Thoughts On Stand Alone Firewalls Future

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mannaggia, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

With just about all the big named security software companies coming out with a suite, do you think that the stand a lone firewall will still have a place in computer security in the not too distant future? Or will it eventually become extinct?

2. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

It could be that the opposite may be true.
    With users becoming more mobile, a software firewall, live CD OSes, and removable storage and even hard disks at affordable prices, sandboxing and virtualization apps, encryption and not to mention routers and security appliances becoming ever smaller, people may not want the expense, hassle or bloat of a software suite, or even place all their security trust in the hands of one vendor.
    Suites could also be seen as a desperation move for the security software companies to generate revenue, trying to keep up with the Jonses and including the latest fear marketing buzzwords: "solutions", "rootkit", "spam", "parental control", etc. None of them want the common end user to know about the above.;)

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

There's room for both suites and stand alone apps. They basically target different types of users. The average user doesn't want to assemble their own suite. They want a vendor to handle those problems. The more security conscious advanced user will want to choose the components that best serve their needs. With more people getting online all the time, both markets have room to grow.
    Rick

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

When I first started I didn't care if I had a suite or stand alone products on my computer, but after the first month I definitely wanted to get rid of some programs. I guess I am not the average user. But those average users they wont really care, just as long as it works reasonably well. I guess both Suites and Stand alones will share the future market place.

5. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

For great mass of users (90% of market), I don't think there'll be a big market for separate firewalls.

People like simple, "install and forget it" bundles. Even if they don't work that well.

For the enthusiasts, hobbyists and pros the situation will be different, imho.

Nobody has so far produced a suite that is efficient, light weight (cpu/mem) and best of breed.

When that happens, the days of separate security apps could in theory be finished.

however, I don't see that happening any time soon.

All the suites on offer now are big, bloated, inefficient and clearly not best of breed.

6. noway

noway Registered Member

Anything promising seems to be developed by the little guy and eventually gets bought out by someone big and either discontinued or ruined. I hope that my next favorite firewall has most of the bugs fixed before this happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.