Thoughts on berly

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Bruce99, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce99

Bruce99 Registered Member

What do you think about Beryl ?

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Most interesting. It's an alternative to kde, gnome etc.? Highly customizable?
    The screenshots are very interesting:thumb:
    Do you use it?

3. mrisis

mrisis Registered Member

Re: Thoughts on beryl

I use it on ubuntu 6.10 and love it.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

This is too futuristic for me, The 3D Desktop Cube was too much for me.
    I still have problems with multiple 2D Windows on my desktop.

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It seems as you can choose what you want.

6. Bruce99

yip, I digg it :)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i use beryl and really like it. it's still very early days so in time there will be lots more useful things, and as it's open source there will be lots more things than windows and macs opengl stuff put together, it was just updated a few days ago so it's even better then most of the pictures and videos showing it :cool: here's a video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eDI4-IH58s
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=beryl

you can enable/disable as little, or much, as you like. i've disabled the wobbly windows, also there are lots of settings for most of the options, so, for example, if you don't like the way programs maximise and minimise you can make it use a different effect.

here's my desktop -

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4792/screenshotxv7.th.png

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4162/screenshot1ai8.th.png

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/1994/screenshotdesktopft5.th.png

it has lots of GUI effects with transparent stuff too, all to do with openGL which is somekind of graphics standard or protocol that all the major OSes are using - linux, vista and OSX

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

beryl is actually a window manager, whereas gnome and KDE are desktop environments. that means you can replace either the gnome, or KDE, window managers for beryl (gnome uses metacity, KDE uses kwin) and still use both as normal. :)

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

excellent! I love my desktop cube.
    I've also been using Compiz for awhile.

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ok, so there's the X window system, then a window manager(this example), and on top a desktop environment (and beryl can use KDE too)?
    KDE is not only desktop, but there's a KDE window manager?
    TIAo_O

11. ErikAlbert

Does it take much time to create such visual effects ?

12. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I never have used it, but the install is pretty simple, you need a decent graphics card, then all the effects just happen while you work.

However, I feel that it doesn't really offer anything in terms of productivity for me at all, and my graphics card and computer are 7 years old, so I don't think it would really work on my system (also, I am using OpenBSD so no 3D rendering due to those blobs).

Dwm makes me very productive and effecient, not to mention it takes up insanely low amounts of ram (under 1 MB :D ), so I don't think I will be switching

Cheeers,

Alphalutra1

13. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the info. I skip this one anyway. I'm educated on sober mainframe terminals, so I'm not a gadget man. These beautiful images would distract me too much in my work and last but not least, I don't have the talent to do something amazing with it. :)
    Cheers too,

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it's very complicated and i don't know much about it. but, there's the graphics card that uses drivers which support the graphics spec openGL. then there's XGL, a composite extension to help X (which was designed for 2D stuff) and the use of buffers to hold everything in memory rather then drawing things straight to the screen. beryl and compiz are composite managers that work with XGL. lol, something like that anyway, i was reading about it yesterday and understood it all perfectly then :ninja:

but, yes you can use beryl with KDE. it just happens that the level they have implimented this graphics stuff is at the window manager level and KDE can use other window managers then kwin, which it normally uses. window managers just draw things on the screen. KDE uses the qt libs, or toolkit, to style everything. that's all you'll get out of me because i really know next to nothing about it all lol

15. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Attached Files:

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have several PCs with powerful cards but I don't see any merit in using 3D visualization on a 2D screen. Besides, I'm not into fancy stuff, no matter how cool it looks. Does not add to productivity - or anything else for that matter. Of course, beats the living daylights out of Vista, which is great.
    Mrk

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I watched someone playing with Beryl and its nice.
    But at the end of the day - beyond the eye candy it does'nt offer any useful functionality for me (especially on a low/old spec machine).

I do remember spotting a glitch with the cube - its done by grabbing screen shots and can actually end up out of date to what is currently displayed on a desktop.

But overal I am impressed with this and like the way it fits in with KDE and Gnome.

18. Bruce99

heh, seems beryl is pretty well loved :)

... if only it was supported on Slackware :(

19. ErikAlbert

Another question : can you actually USE these beautiful things, like the cube for instance or is it just decoration. For instance can I click on something to open it and can I turn around the cube to click on something on the back side. :D

20. Alphalutra1

Yep, it is fully functional and is not just drawing stuff up that looks cool :D

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

21. Alphalutra1

What do you mean o_O

It needs a 2.6.* kernel, xorg, a graphics driver for your card, etc. It will work on any distribution.

Just type in something to the effect of
    Code:
    slackware beryl
    in google, and I received various how-tos amoung the first couple of searches (some even from the beryl wiki)

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

one of the recent linux magazines had the Sabayon distro as a cover disc as a livecd, beryl was included on it and worked perfectly with my nvidia card :cool:

23. Meriadoc

Sabayon is nice, with beryl as default.
    Sabayon distro-'The official Beryl distro, offers beryl installed by default'.
    More Beryl distros, instructions.

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Knoppix has it too? I wouldn't expect that. Is Knoppix a complete and well supported (updates, etc) distribution?

25. Meriadoc

Knoppix has a lite and maxi edition in English and German.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.