG2, nor SAS.
    Works pretty much problem free, here.

16. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

On an Xp Home machine after playing around with a few combinations I found:

TF and Avira free = won’t go into hibernate
    TF and OA free = won’t go into hibernate
    TF and BOClean = OK
    TF and AVG8 = almost unbootable

After a few tries I was able to uninstall AVG8 before the system locked up.

On Vista eventually I am unable to access the gui through the tray icon and the system slows down. Battery life on my Vista laptop seemed to be much reduced also.

I also had a problem with TF and Perfectdisk 8 during boot time defrag but that had been fixed in the latest version of TF for me.

Given the unpredictable nature of conflicts with other software I am reluctant to recommend it to mainstream users. I currently am not using TF now but will give it another chance with the next version.

17. Someone

Hi

That's strange.

A few months back I tried both
    AntiVir free + TF + OA firewall + SAS free + SBIE free and
    AntiVir free + TF + OA free + SAS free + SBIE free

and they worked, at least for the few days I used it.

Overall, ThreatFire seems the best in terms of security :thumb: but seems buggy to quite a lot of users...:oops:

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Have used this combo without problems on more than one PCs. It,s my security combo of choice which I install for my friends, co-workers etc.

19. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello again:

Thanks for all the posts guys we are like economists some times each with their own views.

What I was doing when these issue hit my set up was as follows:

1) just added SAS (paid) to my layered defenses.
    2) temporarily removed OA (a beta version) that was causing problems ( don't ask here please)
    3) added back the real Kerio 2.1.15 to do some basic rule work for later replication in OA
    4) Added TF to replace the lost HIPS when I took OA off.

At this point, PerfectDisk 2008 went crazy causing auto rebooting. But now I remember (I think) that there is a conflict twixt PerfectDisk and a file used by Kerio. I also lost the SAS icon and the PG 2 icon in the task bar!

So for now I'll just ignore defragging and finish my rule work in kerio. Then I'll
    revert to a stable OA = FW + HISP and all should be normal ( for me) again.

That's the plan anyway.

See you later

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.